• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Star Army Uniforms: A Look Back

CadetNewb

Over the years, no other faction has gone through as many changes to its uniform as the Star Army of Yamatai. As I went around examining SARP's artwork, I decided to make this commentary thread primarily for a change of pace and relax. However, it's to also bring to attention some of the more notable designs for some of the players that weren't around for them, and also talk about their history and impact too. Also, I'll be sticking to primarily female designs because the Nekovalkyrja are the centerpiece of Yamatai, but I likely will make mention of male uniforms here and there. Obviously, I won't be covering all of them, and I'll likely get a few things wrong, and would appreciate corrections of course. Anyways, let's start with the earliest we can find.

Before power armor, there was this:

fetch.php

The Grand Star Army Coverall, Type 1. I wasn't around for this, but from what I understand, it's what was used for quite some time until power armor became a thing. It wasn't Yamatai that came up with PA first however. Rather, it was the NDI, which also gave our setting the stuff called Nerimium before going back to their own dimension. Yes, their own dimension. Having a war across dimensions and visiting several of them was a thing back in the day, and in most cases, this armored flak vest was good enough. It was a different time. The arrival of the NDI's power armor however, started the end of one era and the beginning of another. In-Character, these were the longest serving uniforms, having been around from YE 1 to around YE 25 for infantry to use. However, the same doesn't hold true Out of Character, since that time period is sorta compressed from what I understand.

If I recall correctly though, these did make a brief showing when the Draconian Fleet got un-space-wedgied and escaped from a temporal stasis in a cosmic no-neko's-land thanks to the Miharu. Maybe even had a brief showing during the International Relations Conference that took place shortly after the end of the Second Mishhu War as well, when military police showed up. Needless to say, they aren't the most stylish, nor do they stand out too much.

Its successor though, definitely was:

fetch.php
fetch.php
fetch.php
fetch.php
(Big, Has Coat)
fetch.php
(Really Big)

That.

That is the Female Body Suit Uniform, Type 22. It looks like a pretty bold jump, going from one to the next, doesn't it? I don't know why, but it happened, and if I had to guess, a lot of people were happy. Unless there's something missing - something simply lost to the archives or gone due to the move - I am lead to believe that this uniform more or less served as the basis from which all other Star Army designs were made. With most of them, you'll see some sort of linage back to this uniform here. Taking on the mantle of Captain Obvious, this uniform very clearly emphasized and accentuated the female form, and even spawned some notable quotes;

"Tight is right!"
- Ketsurui Hanako

“You should be used to seeing women in tights. This is the Star Army of Yamatai after all!”
- Kurohoshi Masako ( Second Picture Above)

However, as good looking as they all are, you may notice that some of the characters have one finger less than they should. What you're looking at is an earlier model of Neko. Some had jet flaps on their back and stored fuel in their breasts, while others had no vital organs and could take a magazine of handgun rounds to the chest, only to lament their uniform was ruined.

Though that last bit was off topic, for better or worse, they really don't make them like they used to.

Out of Character, this is probably one of the very longest, if not the longest serving uniform if I got this bit right. This was around from 2002 to 2007 where it was finally replaced, but even then, it still stuck around to some degree. With the Draconian Fleet's return, the uniform saw a resurgence IC, with Morioka herself being a sort of poster child for the Old Neko. Hell, it even got re-instated in YE 35/2013. It's clear that it's a well liked uniform, and not only that, it has a design that's fairly original and unique to the setting at large. That's something important right there. Most would kill for something that's well and truly 'theirs'.

Anyways, that's the first go at this, and I'll likely make more as I browse through all the artwork we have on the site. Questions, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, hey; as I said, I'll get to it when I get to it! Male uniforms did change a bit over time as well, though not as drastically I think.

Rather, it was the NDI, which also gave our setting the stuff called Nerimium before going back to their own dimension.
The NDI never wore these. These are 100% Uesureyan designs. They're based on the flak jackets and armor suits I used to make out of felt for my G.I. Joes back when I was a kid.

fetch.php

There was actually another uniform before the bodysuit, the Star Army briefly used, but I can't find an image of it, and it didn't enter widespread use (it was before the Star Army ran RP plots, but after the Star Army appeared in an RP). But I wanted to mention it because it was the first one that had the tricorner hats and a cloak, both of which were carried over to use on the Type 22 Bodysuit for years until the Type 32 sailor cap and Type 32 Peacoat replaced them.

The boots, belts, and gloves were supposed to be gray, but somehow in almost all of the art, they ended up white. Eventually I made an official policy that as long as they matched, the boots, belt, and gloves could be a number of colors including black, dark gray, white, tan, or brown, which opened the door to strangely inconsistent uniforms of the Type 30 era. Similarly, the uniform's actual color varied from blue to teal, as there was no exact color specified.

Not long after these were created and I met Kim at Katsucon, she suggested a dress version (as in a dress, not as in formal) of the uniform, and that was put into service that same year as Dress Uniform, Type 22. This was important because it was the first unbifurcated (e.g. not pants) uniform that would set the foundations for later female skirt uniforms.

fetch.php

Sorry Wes, I was unclear about that - I was making mention of those flak jackets running into first gen power armor. I've went ahead and edited my post to clear that up a bit more. Also, I knew there was something that wasn't there in the wiki. Thanks for pointing that out, though, it's a pity there's no art of it. I've also added in another pair of images of the Type 22 Body Uniform that I ran across as I searched through the archives as well. Enjoy!

