• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Senate: VOTING Senate Proposal #116 - Consciousness Ownership Act

Ethereal

Banned Member
RP Date
5月 YE 43
RP Location
Senate Dome, Imperial Palace
The vast expanse of the Imperial Palace seemed to be invigorated with new life, following the recent government reshuffle after the new election. Fresh faces paced its corridors with bright eyes and brighter minds.

Behind his podium, Senator Iemochi, a rather notorious figure of late, was stood. His volumetric hologram was very life-like, projecting from a small disk that lay close to the ground.

Clad in his Star Army uniform, the blonde Elysian placed his hands on either side of the desk, leaning forwards. He seemed to be glancing between them, as if looking at notes which weren't there - probably physically wherever he was right now.

Patiently, Mochi gazed towards the stand where their new Imperial Premier would preside over the proceedings. It looked like several other Senators were filing in, taking their spots while they waited on the Premier to formally open this session.

The Elysian had already sent out his new Proposal to all of them as well as the Premier. He'd asked for a debate and vote to be scheduled, which seemed to have landed on today.

It would be interesting to see what reception and discussion would be on this topic, but Mochi had prepared a good opening statement that he'd love to kick off whenever everything was ready.

- The Proposal -

@Legix
@Soban
@Wes
@Fred
@SageShooter
@Andrew
@Nashoba
@Doshii Jun
(Tagged in the order they appear on the Senate wiki page)

"I think we should make some adjustments," Hanako said. "It should be explicitly stated that
  1. It is legal for the Star Army and government services to require their members to obtain permission prior to making copies of themselves,
  2. members of the Star Army of Yamatai who are duplicated are subject to the same terms of military service as the original, and these obligations can only be released at the discretion of the Star Army of Yamatai.
  3. persons leaving the military are subject to memory revision, to the minimum necessary extent needed for Imperial Security, by the Star Army, in order to protect against the dissemination of military secrets such as access codes and the location of clandestine forces or facilities."
"I think consent is the most important thing here, and that if a person consents, they should be free to do whatever they want their the backups of their mind, within reason. What about a scenario where a person owes a corporation a thousand KS and he clones himself ten times. Is the debt distributed among the copies? Is there a limit on the number of clones a person can make or any restriction that stops clones from making more clones until there are nations of a certain person? How would this law interact with my Memory Backup Protection Act?"

Senator Iemochi looked over to Hanako, seeming a little startled. He had expected to wait until the Premier was here to open the business of the day formally.

However, he'd never actually been in this chamber with a sitting Premier, unlike Hanako. Mochi decided it was better to follow her lead on this one, launching into a measured response after a unsure delay.

"Well- If we're starting- Precedent would say new law overrides older law in relation to your old act, Senator Hanako. How would you like them to interact together?" Mochi offered, seeming open to discuss that topic and take her thoughts into consideration.

"In relation to clone armies - the question would be how that person would provide actual physical bodies for all those STs. They would need the resources to build a robot army first, to house all the STs."

"Under current law, they could make a clone army right now - just of biological clones as they are not legislated for at all to my knowledge. I've essentially done that myself to some extent, as its how Neo-Caelisolians are made more or less."

The Senator moved on, his multi-colour wings bobbing up and down a little.

"In terms of debt.. There's already a clause that criminal punishments can't be passed on to clones, so I can extend that to private debt quite easily, as well as any other bad-yet-legal thing you'd like me to include. Luckily, the law will already give the government final say on a lot of things such as that."

Mochi tapped his chin once or twice as he thought over Hanako's major point.

"As for your thoughts on the Star Army, that's something we need to tread carefully on as I'm sure you know. Laws that include the Star Army have no force, as we sadly all know. Most things would be down to their own policies. Technically even civilian law doesn't apply to them, except the Constitution."

They all knew this already, but it was worth reiterating for those who were new or in the viewing gallery.

