• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Standard Occupation skills

Syaoran

Retired Staff
Since the new sheets are okay with you linking directly to skill list. I think it'd be good if we made a page listing skills for general, non faction specific occupations. Like freighter pilots, personal assistants, businessmen, and so on. Since independent plots are picking up again and we have more civilian characters.

I agree, but it seems like it might not be as straight forward or clear-cut. It'd also be more akin to "skill packs" or templates, since these "jobs" would be far less as well-trained or inclusive as stuff like military training might be. Origins would also modify said packs/templates considerably, such as an Engineer from the Iroma might also double as a botanist/veterinarian while one from the Freespacers might dabble in nuclear sciences to ensure proper radiation levels and the like.

Well that's why I say we should avoid faction specific jobs. Like if we put engineer up, for most factions it'll be roughly the same, but yeah Iroma's will be different. But then jobs like personal assistant, they'd need to know how to use a computer, and while different factions have different computer systems, we can assume that they know how to use the computers of their faction and/or the faction that they got the job in. This is pretty much just so every time someone makes say, a politician, they don't have to keep writing out the same skill set over and over, and such.

WTB a personal assistant for the Shinpi. I didn't know people were making those and now I want one.

Well that's why I say we should avoid faction specific jobs. Like if we put engineer up, for most factions it'll be roughly the same, but yeah Iroma's will be different. But then jobs like personal assistant, they'd need to know how to use a computer, and while different factions have different computer systems, we can assume that they know how to use the computers of their faction and/or the faction that they got the job in. This is pretty much just so every time someone makes say, a politician, they don't have to keep writing out the same skill set over and over, and such.
This sounds kind of like character classes in an MMO!

Well a little less than classes. It's more like skill bundles like Legix said. Not sure what format I want to put it in but just a little blurb, so instead of listing each individual skill you can say "I trained as a computer engineer" and link to the skill set. Of course you'd be able to have multiple training, assuming your character is old enough to have had the time to do so.

I like this idea, and I think it could work pretty well. Like the Star Army skills list but for common independent/civilian character types.

Syaoran do you want to head this? If you just wanted to come up with the idea and would like someone else to do the wiki-work, I'd be happy to. But if you want to make it happen, that'd be neat, too.

Well this thread was for a couple of things, since it looks like everyone will like the idea, the format is gonna need to be standardized. But while I have a few ideas, I want other people contribute some job ideas they have to the page too once it's up.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back