• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Structured Data Updates for Wiki Pages

If you missed the last meeting, you might not have heard about the structure data that's being added to wiki pages. What is that, you ask? Well, basically it's tagging pages with nuggets of data (like for example tagging character pages with ranks or occupation or species). If namespaces or pages are added to a schema (think of a little database) under the main edit field you'll see some extra boxes. These fields are actually hugely useful to the site because they can be used to make lists of characters like:
  • Listing every SAOY character who hasn't been promoted in over 3 years
  • Listing all Elysian characters
  • Listing all locations in the setting and sorting them by type and faction
  • Finding all the Star Army's clerks
  • AUTOMATED CREW ROSTERS THE GM DOESN'T HAVE TO EDIT or go into "wiki code table hell" for!
  • Automatically updated list of playable species (already implemented)
Right now the Star Army of Yamatai is kind of the guinea pig for a lot of these but I hope to use the learning experiences when I roll these useful tools out to the other factions.

Speaking of growing pains...

We've updated the way that ranks work in struct data. Instead of looking up a rank page, it talks to the new stararmy_ranks database and provides a convenient dropdown. The purpose was continuing work to try to get ranks to sort by rank on crew roster. Unfortunately this means all rank fields on character bios will have to be updated to use the new system. If you're a GM you can change your crew roster to use the column saoy_rank_old instead of saoy_rank if you want to use the old data for now.

As I continue to roll out new struct stuff, I'm going to use this thread to post updates.

Also, we have TONS and TONS of older pages that need to be tagged with data so they're findable. I have been doing this almost all by myself and need help with the workload. Please help me. You can offer help in this thread and I'll assign you a small task like "update struct data for all star systems that start with P on this page" and if we work as a community it will go fast.

I have discovered that pages listed on struct lists (and are linked into pages that way) are being listed as orphans.

S..sa...save the orphans...

Could there be a schema for the Kingdom of Neshaten? Like Schema kon_personnel has the following columns available:​

• kon_status
  • kon_jobcode
  • kon_rank
For some reason, I cant unbold it lol

Last edited:
Is there a struct or way we can bookmark pages that are stubs/endless subpages? Outside of the quality plugin, because it mixes them with everything. It would be nice if we could get a list of these pages to be fixed.

Starships

The page schema starships is used for tracking starships of all factions. Use it for automatic fleet lists and fleet counts.

Available columns are:

starship_status (dropdown)
starship_prefix (dropdown - contact Wes if you need to add one)
starship_name (text)
starship_registry (text)
starship_class (page)
starship_fleet (page)
starship_captain (page)

Demo: First Fleet on Star Army Space Roleplay

Could there be a schema for the Kingdom of Neshaten? Like Schema kon_personnel has the following columns available:​

• kon_status
  • kon_jobcode
  • kon_rank
For some reason, I cant unbold it lol
Yes, we can sent this up if there's still interest!

Is there a struct or way we can bookmark pages that are stubs/endless subpages? Outside of the quality plugin, because it mixes them with everything. It would be nice if we could get a list of these pages to be fixed.
Right now, I'd like these to be marked with a FIXME tag which will attract attention from the quality plugin.

character_plots has been added to the characters schema, making it possible to automatically list all characters in a plot regardless of factions (even the enemy NPCs!)

Artwork​

Added in October 2021 as a result of the October 2021 Art Explosion, this global struct is useful for keeping track of Star Army related art commissions.
Columns include:
  • art_image
  • art_characters
  • art_author
  • art_type
  • art_payment_amount
  • art_payment_status
  • art_payment_date
  • art_payment_method
  • art_rating
  • art_status
  • art_title
  • art_copyright_holder
  • art_commission_date
  • art_date
  • art_project
  • art_commission_link

Please add the following to Products & Items database:
  • "number of recommended crew" (integer type)
  • "maximum capacity" (integer type)
Really they belong on ships or vehicles, but I don't think we have structs for those, so Products & Items should work.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back