• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Species Adoption Request

Having rped with Nick (MissingNo) since I first joined the site 15 years ago- he already pulled the things from his character's specific species that he wanted to keep for his purposes. I have not seen any character of this particular species since MissingNo played one in the IPG operator training plot that I helped run about 10ish years ago. Jenn has been gone from the site even longer. I would love to see this species return to activity within the setting! I enjoyed playing with this species with Michiko, Chiharu and Lenz. =)

Honestly, I feel like this species should be removed from the wiki because it has telekinesis and other "basically magic" powers that seem to violate the "no magic" rule of SARP.

Note at the bottom of the page it says:

Not intended for character-creation or as a playable race.

Ah, that doesn't affect my plans at all. I plan to use them to compound the history of another species I have in-dev. It doesn't matter if they're playable or not to me, they're more a relic of a time gone by in my intentions and don't need to be playable. We can always remove the "basically magic" stuff out.

How would that work?

The idea being they're a creator species which is extinct but left their "child" race in the dark when they did. They don't need to be playable if they're extinct. Obviously if they can be playable then it's just a matter of making those playable ones be a splinter of what once was.

I do agree that the Melumsi had some interesting psi technology and "shell body" crafting that could be a useful plot device in the right hands, and isn't a far cry from modern Star Army things to be too much of a worry. I had even actually muddled with trying to do something with them at one point, but as Wes said, that magic rule with some of the higher order powers gave me pause before thinking better of it.

Mmm, I can use them no matter what Wes rules on their current presence in SARP as long as they were once here. Obviously the more I'm allowed the more I can do but my main plan is to have them as background and not playable (though that could be cool) :)

I feel like I would need to know more about plans before I let anyone use this species.

The whole concept of an energy being that can "possess" other species is pretty dangerous. Note that we don't have any other energy entities on SARP to speak of.

The Iromakuanhe came about from a symbiotic relationship with an "ethereal, psionic" species in the distant past, for what that's worth.

Certainly none extant, making them playable might be a hard sell, but energy beings do have at least some precedent?

*perks*

A religious and nomadic group, the Saalii, moved from their area of space to Iruotl. It wasn't easy and it wasn't fun and that's a story in itself. When they arrived in Maekardan, a planet of the Iruotl system inhabited by the psions you speak of, which are a race of enigmatic sentient psionic phenomena called the Makuori or Sand Dreamers, they lived a quarter of a century there before the slash and burn methods started irritating the Sand Dreamers. When they denied the settlers access to parts of Maekardan, the Makuori started basically slaughtering them with bio-engineered war machines. Then the Saalii and Makuori didn't bother each other for a century.

That is when the Datalri, or the “Rifters”, arrived. They are a group that unknowingly survived the scary trip to Maekardan and turned out to be constructing a planet-glasser. When this was built and threatened the Makuori's home, they conceded:

"The Makuori made an offer to the Saalii people, promising enlightenment and a better future for themselves, in exchange for stewardship of Maekardan and the dormant Sand Dreamers. The Saal accepted, and were bonded to the Makuori, becoming their stewards and guardians for eternity. A wave of psionic energy burst across the landscape of Maekardan, inserting the genetic seed of the Makuori into the people that had sworn to protect them."

Does that sound like a race of super psions that can control other people's bodies?

That's a whole lot of awesome sounding narrative, Ame.

I'll whack some amount of my currently head-planned 4 arcs of Agartha into the GM/FM forum and perhaps it would be easy to decide then :)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back