• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

[Samurai House] To live by the sword...

5tar

Hasegawa Sumaru, a strange abnormality in the strange world of Nekovalkyrja and cybernetic echos of humanity coexisting in a dream of what was, continually perpetrating on-wards in it's existence of self made evolution. He was born a nobody, a citizen in a countless empire of people so vast that numbers do no justice. He was a boy, who had became a man; with a wish. But not everything that glitters is gold, and aether may shine bright - but it burns hotter then the fire of a sun.

He had lived his life following his dreams, but those dreams were mere illusions. He achieved greatness, but that greatness was a false, a mask that he had though was his own. The shell his soul resided in was not his own, the second ever NH-27 Nekovalkyrjan case was not an honor, but a way to appease. The body no matter how many years he trained with it, no matter how hard he worked at it, never belonged to him. He was not like the great samurai he had embodied himself to be, he had never truly grasped the greatness of the ones he trained under. His only failure was he was born a man, not a Neko.

For days after his great failure Sumaru had relinquished his cherished position as Sora's guardian, shamefully accepting his defeat before the elders and offering his robes willingly. From then on he took to the remote quarter of the Samurai house, where countless nights he would sit awake staring up high at the stars, wondering if he ever truly had a destiny among them. Turning away any visitors, answering no messages.

Then as the full moon rose high up over head, he had decided his own fate. With a traditional letter of 'no resurrection' laying beside him, sealed with his own personal mon, Sumaru did the only thing he could do to escape his shame. Blade in hand he plunged deep into the core of his being, set his brain to shut down and his body to destroy itself - using the measures set aside to not allow Yamataian tech to fall into the wrong hands. As he felt the pain of the blade deep within his soul, he could feel his systems shutting down; one by one. A peaceful calm washed over what was left of his consciousness, and as he fell over onto the matted floor he could see magnificent array of colors as different layers of his optic sensors were turning off.

His eyes fought to focus on one of the Yamataian maples just outside the open wall in-front of him. The blood red leaves blowing gently in a breeze. "My life came like dew, disappears like dew. All I lived is dream after dream," his last words, his death poem. After that came the soft embrace of the darkness, the simple nothingness of thought and feeling gone. The seconds passed, and the boy who dreamed... was nothing more.

Not long later a simple message was sent to Sora, the message dated and saved on network until the moment past midnight;

"I'm sorry. Our destinies were never supposed to meet, were they? I was too busy playing your lover knight, and you were always meant for greater things. I wanted to be something to you, but in truth I was nothing. I was too foolish, and put you in real danger. I'll stop playing pretend now, and go to sleep to be in my dreams forever now...

I cherish those moments we had, I loved you. But I know now--- you can't truly love me too."

Elsewhere...

The white silk of Ketsurui Sora's nightgown was out of place with the service belt she wore, the daisho secured by her right hip and the service pistol in its holster on her left. The moonrise was just reaching its peak above the Ketsurui princess laying on the roof of the palace. She had started the nightly ritual of coming to the roof to watch the moonrise shortly after Sumaru resigned as her protector and shut her out completely. It hurt that her best friend and lover had turned away from her... No matter how much she had tried to see Sumaru or speak to him, he had refused. She was training daily at Samurai house under Chizuru-sensei but to her disappointment, not once had she seen him.

She missed him. It hurt that he had left. It was Serizawa all over again. Sumaru had abandoned her. The happier memories were fleeting and made the pain so much worse. She vividly had nightmares reliving the incident on Kotori where the Shadow Vipers nearly claimed her life and her other failures from her time on the Sakura and Plumeria. For the first time in years, she was simply alone. She had other silent protectors at the palace and her family but there was no one left that really knew her.

After midnight, her multi-function bracelet chirped, "Message from Sumaru".

She had never been more excited to get a text message. All the possibilities of what he had to say after the silence rushed through her mind as she opened the message.

"I'm sorry. Our destinies were never supposed to meet, were they? I was too busy playing your lover knight, and you were always meant for greater things. I wanted to be something to you, but in truth I was nothing. I was too foolish, and put you in real danger. I'll stop playing pretend now, and go to sleep to be in my dreams forever now...

I cherish those moments we had, I loved you. But I know now--- you can't truly love me too."

Sora stared at the message. "..go to sleep? Y..you can't truly..." Tears swelled up in her eyes as she read the words over again. She felt her heart get ripped from her chest. She knew what this meant. He had become a samurai and he had chosen to die by the sword. She didn't know what to do. She had to tell his family, send them his belongings but what else could she do? The ritual was usually accompanied by the wive committing jigai to follow her samurai husband into the afterlife but.. she was not Sumaru's wife, no matter how much he had longed for that dream.

She closed her eyes and listened to the rustling of leaves on the wind, the hushed whispers of palace gossip and the footfall of the guards patrolling the roof and the grounds below. There was really one course of action she could take now. She decided that she would dedicate her path to destroying the Shadow Vipers. Everything that led up to Sumaru leaving was as a result of the Planet Kotori incident. She had not been strong enough to protect herself. She had not been strong enough to save Sumaru.

"I will get stronger. I have to live the life that would make him proud." Sora opened her eyes and rose to her feet, gathering her composure. She looked at the moon once more and sadly declared, "I loved you, Sumaru," before she disappeared from the roof.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back