• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP [Sector Searchers] Pre mission 3, the expendabirds

Alex Hart

FM of NDC
🎖️ Game Master
Space pirate asteroid base.

Inside Naatena Mildere Fyunnen's room, an old fashioned intercom crackled, interrupting the short, but nonetheless generally appreciated rest period she was given between "missions".

Raven would have come back from a raid on a rich merchant's pleasure cruise four hours earlier, with four more scheduled for rest.

The de-facto leader's voice was tinny through the intecom, and her instructions to "Come to the planning room" interrupted her

The black-winged mecha pilot known as Raven was in the middle of imbibing a choice bottle of Lorath wine she happened to swipe from the cruise liner raided a few hours prior. The Fyunnen's imposing figure was hunched over the obviously too small table in the spartan quarters, as she sloshed the last of the mood-elevating vintage at the bottom a few times waiting for its smooth warmth to kick in. The memories of the disappointing cakewalk that was her new line of work so far were proving hard to shake... or maybe this stuff was really just an overpriced knock-off?

Either way, the intercom's annoying crackle soon overpowered any good buzz the former LSDF soldier had going, and she immediately hit the button hard with a tanned fist, adding another dent to the spot as she tried to sound excited at the sudden summons. "...Affirmative, I will be right there."

When the Lorath arrived in the briefing room, she was greeted by only the diminutive Killigrew, and a single guard.

Despite it being a pirate base, the mecha frame pilot still gave the commander a respectful salute as she entered, though the guard got scarcely more than a studying gaze from Raven, contemplating if they were as tough as they seemed.

The guard was a pirate, like Killigrew. Hardened by the tough life, they were no doubt every bit as tough as raven, though maybe not quite as strong.

Killigrew cleared her throat, and spoke up. "Raven, I'll put it bluntly. I've got another job for you after your rest period is up." The high pitched voice of a child did not jive with the authoratative tone of the "young" woman.

"Understood, but it better be a little more interesting than the last one," replied the battle-hardened Lorath, folding her arms under her well-endowed chest in a move she knew was slightly provoking. "There is little honor in frightening tourists and merchants."

The pirate leader did her best to avoid looking directly at Raven's chest, though her envy was all but obvious, equally clear was the fact that the rather large group of pirates had been made painfully aware of what happened to anyone who brought up their leader's appearance.

"Oh.. I think you'll like this next mission. There's a ship that caused trouble on one of my raids just in ex UOC space. I want you to take it out, to serve as an example to anyone else who'd get themselves killed."

The Fyunnen's drawn face seemed to have a moment of energy come across it, her amber eyes glinting. "Someone who could cause even the great Pirate Queen trouble?" There was indeed an interest welling back up in her warrior soul at the prospect, as her gunmetal and black wings lifted slightly off their perches on her shoulders. "A worthy opponent, then?"

The small woman waved her hand dismisively at the notion. "Whatever floats your boat. There's some sort of mecha on the ship that I haven't seen before, so taking it out should be your priority so that you can safely dispose of the ship itself."

Raven tsked slightly under her breath, figuring it was just as well that her thieving boss did not understand the concept of the warrior-caste's honor. But they certainly both agreed on the latter point, the pilot clenching her fingers slowly at the prospect of engaging another mecha in combat, especially one that could have unknown abilities. "It will be done as you say, commander. Thier tricks will not save them. I will turn anyone who dares to defy you to dust."

Killigrew groaned in annoyance at Raven's last utterance. "Look, I've asked you time and time again to stop it with that." In a rare gesture of pseudo respect, the woman looked Raven head on before continuing, "I don't know how they did things in Lor, but around here we may not all be equals, but no one wasts their breath with fancy words either. We have little enough air as it is."

The white tuft of undyed hair fell a bit in front of Raven's eyes as she exhaled at Killigrew's words. She did have a point about the need to conserve, and the not-so-underling soon straightened up her stance respectfully towards the shrewd leader, uttering in her accented Trade, "It is... how do you say in Nepleslia... less talk, more action?"

The diminutive leader shook her head in mock sadness. "You don't seem to get it, but hell, that's not my problem so long as you don't keep using up air. You've got an hour and 45 minutes of rest before you need to prep and head out. I'll have the informant's report sent to your datapad."

"Very well," replied Raven, not entirely oblivious to the faux-pas she may have made in her directness. Considering the situation she had been handed tonight, she was if nothing else grateful to Killigrew for this opportunity to finally indulge herself in a real battle. A simple "Thank you" was thus her air-efficient acknowledgement to the Pirate Queen, before returning to her room to begin preparations with a more positive attitude. (Either that, or the wine was finally working after all..)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back