• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission SAoY Musician Occupation

demibear

Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
🎖️ Game Master
Character Forum Mod
🎨 Media Gallery
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=stararmy:occupations:musician
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Yamatai (except Elysia)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
The other occupation Wes expressed interest before. It is rather bare, but figure I will present this at the same time as Journalist is submitted. Would love to hear if anyone has any ideas to fill it out more.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Not sure about it being a full occupation. IRL such a position is a Special Duty assignment. I've had a couple of friend doing it in the Air Force.

I don't want to be a downer to Demibear or discourage people from submitting for Yamatai so I've been trying to think of a way to put this delicately because I really do appreciate that Demibear is making an effort to help expand the SAOY.

Here's the issue: the article is basically just a stub rather than a full-size article. It weighs in at only 92 words and has very little detail. Where do musicians serve? What types of bands and instruments does the Star Army employ? Where and when to they perform? Maybe I'm asking for too much here? I could have made this article like this myself but I asked for someone else make it because I was hoping for something that would make me go "wow." I didn't go wow.

Other than that I'm a little iffy on the job color. I feel like band members would have something flashy colored.

Again I appreciate this submission and it's better than nothing and I would give it my FM approval if it's all were going to get but I really would like to see something more expansive. We can work together if you like to come up with some of the ideas. For example I am 100% certain there's a Star Army Taiko band. I'm also thinking of a Nekovalkyrja band that resembles the Kyoto Tachibana SHS Band (e.g. a mostly female marching band that is incredibly well-practiced and precise and dances while playing, and has a feminine, cheerful style rather than the rigid traditioanl military band style. Then more somber, serious bands for ceremonies. Also Star Army musicians would do things like play at funeral services.

Oh that is fine Wes. That is exactly what I am looking for. Couldn't find much from the real military bands to give it any life beyond that. They aren't sexy enough I suppose. But given that description now, II think I can write more given the dual nature a band can take. Cheery when not a ceremony and getting serious when it is a ceremony.

Did you have an idea for a color?

You can put this thread on hold please.

@Nashoba musician is a full MOS series in the Army and Marines with a separate code for each instrument and role like conductor or drum major.

Yeah you can just sign up for the army as a bass player. Gotta be like an E6 or officer to be a drum major, heh.

Maybe instead of having a particular panel color, SAoY bandsmen just get to wear a throwback tricorner hat with an obsolete ceremonial sash over the Type 32 coat. They would probably be red panels for being musical technicians (or whatever color they were trained as if it’s like the USAF) underneath. Good military bands tend to get unique uniforms, so shy of making something new, using retro components could be cool.

That's awesome but they need SOMETHING for a color, right?

EDIT: How about Hinomaru Maroon?
EDIT EDIT: Or Kikyō Lavender?

Last edited:
Kikyo Lavender is good. I like the idea of being being patriotic. We should try it next to the infantry cornflower blue to make sure it's not too similar.

See attached for comparison

Attachments

• colors.jpg
    colors.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 8
I was reminded of this earlier at the mention of Hatsune Miku by a certain someone in the Discord. I was thinking that the Musician occupation could also be composed of SAoY-sponsored pop groups (E.g. Venus and the Avatars) that play at mandatory fun events such as parties and certain informal ceremonies. These could probably have the flavor of traditional pop groups, but also rock and roll, metal, or K-Pop!

What do you guys think? I think it's a good way to expand past the marching band thing (although we'll definitely still have them) and integrate more contemporary music styles into the RP!

All noted, thank you all! I think I am done with the major revisions for the journalist occupation, so I will start incorporating ideas here for this one. I'll save the color I provisionally chose for something else in the future.

new panel color idea 3.png
Above: The suggested color:
Below: Another color I was considering:

new panel color idea 2.png
Feedback wanted!

The top one is easy on my eyes and more noticeable from the other colors of the uniform.

Okay, we'll go with that then.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back