• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Closed Simplified character creation flow

These suggestions have been dropped by the suggestor or rejected by staff.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whisper

Retired Staff
This thread is partly just to get people thinking about the idea, but I'll start off with my thoughts. :) Especially interested in hearing from some of our new folks.

The basic idea I want to propose is this - we put character creation templates on our Occupations articles that are already filled out with the basic details. We include, in the template, various instructions for the player to follow.

This includes basic/required skill selections, rank, starting equipment, a boiler plate background of their military history, etc.

We would keep Species as a separate thing, but potentially find a way to streamline the important details from those articles to be less onerous as well.

We put together some short history and culture summary that we think any character has to know if they from a faction.

Then we put it all together in some simple fashion that is easy to follow and concise.

The idea is that a new player should be able to easily make a character in ten minutes or less and be ready to join a plot or Open RP. As many of the decisions that they MUST make should be answered for them and the options they have should be easy to decide.

I don't mind putting together some examples of this to help people see what I'm thinking if the idea seems popular.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I agree, I think someone who comes to this site should be able to start playing as a random Neko Santo Hei in about five minutes without much difficulty. @Wes, if we wanted to include some javascript on a wiki page, how hard would that be?

I'm not sure how this thread differs from the other thread about "streamlining" character creation, but watch out for adding complexity. For example, skills are currently optional.

The best way to do a quick character creation would be to have some kind of framework that converts drop-down menus (or simply change the current character template to more simplified fill-in fields) into physical and history sentences. A player could choose "Minkan" plus "blue eyes" with "red hair" and it'd convert into a generated sentence that "Name is a Minkan with blue eyes and red hair." Something similar could be done with history so that you could choose "born in YE 22" and "Kyoto" and "occupation" for your history and the character template page would pop out "Name was born in Kyoto in YE 22. They enlisted in the Star Army as an Occupation in YECURRENTYEAR."

It'd make a lot of new characters look the same if players took the simplified path, but if we want something super short it seems like the best path.

At the end of the day, though, people can just make sheet-less characters in open RP and end up with something similar after doing some recruiting station RP.

I don't think occupation pages are the right place to put character templates so I'm not for this idea as written, but I do agree with streamlining/simplifying the creation process. I didn't vote either way.
I agree, I think someone who comes to this site should be able to start playing as a random Neko Santo Hei in about five minutes without much difficulty. @Wes, if we wanted to include some javascript on a wiki page, how hard would that be?
Sounds like a security risk to me!

It looks like this suggestion isn't getting votes so I'm going to close it.

I totally agree with simplifying the character creation process, I just think that maybe the presentation of this suggestion may have been either confusing or overly specific (?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back