• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Rejected Submission Star Army Corps Template

raz

SAINT Director
🌟 Site Supporter
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=template:star_army_military_corps
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Yamatai (except Elysia)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
I noticed that this got deleted for being in wip: for over a year.

It's the template that I created for SAINT based on Star Army Logistics. The Star Army Military Police and the Star Army Reconnaissance pages both followed this template's example even though it was in wip:, and Ethereal's SARA update also uses its basic pattern (though it cites the Recon page due to this being deleted). Might as well try to get it moved out of wip: so that it doesn't get deleted once a year.

Because new wiki stuff has been added since I originally made it, I added that a struct field can be used in the personnel section if the page's author desires it (not mandatory, though, as some of these organizations pull from multiple occupation lists).

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
@Wes @Andrew @RaWolfe
Tagging some Yam FMs for approval. Take a look at Raz's other submission as well, please.

I think the template itself works well and has already gotten plenty of use, so no issues from me on that side.

FM Stamp for Yamatai.

Something to add here - In accordance with @Wes 's initiatives there should be a History Section at the top of this template.

On the SAINT page, "Important Information" is where the history is listed.

I have edited the template's text to reflect that this is where it should go: "This section should include at least a brief history of your military corps. The 'occupations' and 'essential reading' sections are optional and can be removed if it's unnecessary, such as if the corps has an NPC specialty or no other articles to link to."

A lot of history is often included in each of the sub-command sections. Many military corps have no history at all, especially due to the fact that SAINT and Logistics are the only fleet-level non-fleet commands in the Star Army. If you really want a header that says "History" then it can be added, but it might be difficult for many of the template's users to incorporate (SAMP, for example, has no history listed at all and leaves it to the occupations pages).

Please don't approve this until I get time to look at it. I've got a lot on my plate right now.

A couple of brief thoughts before I get back to work on this project:
  • History section isn't optional, it needs it and it should be called history. No exceptions.
  • I don't really like the infobox table
I guess the meta standard for wiki articles in general (which the new places template is based on) is:
  • Title and Introduction
    • History
    • Description (functions, capabilities, transportation options)
    • RP Opportunities
    • People (characters, etc)
    • Contents (Items, Assets, Ships, etc)
    • OOC Notes
If we could get this closer to that, it would be better.

I can tweak it some, no problem. As I said, it was originally based on your own Star Army Logistics page from back in the day. Since then, we've done away with a lot of tables and stuff, so it should be easy to move things around. The info table generally includes a lot of stuff that can go into a history section. This will mean, of course, that a lot of the Star Army's perfectly fine existing articles will need to be beefed up to "standards," though.

Went and looked at the Star Army Personnel Command page, as it's @Wes's most recent Star Army organizational page, and included some of the elements there based on his above list. The information stack has been slightly reworked based on this new source of inspiration.

Title and Introduction - already present in the original
History - Explicit section added
Description (functions, capabilities, transportation options) - already present in the original, added a "function" section and a boilerplate about how Star Army Logistics handles transportation (and also added it to the SAINT page itself with more custom text, thanks for the new info requirements ;)).
People (characters, etc) - already present in the original
Contents (Items, Assets, Ships, etc) - already present in the original
OOC Notes - already present in the original

Additionally, I removed the infobox and shifted things around to match Wes's preferred style as is present on the pages he created.

I did not include "RP Opportunities," as this seems more appropriate on non-organization pages (such as locations and plot pages themselves). If a Star Army organization has a metaplot page like Personnel's then these sorts of things would probably be better there.

“RP opportunities” are actually support elements for players to see “okay how can I RP with this organization”. See it more as a tool for players to be able to use it in their RP rather then making the player seek for it. Help them get a general idea :)

I realized that I'd already made a better version of the template for the initial stages of a SAINT update, which is here. I think it looks better than adding redundant "function" like I did for the template submission, which was made in haste after Wes posted his requirements. All of the information requested is actually there already in some form. And I think the flow of information is superior to what's in the current submission. If it's okay, let me know if I can adopt what's below for the template.

The Table of Contents for the SAINT update, which I'd like to use for this submission, is:
  • Title level and intro (not on ToC)
  • Roleplay Information
    • Occupations (the RP opportunities this command has)
    • Corps Essentials (links to things, comments on special )
  • History
    • Significant Era
  • Organization (Function information)
    • Sub-command 1 (details)
    • Sub-command 2
    • Sub-command 3
    • Sub-command etc.
  • Corps Resources (contents)
    • Key Facilities
    • Starships (canonical ship pages plus transport options)
  • Operations (plots, background meta elements)
    • Active
    • Complete
  • Personnel
    • Staff NPCs
    • Notable Characters (or struct list)
  • OOC Notes

Just as a reminder, too: This is for non-fleet Star Army organizations like SAINT, Rangers, Logistics, and MPs. All of them already use this format with some particular modifications on each. This is simply a standardization so that people have something solid to work off of instead of looking at any one of the slightly different existing articles.

Rejected due to negative score.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back