• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Scionate Discussion

Soban

Convention Veteran
ok, so I figured I should make a thread for this. I'm nowhere near being ready to submit them but we should have a thread discussing them. I'm also really weak at creating ships and the technical parts of wikifying stuff (just ask Andrew). It tends to get done all at once, or not at all. However, I do like the idea of the Scionate so I'm making a thread about them.

Here is the main wiki link at the moment (in WIP): Scionate on Star Army Space Roleplay

The Scionate are a race of robotic lifeforms who believe that all organic life needs to be 'upgraded' to robotic forms. Other than seeking the destruction of all organic life, they are democracy and freedom loving (except the stupid meatbags don't get a vote unless they upgrade themselves and see the light). They are totally-not-cybermen, except the process they use is soul-transfer which isn't that painful and they leave the personalities of the people they convert into robots intact. I'll note that they don't have borgified half-robot half biological stuff.

Three political groups, “Evangelistic” who think people will come around on their own. “Forced upgrade” They will upgrade you if you like it or not. “Annihilationist” who just want to kill all biological life that won't upgrade. Unfortunately for the universe, their Overton window seems to generally be somewhere between 'forced upgrade' and 'Annihilationist' factions. 'Forced upgrade' is the current majority. With the 'evangelistic' faction not getting more than a couple percent of the vote.

In terms of design, they are a 'Mirror Yamatai'. What Yamatai might have been if it had made different choices.

If you are looking at the vision for this thread, you should look at my Separa-Shan updates and improvements thread where I post a lot of ideas that may become canonical about them and have discussions about various aspects of the species that are open for everyone.

The Scionate sound like a fascinating and potentially terrifying species! I find their belief in upgrading all organic life to robotic forms to be a unique take on the classic science fiction trope of robotic and AI uprisings. The three different political factions also add a layer of complexity to their society and beliefs. I'd be interested to see how other species in the universe would react to their presence and plans for upgrading all organic life. I feel like they almost could get along with Yamatai except for Yamatai would never go along with robot-izing its population. As for ship and technical designs, have you considered reaching out to other members of the community who may be skilled in those areas to collaborate with? Good luck with your development of the Scionate!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back