• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Closed Split Character Creation into two Paths: Rapid and Detailed

These suggestions have been dropped by the suggestor or rejected by staff.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
This idea is for making a "turbo" character creation process that would allow new members to create a new character as rapidly as possible so they can hop in an RP. The way we'd do this is to eliminate most of the optional extras for character pages from the form (like skill lists, etc) and focus on the most important things only. Where ever possible the player would be presented with lists of options and brief tips for making an immediately-usable starter character in any of the the major factions (at least the top 3 like Yamatai, NDC, and Nepleslia). It MIGHT require having a separate character form per faction to avoid confusion. The process would automate things as much as reasonable and try to avoid making the new person do much wiki editing.

The existing character creation process could be rebranded as the detailed character creation process. It would be the one with the full range of options.

When I was working on the character form I decided this is is definitely something I want to do to make SARP easier to join and to encourage characters who first especially for people who are jumping in for the first time, but for me the real question isn't "if" we should do this but "how" can we do it in the best way possible and I'd love your suggestions.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I like the idea for new players if they are wanting to jump in and get an idea of what this site is like. Especially for one of the open threads. However, for the actual plots, I would think the more detailed character creation would be have to be mandatory.

With skills already optional, what else could be cut? Inventory? Make it more explicit that social connections are optional? The only thing I can fathom that’d make character creation simpler would be to allow no history section since it can be filled up with actual RP and backfilled after people get a feel for their characters. Which is totally fine, especially because Neko can almost get away with it already, so why not for everyone?

Maybe the history section could be part of the character generator, mad lib style.

example:
(CHARACTER NAME) was born in YE (##) on (PLANET/STATION/SHIP). They joined the (PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT/MILITARY) in YE (##).

I do think though that if we do cut out the history we should have the players at least write a sentence or 2 about one or 2 major events in their past. (Unless they're something like Neko's who might not even have much of a past) I know we want people making characters quick to get in RP, but when people start having to not 'think' about their character in order to make it they start autopiloting and characters get shallow and samey, or flanderizations of tropes.

I do think though that if we do cut out the history we should have the players at least write a sentence or 2 about one or 2 major events in their past. (Unless they're something like Neko's who might not even have much of a past) I know we want people making characters quick to get in RP, but when people start having to not 'think' about their character in order to make it they start autopiloting and characters get shallow and samey, or flanderizations of tropes.
Maybe. I went into the Ternifac bar thread with no concept for my character (Thia) except that she's an "information broker," which I never defined and didn't really have a good idea of what it meant until her final post. Maybe she was shallow and samey or a flanderized trope. But I like to think that she became someone distinct as I interacted with other people.

@hyralt I'm not saying all characters that people don't think through are doomed to end up that way. But it doesn't hurt to make sure everyone spends like 5 minutes thinking about the history of their character. Not everyone is going to end up realizing their character is shallow at the start and might just continue on without getting deeper if not sat down and told. It's also kind of a disservice to the GM and the rest of the players to come in with no history at all, no one has anything to work with on your character, and sudden revelations about your character's past that were just thought up could actually result in problems.

They don't have to be huge elaborate events in their history, and they don't have to be full of SARP lore, but if the character has lived ICly for more than a year there should be at least 1 or 2 things in their history in my opinion.

History is not one of the things I consider unessential for a character and would still be included on the turbo character creator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back