"I'm not sure why people should need the government or military to approve of them before being able to protect themselves with a backup? It feels like one bad officer or official could wind up with a lot of power to coerce people that way. If a Governor wanted to press their citizens to do something, they could withold their backups, for example."

It was a bit extreme, but by its strictest definition, corruption is wrongfully using your position for your own benefit. There were more than a handful of psychopathic people out there who would straddle such a line if given that level of control over peoples' deaths.

"I'm also unsure as to why a clone would be conscripted while the original person is still alive. I've added some clarity to the last few points of the Proposal to make this clearer, but we don't want forced conscription - a one for one replacement should keep the Star Army at readiness? Not that it's really our place to make such calls."

A short silence followed, the Senator shifting uncomfortably, already feeling the invisible Taishos staring daggers at them all from across the stars at even mentioning the Star Army here.

"In regards to Imperial Security, perhaps it would be simpler to include a subsection saying that anyone within a place where military law applies may be subject to memory revision for purposes of confidentiality? That would also kill the birds of espionage and such too. Although, really, the Star Army can do whatever they want regarding that as far as I know."

The Iemochi looked to the other Senators who had kept quiet for now, clearly looking to see what they might say. It was very important to get multiple points of view and ideas, as an intercourse between two people was less preferable than a group discussion.

Last edited:
Anslen looked annoyed that Iemochi had admitted that they had little defacto power over the army. It was a political reality that frustrated him. Anslen considered the bill, "The purpose of this bill is to replace restrictions on cloning. Does that include the Cloned Humans Ban Act? Do you think that the ban on cloning has effected the development and improvements on Nekovalkyrja? There are reports of advancements we haven't incorporated at this time. It seems to me that the resources to make a clone army, or constituency wouldn't be very hard to acquire. I think a maximum legal limit of one clone per year could be reasonable. That is roughly a gestation timeframe over the various species of the empire. Whenever we create a new Nekovalkyrja, we do have forced conscription."

The Separa'Shan continued, "While an individual does get a free backup from the Empire, I don't feel we should in any way prohibit additional backups. While we may require that they are registered, I don't think we should disallow their creation by any individual. The fundamental right here is that individuals have to care for their own safety. While we do a lot for our citizens, we provide a minimum. If an individual wants more protection than we provide, I'm not clear on why we should prevent them from acquiring it."

His tail flicked, "There is of course more, but I think these points will suffice for now."

Mochi was glad to hear from the Separa'Shan, who always had something useful to input as far as the Elysian had experienced. They aligned on many matters politically, or rather Mochi guessed they would.

"Well pointed out, Senator Anslen. Truth be told, I hadn't given much notice to that particular bill, for the same reasons as I noted before regarding the Star Army and this chamber."

However, from what Mochi had experienced himself, the Star Army did indeed not practice human cloning, but that was likely more by choice than a piece of paper that they were immune to anyway. They really could do whatever they have wanted - the word stratocracy came to his mind. It was odd to Mochi in the first place that the ban only specified humans and no other race..

"In my opinion as a inventor and cloner of sorts, you're right, Senator. Competition and diversity breeds innovation - there is no competition for alternatives to Nekos, the Star Army yet makes more and more."

That had never made much sense to Mochi - that while there were several (admittedly few) companies that supplied the Star Army, they relied on only one to innovate their actual troops. Monopolies tended to dissuade from advancements as there was no competition to compete with, like Anslen had implied.

"However I'm not advocating here myself for clone armies or anything related to military readiness - the proposal makes such clones have the same rights as other citizens and be indistinguishable from them legally. Any conscription or such would apply to them the same as any other member of their original species. Personally, I have mixed feelings on conscription in the first place, especially for periods longer than a couple of years."

Being born into a extended contract against your will was a military reality in the Star Army, but Mochi had never seen an unhappy Neko. Still, fundamentally he was a fan of freedom and choice, which was a pillar of Yamataian culture in his view.

