• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Sport in SARP

I think a good idea would be to have the sports, whatever they are hosted by a group that everyone gets along with. That's why the space Lacross thing I was thinking of I was either going to have its 'world cup' hosted by Origin, or by some new sports authority. Because if any one nation controls the event, then we've got some diplomatic issues that'll show up.

I believe that to be true too. Sport should be non-governmental, to prevent any diplomatic incidents. Personnaly, I think perhaps a coalition of Origin, Tamahagane and Murasaki could get a sport event going. Tell me what you think.

I'm actually posting here to hopefully promote a discussion. I know there's a few sports listed, but I'm wondering just how many are current/still approved things?

@Wes - If you know more, or if anyone does, I'd like to know. I've been considering a type of sport or game article in-between my free-time spurts, but never really knew what the current state was in relation to sports and junk within the setting. I'm sure these are mostly for fluff references versus something updated and expanded... but I figured I'd try to bring this up and see both thoughts and updates on where this lands.

There's almost nothing on sports in the SARP setting so the field is wide open.

It's funny, tonight when I was at a party I was thinking about team names.
  • Kyoto Aether
  • Fleet Depot Forklifts
  • Shinjuku Steamrollers
  • Tesenjou Titans

Well, names are a lot easier once the sports are fleshed out. It does give me the idea way down the line to create some Sports.

Starting in Nepleslia. Nepleslians need proper full-contact set-to-stun battle tournaments. With tasers.

I can get my company's civilian subsidiary to roll out a line of sports products, which might be nice for adding some in-setting sports equipment. They could even run competitions by donating cash prizes or sponsor players. Just a thought. I know a lot of the other companies are inactive and as Yoerik said, competitions should be non-governmental.

It would be nice to have an event or two where characters can turn up for a sports event, that's a fun little side thing to RP.

We need sports before you can supply equipment.

Silly birb.

But yeah: ideally, I'll be able to get some sports rolled on in the future. Srs ones. Of srs proportions. Really a bit odd that it's such an open slate considering the things we DO have (like bands).

I imagine that Nekovalkyrja would be very athletically-inclined! I have discussed with @HAMnJAM the possibility of a football or basketball league. I have also dedicated some thought to how a sports plot would be executed from a gameplay standpoint. I think that football would be the easiest, simply because of the constant breaks in action. However, basketball and soccer would be quite a bit more difficult because of their continuous flow. They would require a good deal of abbreviation to be viable for roleplay.

I'm an NBA fan IRL (Go Celtics!), I would love to see a basketball team plot!

I've also dedicated some thought to the rules and such. I imagine that the usage of gravity manipulation would be disallowed, and there would be special sensors installed at or near the field to prevent the players from doing such, especially in a subtle manner. Those abilities would be disastrous to a sport like basketball, which features a lot of jumping and athleticism.

One of the topics that comes up in modern football are concussions and brain damage. Anyone with internal hemosynthesis (Nekovalkyrja) would likely be able to repair such damage on the fly, with little to no medical intervention.

I actually think a better sport for Neko might be something higher paced. In Yamatai in particular, I think they'd do really well with an IGPX or an F-Zero/podracing style circuit. I think racing sports, basically, where the Neko would depend on craft versus their natural speed and strength, would be more popular and get them to show off their "top of the line engineering" that makes them the fastest species.

Nepleslia would definitely be contact sports (basketball would fit them well, but maybe more like Slam Ball, where loose fighting and launch pads/trampolines could be used could make it more "Nepleslian).

It's something I've thought about, for sure, especially given that the two factions have such thick culture blocks but oddly miss the most simplistic peg of competitive sports.

No man in his right mind gets on a trampoline to have fun, Legix.

They could even run competitions by donating cash prizes or sponsor players.
@Ametheliana I see you jumped on the idea of sponsoring sports I mentioned above in your most recent thread:

Sign up today to be a part of the Havok Customs' Racing Team sponsored by Akemi's!

Would you like myself to make a rival group so that your racers have some competition? I was very interested in this aspect myself obviously but I didn't realise the means to do so had come up.

Would it be possible to sponsor Nova bikes from Origin? @CadetNewb

Last edited:
Is it too late to still point out the IGPX meme?

Because IDK, I just think that racing needs a good flare.

We would have to agree that the earnings were split evenly among all participating teams if that were to happen, Ethereal.

But I am open to talking it out heck yeah ^^

So I've wanted to do Saiga Technical Motorsports for a while, since I love motorcycling irl and have always wanted some cool bikes in RP. They'd make both airbikes and traditional supermoto-style bikes. But that's neither here nor there.

Enter this whole business.

Long story short is: After seeing that Bliz and Ameme were doing something neat with Havok finally, I offered to get some cool custom airbike pictures if she could find a good sci-fi technical designer. I'm willing to expand that to include STM, Havok, Ken-TEC, and one other. Hit me up if you want the fourth slot and would actually make a tech article for your bike!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back