• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

SAoY Communicator/Integrated Uniform Tech Discussion

Toshiro

As some of you know, I'm working on an SAoY uniform which has a layer dedicated to technology. It's intended to integrate communicator functionality into the Uniform and even allow Mini-Neko to enjoy it. What I need are recommendations on what technology we need for Communicator tech since it seems that previous efforts to dictate that have stalled. Might I have some input?

Current communicator: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:equipment:communicator_type_36

Like it seems pretty complete to me. My only comment would be that Non Neko users need to have options for how they interface with it. With a Neko, you can just be like 'it connects into their spine' but not everyone has one.

I've been pondering that. Perhaps some sort of mental transceiver tech in the neck and shoulders that's pointed
"up" at the head, based on streamlined PA tech? I'm up for suggestions there. I was also under the impression that the Type 36 Communicator was somehow insufficient and I wanted to know what needed to be changed.

I don't think non-neko PA uses any sort of mental transceivers or what not. But I think a simple volumetric interface would probably work better.

That said, I feel like the type 36 is perfectly sufficient for it's purposes.

I do think that the backs of the gloves could be used as an Omnihue display or have volumetric emitters. Have yet to work out the details.

I don't think non-neko PA uses any sort of mental transceivers or what not. But I think a simple volumetric interface would probably work better.
The M6 Daisy used to feature a generic "brain reader" technology that, while inferior to a Neko utilizing its SPINE, worked well enough for non-Neko beings.

That tech kinda debuted in the M3 Kylie ... at least, that's the first time I remember seeing it in Yamataian armors. You had to be wearing the armor's helmet though.

Is there an analogue for that in a worn communicator? I'm skeptical. Seems like you'd start diving into telepathy -- potentially organic telepathy -- and that might invite a host of problems.

From my understanding, telepathy in SARP can't read, only project. Reading is actual specialized projection.

Not sure what Soban means. Receiving exclusively by sending isn't a concept I can understand.

Also, it had to be good enough for the AIES to work with it in the Kylie and Daisy. It also had to be small enough to fit in the PA alongside the person without adding additional bulk. I'm not married to the idea, just trying to think of possibilities to explore with it.

Yeah, I'm with you. The generic tech is there, and we've seen it work. But only in helmets, i.e. on top of the brain.

If it was put into a uniform, maybe you'd have to get it close to the brain ... maybe the collar is close enough? In a cover?

To further reduce bulk, maybe it wouldn't be an "active" brain reader. Instead, more like an RFID chip that uses the brain's own electricity? Though how it would get power from the brain when it's embedded in a uniform collar ... hm. Seems like it'd have to be in a cover.

As far as my reference to telepathy: the generic brain reader tech we used in the Kylie and Daisy reads organic brain waves and translates them into actions the armor understands. It wasn't reading thoughts, and you had to be wearing the helmet.

That is in contrast to how SPINE via PANTHEON works, where it's actually translating the very thoughts of a Neko into actions, communication, so on. The functional understanding was that it's all digital anyway, so a Neko's thoughts are really just another kind of digitized data. "Thinking at the speed of Neko."

To get the same functionality a Neko gets from the Type 36 Communicator, I think you'd need to read the thoughts of an organic being. Even with a brain reader in a convenient place, that's not quite the same level of functionality.

Clearly also thinking aloud here.

On the new uniforms, they have the teal triangular "crystal" that's a volumetric projector and communicator. It's close enough to the head to pick up SPINE signals and re-transmit them, which could let character do things like, perhaps remote-control a TASHA M9 Spider-Tank.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back