Seinosuke nodded to his peer at the mention of a cloning limit. "I think that's a very wise and elegant solution, Senator. That would nip the issue of armies in the bud and cut closer to the spirit of this law. I'll add such a limitation in, with the caveat that you can replace yourself once you die with a single ST to avoid confusion there, and this can be done as many times a year as you are 'killed'."

Anslen made another good point. "I agree there should be no real limits on additional backups, which I hope is reflected here in the proposal. I have written limitations on giving these to third parties and things, however. Personally, I have a feeling that might be a step too far - the potential for bad intent there is quite high. However, I'd love to hear other views on that."

Mochi smiled once he was finished, "Thank you Senator, it's always a pleasure to hear your input."

Last edited:
The newest, and by far most out of place Senator had been there early. Ria felt so strange as she sat in the same chamber with powerful people and looked around at the others as they spoke. She had read over the proposal and several thoughts had begun to pop into her head, most of which she had opted to keep to herself at first as she didn't want to rock the boat so to say, until others began to pipe in with their own ideas and suggestions. Dressed in her old Kikyo Pies company uniform as she hadn't had time to actually get a new outfit and she didn't think a Star Army uniform would be kosher in the chambers, at least until she saw the Senator who had proposed the bill, she felt like a sore thumb in the crowd.

But eventually as the others began and finished, she decided to chip in, even in her first time within the chambers.

"I do see a concern with this proposal... How limited or monitored is the actual cloning? Is there a set limit per year? What is to stop a person from creating a organization or political party with this? I know there is a restriction within the first year... But after that first year somebody creates forty clones of themselves, then those forty clones go and create another forty clones a year later, and so on and so forth... What's to say within ten or twelve years we don't have planets inhabited by clones derived from a single person?"

She looked around for a moment to gauge the state of the others, to see how they felt about her words before she continued.

"What is to stop someone from essentially creating a new USO nation? A single civilian with prior military training, or even a currently enlisted member doing this every time they go back home for leave. They build up a force, create a mercenary company, and go take over smaller or less populated planets where the inhabitants don't have a particularly strong military presence, outside of Yamatai's allies and more or less installing themselves in as a dictator over the planet."

Seinosuke blinked a few times at the new entrant to the discussion. Was it a pizza girl who got lost? No, there was something he remembered reading. One of the new Senators used to work there. There must be some reason as to why they were dressed that way, but it wasn't immediately obvious to Mochi.

"Ah, Senator. I think we've settled on a one-per-year cloning basis, but no cloning in the first year after 'birth'. If someone cloned themselves and somehow convinced all their subsequent clones to do the same as soon as possible - without editing - there'd be 512 people after 10 years."

"Just to remind people that Nekos and Minkans can currently reproduce at a rate of one or more every three months. Nekos are fully matured in a matter of days or weeks. You'd have far more than this number under current law from a single Neko if they wished. Double a year pales in comparison."

Mochi reiterated that point, just to make it crystal clear. It was already possible and legal for Nekos and Minkans to multiply far faster than he was proposing. Nekos could even transfer all their collective experience to their offspring, including combat experience.

"The main limitation for trying to raise any army is monetary capital. There's countless ex-military Nekos and other species in the Kikyo sector. If someone wanted to take over a planet, it'd be far easier to pay for 100,000 mercenaries and have them available instantly. Waiting 10 years and still having to pay for bodies, arms and upkeep is not realistic."

The Elysian's wings dipped up and down slowly. "That's one of the reasons that corporations are very closely watched by many people. They actually have the means to become a state at any time, if they really wish. Hire a mercenary army and go to town. It's probably easier to control employees than copies of yourself as well - especially if you're a psychopathic megalomaniac like such serial and malicious cloners would have to be."

Mochi looked at the other Senators once he finished. "I hope that clarifies things, but if there's any more questions or concerns, I'm happy to elaborate."

