• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

[Screams in Existentialism]

Punk Mantis

Inactive Member
What do you call yourself?
Many things. Mostly derogatory. Or Punk Mantis, or Punk Bun. I answer to a lot of things, honestly.

How'd you find Star Army?
You all are the 4th or 5th result when you google "sci-fi RPG forum".

What interested you in joining?
Cabin fever has me feeling some kind of way about wanting to RP and socialize with people again, with my job being totally remote right now and everything being locked down or restricted around where I live.

Ever done this text-based roleplaying thing before?
Quite often.

Any previous experiences you want to share?
So there we were ─ Grenada, winter of '83 ─ me and the boys had just stepped onto a little footpath we called "Mucky Luck Lane" and...

No. Not particularly. At least in the sense of RPGs and gameplay, that is. At this point I've played in so many over so many years that they all just blend together and come to me at the oddest times without any rhyme or reason. I'll be sure to be chummy and sharing them as they come to me, though.

Do you prefer:
  • Playing male, female, or other-gendered characters?
    • Gender tends to be one of the last things or first things I know when making a character. No in-between.
  • Spontaneous or planned RP?
    • A little of both. If I'm being honest I might have important beats or points I want to explore, but I let how we get there be fairly open.
  • Military or civilian characters?
    • Mostly military, military-adjacent, intelligence. Or if civilian, far-flung and out-there in interesting and dangerous fields.
  • Humans, androids, anthros, or aliens?
    • Mostly humans or androids. More easily related to, for me.
  • Being on a starship or being on a planet?
    • IF I'm on a starship, that's because its where something Big is happening, or it is the means by which I get to something Big. I always view large-scale space-combat as something which happens around the players than as something they actively participate in. My engagement in the fight is inversely proportional to the number of warm bodies involved between my yelling, "Fire" and the Big Gun going off. A ship with hundreds of faces doesn't provide much engagement for me, usually. Like my GM said in my last game of Traveller: there's a reason the Serenity movie is selective about the scenes aboard the ship. Nobody wants to watch the 'Best Of' reel of a week of house-mouse, eating meals, and passing time in your quarters with nothing to do and nothing going on. Add whole double-digit NPC crews to deal with any conceivable issue that might spring up? Suddenly it gets worse.
  • Roleplay via forum posts or in real-time?
    • If its tabletop, mostly real-time. Stuff like this where its more free-form? Typically play-by-post.
On a scale of 1 to 3, what's your preferred level of these in your RP:
  • Language: Varies, can't really give it a codified value.
  • Violence: Same here, unfortunately.
  • Sexuality: Third... verse... same as the first?
What's something cool you'd love to RP?
As much as I rail on about how boring ship-to-ship combat can be for me, I'd be open to a pitch of playing a member of a naval crew depending on the plot. Or being a fighter pilot zooming around the vacuum and getting in the galaxy's most zero-sum furballs could be fun.

Vehicular stuff, but smaller scale. A mechanized unit dropping out of aircraft or form the back of tracks, or tankers of some kind.

Other than that I'll entertain the plot of anything at least long enough to read the idea and hear what there is to say about it.

I think you're amazing and I want you to stick around here, so I'm really interested in giving you what you what out of this site.

Let's plan an RP night or make a thread or something. What works for you?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back