• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

SAoY Power Sources and Containment

Soresu

This is more about Anti-Matter than say Aether. Aether has been slowly evolving and been explained over the years since I joined. However, AM kind of remains a mystery for me in regards to Yamatai. I know they use it. I mean, they fire shells of it in the 2,000kg range, which is about 85,920 Megatons. Convert that to giga, and you're close to 85. A ten gigaton explosion would be the equivalent to WWIII launching every single nuke on the planet or near enough simultainiously. at 85, you're creeping into the K-T event that iced the Dinosaurs. But this isn't a gripe about the size of the boom. But how and where is this stuff stored? In some kind of containment vessels for use? Or do Aether generators just churn that much out at once? For fuel purposes for the reactors are they self-fueling as in they just make more on their own (Which, would likely require an outside source of power to do) or is it stored as fuel in tanks akin to warp plasma ala star trek? Just something I've been curious about since if it is indeed stored for fuel and munitions... you're sitting on a world killer.

I suppose what I've pictured is the Star Army is using aether generators, which produce raw energy that quickly forms into basic matter and anti-matter and they've got a way of filtering and storing the anti-matter in some sort of elector-gravity field container system. In the Sakura and Plumeria, the anti-matter was stored in the "wings" by the ton. If there was a problem with the aether, the anti-matter could be used as a power source (similar to the warp core in Trek). Or you could shoot it at stuff you need to go away.

So I would imagine these 'tanks' would somehow be armored or duly protected? Also run on an independent power source in case of main/secondary power failure in case? Like some sort of battery back up or lunchbox Aether generator system?

So I would imagine these 'tanks' would somehow be armored or duly protected? Also run on an independent power source in case of main/secondary power failure in case? Like some sort of battery back up or lunchbox Aether generator system?

Yes. Additionally, while Antiimatter is one of the things that can damage Zesuaium, Zesuaium does resist antimatter. I would imagine there is internal Zesuaium around Antimatter tanks to prevent an explosion from completely destroying the ship.

Right. Also the big aether generators that power Star Army ships have to have the Zesuaium interiors regularly replaced due to anti-matter erosion.

Mmm. But you have to take something into account. AM can indeed damage Zesu. But in this regard as in most things when it comes to being used against ships with say, their shields down, hull thickness also comes into play. I don't know how much Zesu content would be used, so even a paper-thin layer would be easily annihilated if you're talking about it being stored by the ton. Zesu by its very nature is insanely dense as it is infinitely rigid and dense as it conducts neither EM, or warp, ripple, or crack against kinetics. This would mean if said tank's EM containment went down and the AM was set loose, you're still looking at an explosion enough to wipe out a good chunk of a megacity the size of Kyoto or more. But instead of that you have a rampant reaction within a ship made out of thicker Zesuaium shell. Anything inside would be annihilated either through the explosion, or the heat and or the intense radiation release. Neutrons, and possibly gamma. The radiation release would however be far more short lived in comparison to a nuclear bomb, salted or other side. But enough to actively kill in the process before dissipation and may cause a slight Wagner effect due to the release of neutron bombardment. Not as bad as a nuke. But it may weaken structural materials within the ship itself such as corridors, decks, etc etc. Not excessively so, but it'd be worth engineering teams to check out and run full scans of a ship along with a medbay (if anyone is left alive.) being placed in Hemotanks or receiving doses of anti-radiation meds.

Not arguing the point or anything but trying to explain a scenario of what may happen. I know however continengencies are in place since this stuff is like Nitroglycerine's sassy older sister. So I'm glad we can agree that a seperate, backup system is in place to maintain the EM/M bottle containment, Zesu tanks or not since that would only be part of the protective measure. Though a suggestion if I may? In the event of collapse, perhaps there should be a way to either vent, or dump it into space?

In Eucharis RP we've definitely vented anti-matter into space. Also the storage is designed so that it's weaker on one "plug" end so in case of failure that part gets blown off and the anti-matter goes out in a safe-ish direction (to the ship's rear) like a cap coming off an overpressurized soda bottle instead of the whole bottle blowing up.

Honestly? I would suggest some form of radiation shielding material used in engineering, or around the AM storage. Aether itself (or in my mind, but hey, I'm not the one who made it) could potentially release incredibly lethal, randomized exotic radiation. While I know the YSE has tight control over the stuff. If it leaks it is bad news bears. This doubles for Fusion but also in AM containment areas as added precautions. While lead would be nice, I am certain there are far better solutions that that. Zesu could be ideal, but it is rather expensive to produce much like Yamataium, yes?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back