Takagawa Hitomi was not pleased. She'd truly internalized, long ago, everything she had run for office on, and was as much a stickler for procedure and tradition and ceremony as her immaculate, tight bun, lacking even a single hair out of place, implied she was. Senator Takagawa was the Law and Order Senator from Party Planet, an almost comical juxtaposition of the woman's character with the system she represented. She did not appreciate deviation from procedure, such as debate beginning as soon as Senators had begun to read the paper in front of them, without the Premier there. The narrow-eyed frown she wore didn't hide that she felt exactly how her reputation implied she would feel about it. Despite her visible annoyance displayed in the calming breaths she occasionally took, however, the freshman senator read over the bill before her as calmly as she could.

Eventually, however, during a lull in the conversation, Hitomi spoke up, "Although there are portions of this proposed legislation I agree with wholeheartedly, and others less so, I must object to the scope and breadth of this bill. In its current state I don't think it is suitable to pass as is, irrespective of the of the merits or their lack in its individual points. The legal conflation of cloning shells, that is, bodies, with digital mind backups is perilous, not to mention contrary to established science of digital mind transfers. This bill should be at least two other, separate bills."

She folded her hands on the desk before her after taking a single sip from her Warm and Sweet to-go cup. "I will defer proposing amendments or disposition until we have officially opened the session."

Katsuko emerged into the Senate Chamber beyond the original intended schedule, "My apology for my absence when this discussion began, I had a matter of urgency with one of our department heads to deal with that required my urgent attention and was under a time constraint," she stated as she moved to take her seat. She wore a rather traditional and formal kimono that was purple and blue with a pleasant scroll of peony and bellflowers.

Thankfully Katsuko had the foresight to review the proposal the second it was made available even in her absence from the actual chamber, she looked at the Senators that had gathered and said, "It is appreciated that you've all begun discussion in a tone of professionalism, this session is now officially open."

There was no room for an easy first day, she spared them the bore of an opening speech out of the sense and need to get things moving.

Ria blinked a little as her comments and concerns were answered, and settled back comfortably into her chair. Maybe this whole senator thing wasn't that tough... She listened to the others and let her eyes fall on each that spoke to give them the proper attention that courtesy and professionalism demanded, but she seemed to scramble to stand as Katsuko entered. She had seen the woman in the news, and of course who didn't know of the Motoyoshi within the military, though the fact that she had retired hadn't escaped her either. The leader was certainly one that Ria looked up to, though for the moment her mind was torn between the unabashed embarassment of having started talking without her in the chambers, and the sudden intrusion of a message that seemed to come through.

Duty won out in the end as Ria sat back in her chair after a moment and began to scan through the message confused for a moment, but as more and more time passed, she began to see why it was passed on. Maybe with her being one of the more fresh senators, the man had thought she would be more open to her listening and speaking up, maybe it was simply she was just the lucky one to get the message, maybe it was targeted to try and help her look good... She wasn't sure, but regardless, she stood to speak again after the chamber had fallen silent again.

"I apologize for cutting in, but I just recieved something I feel would beneficial for this topic. It was passed to me by someone, and I wanted to bring it up..."

The following section is very problematic: “Private ownership of another being's ST backup is a crime. ST backups also cannot be traded, modified by a third party or voluntarily given to another private party under any circumstance, except by approval of the Senate.”

The idea that 'third party' and 'private party' are explicitly differentiated here implies that 'third party' is meant to apply to non-private parties through which the government may act. The general mood in which this bill was proposed shows some within the Senate to dislike the level of power that the Star Army holds and implies that government agencies and contractors may be held under this vague 'third-party' classification in the future by the Senate.

