• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Senate: Misc Senate Memorandum: Bylaws Amendment Proposal Re: Committees and Chairs Proposal

Yuuki

Wiki-chan! Ganbatte yo!
🌟 Site Supporter
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
RP Date
YE45.5
RP Location
Imperial Senate of Yamatai
Senators,

This proposal concerns the creations of committees whose specific purview relates to the development of legislation regarding their speciality, whether crafted by that committee or sent to it for review. The proposal is as follows:

1. This proposal only concerns by-laws and procedure, not binding legislation, but if accepted by general consensus shall be considered ordinary procedure
  2. A committee will have one chair and at least two other members, but always an odd number.
  3. The chair will accept or decline items for committee and lead discussion on the item at hand.
  4. Any legislation deemed by the Senate to fall under purview of a committee will go to that committee before further debate
  5. Legislation sent to committee and accepted by chair may be revised and must be approved by that committee before returned to the floor for debate
  6. Legislation sent to committee and declined by chair may proceed directly to debate
  7. Legislation originating through committee action will go directly to debate
  8. A committee may be formed by the nomination and seconding of a chair, then the nomination and second and at least two members.
  9. No one nominated for a committee may nominate or second anyone for that same committee, unless it was prior to their own nomination
  10. No one may nominate or second themselves
  11. No one may chair more than one committee, but one may be a member of any number of committees

Along with my proposal I have some nominations:

1. For the Chair of Commerce, Science, and Transportation, I nominate Iemochi Seinosuke. I nominate Pitz Ria and Anseln Volontany as members.
  2. For the Chair of Environment, Public Works, and Energy, I nominate Ketsurui Hanako. I nominate Ketsurui Koyama and Anseln Volontany as members.
  3. Agriculture, Energy, and Natural Resources, I nominate Anseln Volontany. I nominate Ketsurui Hanako and Iemochi Seinosuke as members.
  4. Banking, Appropriations, and Finance, I nominate Ketsurui Koyama. I nominate Ketsurui Hanako and Iemochi Seinosuke as members.

Takagawa Hitomi, Koukotsu

Last edited:
Hanako carefully read the proposal and sighed. "I do not care for any proposal that delegates my role as senator to others. I intend to actively vote on all proposals regardless of their categorization, and regardless of the amount of work it creates for me, because this is the responsibility I swore to when I became a senator. I don't see the purpose of committees. If it's efficency you're after, why? This body has a low number of members and a low flow of legislation right now. It's unnecessary red tape."

"Senator, there is no delegation of duties or votes. All proposals will always be voted on by the main body of the Senate. This is to ensure that when legislation does come to the floor, it has been made suitable for the occasion."

Mochi returns a copy with his signature, "It does seem that a lot of what is discussed in the Senate floor itself can probably be hammered out in closed doors first, to get out any obvious flaws. It would no doubt speed things up when they do actually hit the Senate, at the cost of adding in an extra step for some people."

Anslen considered it for several long moments, "Let us remember that good ideas shouldn't go to the committees to die. They are there to be refined and improved into something that will benefit the whole empire. We can always bring what needs to be done to the floor, with or without a committee." He said for the record, adding his signature.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back