Anyways, you've also beaten me to the punch; the next thing on my list was the Star Army Dress Uniform, Type 22.

fetch.php
fetch.php
(Big)

And it also came in a formal variety, all white:

fetch.php
fetch.php
(Big)

Despite this being one of the earliest uniforms in the Star Army's inventory, having served right alongside the Type 22 Body Suit, I was actually hard pressed to find many examples of it. If I had to guess, the Body Suit was simply the more popular choice at the time, even though this one did happen to show some skin. It's also an early design too, so kinks were not to be unexpected; the fact that it's a one piece dress may have had something to do with its appeal as well, but of course, appeal is a subjective thing. However, I agree with Wes that this also served as the foundation of future Star Army uniforms as well. The skirt, we will see on pretty much every uniform from here on out as the default on Star Army uniforms.

Just like the Type 22 Body Uniform, this is what any reader should picture when they read the classic RPs in the archives that took place before YE 29/30, which I'll get into later. Both the Type 22 Body Uniform and Dress have become an emblem of the Star Army, and though the Dress did not last, a lot of the actions of the past become a lot more vivid when you imagine that the majority of the Neko were wearing these. For every boarding action, zero-g access-way flown down, intimate moment or Mishhu Attack, one of these two were either worn or hastily torn off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really enjoying this thread. I like looking back at the old uniforms a lot and its fun to read some backstory about them :3 cant wait for the next installment!

Thanks Gunsight, I'm glad you're enjoying this. I'm just sad I couldn't find too much on the Type 22 Dress. Also facepalmed and added a bit more exposition.

Last edited:
You're welcome. It's actually fun to go through the media archives and search around. We got a lot of character artwork over the years, and it's pleasant to see it all. As we go along, I'm also curious to hear what all players think or feel about these too. Is one preferred over another? Does this one look a bit odd here, or could look better there? Would they like to see more of this or that? I could dig around and post them up if asked even. Insight to people's opinions is gold.

Yeah for sure! Actually, looking at some of the really old uniform art makes me want to do some art of my characters who were around in those times wearing those uniforms :)

Here's an example of a "vintage" artwork that shows the early Flak Jacket and coveralls and the bodysuit (minus the stockings):

fetch.php

I was going to suggest some kind of skintight bodysuit for PA wearers that incorporates things like AIES, the PSC, and other smaller systems into it so that space can be saved on the armor proper. But I was talked out of it.

Wow! This is impressive CadetNewb. Enjoy looking at the history of a site. Most sites when upgrading to a newer uniform or look, delete the older stuff.

Maybe I'm biased, but the uniform I like the best is when I join and in current use.

Yeah, there's next to no room savings to be had @Kirkatan ; basic power armors here are already Iron Man level, if not higher. As for Spray On uniforms @Wes , that might not be a bad idea. Honestly, with the hemosynth fabrication system, if a Neko wanted a new uniform and was feeling lazy, I think she could likely just program it so she can just skinny dip in, and come out dressed too. And I agree @Samanthia , I definitely feel the same way. The ones in current use when we join are basically what we've come to know over the years, and love. However, I've also learned that very same feeling can have us end up missing out on some pretty neat stuff. Besides having fun and examining how the uniforms changed over the years, that's another reason why I decided to do this.

Anyways, on to the next uniform!

Given that I've stuck to the General Use uniforms so far, and even stayed with the chronological order, I'm sure some of you can guess what I'm going to write about next. The Type 30 series of Star Army Uniforms! Of course, given its iterations, we're just starting with the Type 30A Star Army Duty Uniform.

fetch.php
fetch.php
(Hanako Closeup)
fetch.php
(Yui Closeup)
fetch.php
(Kotori Closeup)

Skin, skirts and spandex, oh my!~~

Coming from the Type 22 Bodysuit, and then the Type 22 Dress, you can immediately see the lineage that all three share with one another. At the chest and around the waist or lap, you can see the triangular point there as a common theme between all three, defining the upper and lower portions of the colored section of the chest. However, it's been expanded here to take on the entire torso, giving the uniform a more distinct profile, dividing it into sections and adding more depth; it no longer looks like a one-piece dress, and likely isn't. Another new addition would be the inclusion of a sweater-like material or -as I like to think - a sweater patterned spandex at the shoulders and upper chest.

Surprisingly, with how close it clings to the wearer and the color contrast the materials have, it actually gives off a faint impression of their shoulders being bare, and without actually being bare of all things. Another thing that I'm sure you all noticed, is the material that the chest and shoulders are made out of; a protective, energy dispersing polymer which conforms to Every. Single. Curve. And it even has skirt options, which I'll get into even more detail later. I personally prefer the pleated skirt that Hanako has here, since it gives more visual depth, and a particularly girlish, energetic look.

Instead of just being a look that I think is very unique to SARP, I believe it's also a uniform that very much emphasizes the feminine form and the person wearing it. Something that's very important considering our site's postergirls - Nekovalkyrja.

Out of all uniforms though, this one likely has the most pictures, so there's more to come! Stay tuned!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back