This is problematic as there is a need for the ability to edit ST data not only for military security purposes(in the least restrictive manner possible), but also for mental health. It is not uncommon for those who are victims of war, interrogation, torture, or abuse to have those memories dulled or removed for their mental health and quality of life. Agencies such as the Department of Health and Medicine and the Star Army of Yamatai, as well as their contractors vetted and assigned to such tasks, require the authority to edit ST data. If these agencies and their contractors could not provide medical care without the Senate requiring case-by-case approval, this would cause citizens needless extended suffering. If a planet is assaulted by an enemy, this could easily lead to tens or even hundreds of thousands of people in need of care being unable to receive it in a timely manner.

The second problem is that the Senate is a legislative body that makes laws. It is not an executive one that enforces them. For the Senate to directly claim this level of administrative authority over ST data custody and editing rather than to allocate it to proper enforcement agencies extends beyond the purpose of the Senate and is a misuse of power.

There are also a number of issues that arise from the legal repercussions that may require their own bill. We need ways to avoid people making clones explicitly to commit crimes or to help the original evade their legal or financial responsibilities. Cloning with intent to indirectly commit a crime or sidestep legal obligations should be a crime in and of itself. I would also suggest that a level of temporary responsibility for the clone is a legal requirement for the original person responsible for the cloning. This is from my personal experience of being a clone that was quickly abandoned with no assets or prospects.

With the message passed on, Ria remained standing and looked around the chamber to see just how those around her would respond.

Senator Iemochi nodded towards their new Premier, acknowledging her arrival but not saying anything directly as to not inadvertently bring her tardiness to the fore. Ria's interjection was quite confusing, which made the Elysian furrow his brow. "Senator, would you disclose whom this message came from? Usually, only Senators are supposed to directly input on behalf of their electorate, rather than forwarding the voices of anonymous others. No offense, of course."

The Neo-Caelisolian looked up towards the Premier quickly, to check whether she was going to uphold his statement regarding the Senate and the sanctity of its membership. Depending on Katsuko's reaction, Mochi would continue. "As I always seem to need to clarify, and which all members should know, is that we hold no sway over the Star Army. Government agencies and contractors can do what they wish. As always.." It was getting a bit tiresome to keep reiterating that point multiple times each session.

"The spirit of the section of the law in question, is to deter third parties from making unauthorised changes to people's conciousnesses. Such as making them think they love someone, or mentally lobotimising them or making them a slave of one kind or another. I have no problem with allowing vetted government agencies to provide elective changes, such as the Department of Health. I doubt any other Senator has an issue with that concept either, especially as our Premier controls that body on our behalf. Mandatory procedures, however, are a slippery slope. And.. again.. the Star Army can do what it wants in relation to military security. Always has done."

At the mention in the message of the Senate overreaching, Mochi visibly recoiled. "Okay, now I insist I know who is making such accusations from the shadows against this Senate. The enforcement agencies are controlled by this Senate through our Premier and their mandate - such is common knowledge, surely? I refuse to answer the stated questions any further until we know more as to the origin of this message, and I ask the Premier to rule this input out of order and strike it from the record. If they could also provide a clear statement as to the relationship between themselves and the Senate, I think it would greatly assist in this situation?" The Elysian looked expectantly from his stand over towards Katsuko, hoping that she could rectify this strange occurrence.

Katsuko looked between the two Senators, her face stoic as she replied to the request. "Senator Iemochi I remind you that you are a publicly elected official, you open yourself up to the scrutiny and criticism of the media and the people as part of that role," she said clearly, "Senator Pitz has the right to maintain the anonymity of her constituents, and if she elects that their address to this Senate is valid for the discussions at hand." The Imperial Premier looked to Senator Pitz, "Your constituent's concerns will not be struck from the record, although some of their interpretations of the law and the way our government works may not be entirely accurate - their concern is valid nonetheless." She then ushered a hand forwards, the volumetric copy of the Senator's proposal highlighted.

3) Private ownership of another being's ST backup is a crime. ST backups also cannot be traded, modified by a third party, or voluntarily given to another private party under any circumstance, except by approval of the Senate.

