• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Ship Artwork, would this be ok? (Using other avenues for artwork)

Kyle

Insane Story Writer Foxy
Inactive Member
So recently we've had a few newbies ask me a question that, while to me is straight forward and ok, I'm pondering about what the rest of the community thinks.

The question is basically about ship artwork, and usage of *game* ship-editors, such as Galactic Civilizations (1/2/3, etc). I mainly point to this one due to the large amount of creativeness a player can do with the parts. Now, I've seen other RP communities do this, and I haven't seen the company issue any kind of notices to those forums (even seen some of this on Nation States)

It is, without a doubt, that some of our players won't have the funds to purchase ship artwork, or probably won't be able to make their own (for one reason or another) using a 3d modeling program, but instead would find their creativeness better in some of these games with these editors.

So, my question for the community is this, what do the rest of you think about this?

I think the question is how prefab the ships are. If it's something with solid prefab assets (i.e. Spore) I'd rather not risk it. If it's a game like Starmade where all the assets are user-modeled, it's probably okay (despite it looking a little...you know, chunky.)

Space Engineers should be okay too. All the parts are prefab but it's not too rigid. It's good for temporary art at least.

For things like screenshots from games, the game's terms of service need to allow it fairly explicitly. For example, in the past I've let people use some Black Desert Character Creator because the terms seemed to be OK with it. But original art is strongly preferred because we want our site/RP to be unique. Also there's a potential slippery slope in terms of having to judge at what point a ship has enough originality to be considered a creation of the player and not just a bunch of copyrighted parts kitbashed together. For example someone could build a custom Star Trek ship in Star Trek Online that no one else has made, but it would still be obviously Star Trek themed.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back