"This is partially where you invite this scrutiny, Senator. You make the Senate the body for approval when it should be the Department of Health. This is a legislative body, Senators do not enforce the policy. Senators do not hold executive authority within the government," she said, pointing out where obvious problems lay within the wording of the bill. She gave a slight nod and then continued,"This proposal and the concerns of citizens; identified or not, will be heard in this forum. Please continue with the discussion, of course, can suggest edits before this goes to vote. Several times through history common citizens have graced this floor to plea, and propose to this body and it will not change," she said in conclusion.

Iemochi frowned, clearly displeased. He disagreed with the stance the freshly-minted Premier had taken, as well as the warning he was given, being a Senator of some years now. The only legitimate reason to wish for anonymity was to avoid persecution. Too often, it was used as a cover for fake stories to generate outrage, by clearly partisan bodies masquerading as otherwise, or lobbyists who may be in bed with figures they might have propped up. Words without any grounding were just that, words. Mochi shrugged, the Elysian's internal monologue dying down.

"I fully understand that I am subject to scrutiny, like all public figures. I'm simply highlighting that whoever these words come has elected to not be open to scrutiny, criticism or vetting for their stance or stories." The Elysian crossed his arms, as Katsuko pointed out where the anonymous person had taken issue, which he had already addressed. "I have already given my response to the anonymous person's points." He quoted himself, "I have no problem with allowing vetted government agencies to provide elective changes, such as the Department of Health."

"I was intending for the protections that came with this law to be nearly inviolable, rather than being simply a license given by the executive to whoever they wish." Iemochi elaborated, "Without a national judiciary, only we can really determine what we meant in the wording of a given law. Allowing the executive Department of Health to be the body for adjudicating what we meant by this law, we're giving them the power to decide what we meant by what is and isn't a legitimate reason to ignore the protections, rather than this Senate or some judicial entity. I expected very few legitimate requests for bodies to want to alter consciousnesses when writing the law."

"However, as I've already stated, I have no problem with allowing vetted government agencies to provide elective changes. I do take exception to those agencies then allowing others to also circumvent the protections, especially private companies or citizens who are not imbued with the same level of oversight as government bodies. I was simply airing on the side of caution rather than delegating what amounts to judicial power to the executive branch. While I imagine that my fellow Senators don't mind giving those powers to the executive branch, I'd like to call for a vote on that amendment before it's made. I'd like to go on record that I'm against judicial power being given to the executive. Speaking as a system governor myself, as well as a Senator."

"I agree, we are the Senate of Yamatai. We make the laws, and we do expect the other branches of government to enforce and follow them. However, it is the senate who makes the law it is also us who interpret it. As we have the best understanding of what we meant when we wrote the laws or if we disagree with the law the power to change it." Anslen said.

As the others had seemingly pressed past the moment of concern or concentration on her anonymous constituent, Ria decided to do the same. Instead, she looked to Anslen with a small frown at their words, but simply shook her head a little before she took her seat. She kept her words to herself, no need to make to many waves on only her first assembly. She did spare a glance to the Premier though and give her a small smile of appreciation at coming to her defense before her gaze fell back to the two still speaking.

"The appaling outburst from the Essia Senator aside, I believe we are through with irrelevant trivialities about a Senator representing the grievances of their constituents, and instead are finally able to address the issue at hand. I am only pleased that it was not the attack on my fellow MCS Senator's origins as a Kikyo Pie delivery employee that I feared would ensue had she presented the ideas as her own." Hitomi's voice was even and calm, without a hint of intonation even when speaking the negative descriptors aloud. "It is fundamental that propositions to the Senate deserve to be judged on their merits. And we cannot give that due assessment of the merit, with thoroughness and impartiality, when they are presented in such a flawed instrument. I do not want to vote no merely for legislative imperfections."

Senator Takagawa stood, and raised her tone. "Koukotsu moves to send the bill to committee for revision."

Last edited:
Katsuko remained stoic in her pose, even if her mind screamed with her own opinions she didn't voice them. It was her job to be a guiding hand in this little arena, but regardless she knew her role and had the discipline to act, "Is there a second motion to move the bill to committee for amendments?" the Premier asked, having heard the resounding calls from the Senator from Koukotsu. She was a quick study, from the day she sat as a mere candidate for her new role and received the unwelcomed assumption she was visiting to bolster her campaign - she could tell the nature of what was clearly unfolding as an agenda. Her steel gaze, unapologetic and unemotional swept from face to face between those actually present and those projected in. It was going to be a tough first year, but she was ready for it.

Koyama, the princess of the royal family shimmer into existence from a volumetric projection. Wearing her dress whites, her hands clasped behind her back and stare fixated on those she could see. The First Officer of the Resurgence stood tall, proud, resplendent from the poise and carefully groomed appearance.

"Please forgive my lateness to this session fellow senators. As I am the first officer of a starship within our space forces my job requires much of my time. I, however, have downloaded and reviewed the proceedings thus far." Koyama bowed as she apologized. Having programmed it so, not a hair fell out of place. But standing straight again, she offered her reply on the important matter at hand.

"I believe I can see the merit within this bill. However, I also believe Senator Hanako makes fair points regarding those serving within the military. The security of our nation, any military secrets, or information should be removed, a revision made to said backup once the individual leaves service."

The Neko lifted a hand to forestall any protest or interruptions, "Much of what my fellow senator holds merit and should be taken into consideration. And also caution. "Regarding the 'how' they would create said clone army would be a relatively easy process if one were to consider the possibilities of salvaging sites of battle.

Our nation has been in many campaigns since its birth, and we have triumphed time and time again. Our Taisho and those under their command have expended their lives at great personal cost. There is much to be had at such sites and we cannot recover everything even with our current post-singularity technologies. Space is simply too vast and said components or more complete finds may result in hemosynthetic chambers being found."

Koyama looked to each, her gaze bouncing from one to the other, her concerns perhaps were minimally invalid. But they were valid to some extent. "One should also consider spacial drift should we try to scour the sites for our technology. This is of great concern to me and should be for all of you, my fellow senators. I am an engineer by trade, and I can tell you with high probability such a thing is possible if one applies themselves."

Slowly, Koyama shook her head, knowing full well that as this was her first session, she was green to the prospect of politics. Not only this but wondered if the senators beyond Hanako had taken any of this into consideration.

"Not only this but our backups are also related to hemosynthetic technologies which, as I am certain our august bodies understand the implications of mishandling. But also of how heavily restricted, they are.

Also, it is a matter of national security as if one of said individuals were to get a hold of a tank the possibility of data regarding our Nekovalkyrja models. Dating all the way back to the NH-7 series forward to the 33 series, Minkan to Eihei. Even should one have data regarding the Minkan if one were inventive enough and had the time and skill they would be able to upgrade the model to the Tennyo, or even the Eihei."

"Even so, with our current Nekovalkyrja, an older model is still quite lethal in combat and should not be under-estimated."

"So, in conclusion, while the possibility, however, remote, I must second the motion put forward by Senator Takagawa of the Koukotsu System. This is of concern and would be to not only our military but the nation as a whole. And should be included in the aforementioned committee and revision proposed by Senator Takagawa."

'Flawed instrument', Mochi didn't react outwardly to the comment, instead taking solace in the fact that at least he was trying. As much as some members would likely hate the idea, this place held more than one set of beliefs, so it was unlikely they'd unanimously agree on much. The motion for revision was unsurprising.

The main point was to at least try to make Yamatai a better place, little by little, whatever that meant to the individual Senator and their people. The worst thing you could do was to sit idle and not put forward any of your own proposals. Regardless of what happened, at least the public knew he was trying to get the behemoth that was Yamatai to consider new ideas.

What was a little out of the blue was Koyama appearing, having not been present for the discussion, and immediately second a motion. Mochi raised an eyebrow, wondering how much that Koyama had absorbed while absent and attending to other matters at the same time. It was quite a first appearance.

"As appreciated as Senator Ketsurui's points are on the policy of the Star Army's battle debris and lack of cleanup, this chamber does not have the power to discuss or rule on such things, given that's Star Army policy and property. In the same vein, what the Star Army decides or decides not to do with national secrets before a soldier leaves their service is no concern of ours, nor within our power to legislate upon. One would hope they already have policies in Star Army Personnel Command or SAINT to sanitise memories of such things before discharge, regardless of bills about.. cloning." It wasn't Koyama alone at this moment that made him wish they had a big banner that said 'We don't discuss the Army' over the Premier's stand. It came up so damn often. The officer looked up to Katsuko now, implicitly asking her to weigh in on the matter of keeping the Star Army's affairs out of the Senate.

"For all we know, debris containing ST or Neko technology from the NMX wars or prior have been salvaged by our enemies and in their hands for essentially decades. There could already be legions of enemy Eihei hiding away on some moon somewhere from one recovered ST pod. Regardless of whether we somehow blunder into making that technically legal, the Star Army doesn't need to comply with our laws and could deal with that threat regardless." Mochi's eyes drifted to Hanako, "To my knowledge there's no occupation or organisation tasked with recovering and processing that debris. I imagine it's something for SAL and SARA to discuss, but it certainly is none of our concern nor our place to discuss and adjudicate upon directly." The Elysian switched his focus back to Koyama, giving a sympathetic look. Mochi didn't want to disparage his friend, but again, it had to be reiterated that the Star Army was entirely detached from this body. The logic of putting a proposal back to committee to 'discuss things they couldn't discuss' was something he had to at least point out. The Premier should be able to pitch in here and help explain why such a reason may invalidate the motion, given it may be out of order to discuss Star Army matters in that committee.

"In light of that, the Senator may wish to retract their seconding of the motion. If not, I will of course comply with the Premier's rules of order regarding motions, and if they will allow us to discuss the Star Army in that committee or not.."

Last edited:
Katsuko held a momentary silence, her mind ran with thoughts. She could not help but wonder if Tio and Kiyoko had displayed such behaviors that she missed. More and more the Elysian Senator pressed upon a region of politics that Katsuko held complete disgust and distrust for. How did this man become a Senator? He stood there representing a world whose population was mostly military it made little sense to her. There was a time when she would of just let her thoughts out, but she remained poised behind the platform and issued in an unaffected tone, "I will allow a rebuttal from Jiyuu's Senator before I give weight to the passed motion for the bill transferring to the committee, as the second is enough to carry it to the committee for amendment considerations." The only snippet of the Elysian's words that had any validation in her mind was the Senate's inability to affect the Star Army, the very line she had drawn in the sand when she became Empress. It went without saying though, that such matters as Cloning, Soul Transfer, and Hemosynthology were at the foundations of their most sacred and well-secured restricted technologies; be it civilian body or military body they were all created from the clandestine blueprints. The mention of that actually supported the bill's need for amendment, but to be fair and for the sake of her own dignity it was best she let the Princess give a rebuttal to the argument.

The former Empress, now Premier had handled the Senate harshly but the times were harsh. This stoic, unbiased hand she had to wield had to be the professional front - meanwhile, it made her want to pull the yoke of the Colonial Sector harder, for this creep of liberal politics into the Senate felt just as much of a plague as the formation of the UOC had been. It tasted bitter, she couldn't show her absolute hatred towards the winged projection that babbled on with pretencious nonsense behind the podium. She had to trust in the Empire, trust that Imperial rule and law would superceed the clawing need of liberal beaurcrats to bring their pointless objections and power grabs into play. Katsuko's hands smoothed over the surface of her kimono, awaiting the words of the Princess.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back