• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission Sunavi Corporation

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
So...under whose laws does this corp operate under? Where is it based?

image0.jpg

Its west of Nep space and south of Elysian space, an area that is not gonna cause an issue with anyone :)

Its an independent corporation that operates in unclaimed space. I made sure that I made contract pages to reflect on how they operate. So like I chat with both Legix and Char about how Sunavi can operate in Nep space and I had to tune up the security policy in that contract. That is kinda how I want to move forward.

Eh, a lawless group?

Okay, but please note these types of groups aren't able to get business licenses to sell in Yamataian space or travel visas or passports to enter Yamataian space. Effectively these types of rogue states are banned from interacting with Yamatai's population.

Oh not lawless at all...Hmm how to put this...

If I enter Nep space with my transport ships I abide myself to their law...
If I enter NDC space with my transport ships I abide myself to their law...

That is why I specifically placed those contracts on the page. To outline what my corp can and can't do. I was going to approach you for a travel pass through Yamatai space to get faster to NDC space. But I leave that up to you @Wes if you consider a very friendly and straightforward business as a rogue, I would be sad by it but I cant force you, I will have to take a detour around yamatai space.

Yamatai sees anything Indi as pirates as of last year for OOC reasons and will just outright merc them if you dont put a nep or yam flag on your corp.

nepleslia wont, however. And it will look bad on yamatai when they kill a cruise ship full of innocent people and create a diplomatic incident.

How best to explain this...if a company doesn't work under the laws of a nation (e.g a Cruise Ship with a Bahamas flag) then it's not accountable to anyone. The people in the company wouldn't have any legal rights, or military protection other than what little security forces the corp can fund, no citizenship, etc. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statelessness - In real life Statelessness is considered a big problem because stateless people face huge problems.

So what currency would the company use?

It's Yamatai's position that it shouldn't provide support these kind of companies who think they can avoid the rule of law (and taxes) by moving out into unclaimed space and setting themselves up as a de facto micronation.

Wes makes a decent point.

Maybe Sunavi sets something up where taxes, laws, etc, are followed based on the faction they're operating within, and some degree of oversight for its independent operations? This would probably end up in a situation similar to CA regulations, where most companies will just have all of their products follow the most stringent set of regulations so they don't need to make multiple products. Some companies will make CA and non-CA versions of things (vehicles, for example), because the cost savings are enough to make it worthwhile.

So, Sunavi would require a charter or something for each faction it wants to operate within. They'd agree to follow the laws there, to pay taxes based on their business within that sector, etc, etc. The business itself could remain independent and in independent territory.

One challenge with this approach for you, Ra, would be that you'd need FM approval from every faction that you wanted to have your submissions operate within. You'd be independent in name, but would essentially be operating as a corporation under all the factions you operate in ... simultaneously.

I think that's kinda cool, but I don't think there's any precedent for it. @Wes or someone more senior on the site would need to decide if this approach is even something they'd support. The setting submission form does allow you to check multiple factions, if I recall..

An alternative is you could just put your banner under one of the factions (say, the NDC, who are besties with everyone) and then have operating licenses for the other factions. A lot simpler, but maybe not what you're going for.

I'll hold off on giving my FM stamp until we've sorted this out, but conceptually I am very onboard with Sunavi.

While I understand the Statelessness in your explanation and that off how Yamatai reflects such a stand. I went this road for a reason, the reason is to get a company going that can do contracts with more than one faction without the backlash of any kind. Say the Nep hate YAM (example!) then it gets very difficult for Sunavi with say a Nep flag to do business in YAM space.

@Whisper that is actually the approach I wanted to go with, I did ask permission from NDC and Nep to do this and I stated that I will abide their laws in our contracts (I can write it down in there to make it more solid)

I wanted to create more freedom with this approach, however, the coin is a good question, as a business is still flourishing from the starting point I would say that we follow the coin of Nep as a baseline as NDC has a developing coin which is not economically galactic strong enough (Even though they fund us!).

Ow, EDIT: Additionally I wish to have Sunavi and her station to be a ground where indy plots can lift off from! Give them that support they can have (which doesn't mean supporting pirates!)

Right. I mean the first question you get asked at any border crossing is "May I see your passport?" and if this company is extranational maybe they just end up with corp employee and the customs guard blankly staring at each other until the Sunavi dude turned is away for being undocumented.

Right. I mean the first question you get asked at any border crossing is "May I see your passport?" and if this company is extranational maybe they just end up with corp employee and the customs guard blankly staring at each other until the Sunavi dude turned is away for being undocumented.
A good observation, but this is how I approached it (again if I fall in repeat is that I am trying to make a point sorry). The corp makes a contract with the faction over what it may and may not do. One of the notes that I placed in both Nep and NDC contract is the following.
  • Has to help in profile checking of Sunavi employees. This is a security detail that Sunavi demands.
It is exactly why you ask for a passport...Sunavi shows its cards to the faction "Hey we are sending you this guy, the person got a passport from NDC or Nep...you can check the criminal records..." If it states in your criminal database that he has no rights in YAM space...Sunavi won't send that employee to your space.

Example for contract: Nep-01-42-sn

For the NDC's interactions with Sunavi, you've got my approval to go with the currently discussed plan and operate within Conclave space accordingly. I'll leave it up to Sunavi and Yamatai to figure out their deal. :)

In the event that Sunavi requires a faction's backing, the NDC will be happy to assist without changing up the terms of the agreement too drastically. If Sunavi chooses another parent faction, then business will continue as usual.

Just a question, the comapny itself is independent of a nation, but the company is not its own nation right? Couldn't technically the members still be citizens of their original nations? Just the company has a policy that people maintain their citizenships, and the company itself is tried under 'international law' if they do anything wrong? We do have crossfaction trade agreements so I would think there would be a set of laws for handling things that involve multiple nations. Like who has rights to investigate if independent merchant ship with a Nep captain gets blown up in Yam space.

Just a question, the comapny itself is independent of a nation, but the company is not its own nation right? Couldn't technically the members still be citizens of their original nations? Just the company has a policy that people maintain their citizenships, and the company itself is tried under 'international law' if they do anything wrong? We do have crossfaction trade agreements so I would think there would be a set of laws for handling things that involve multiple nations. Like who has rights to investigate if independent merchant ship with a Nep captain gets blown up in Yam space.
Yes, the Corp is not a nation on itself, it's just a company. So I did go with the idea that employees can have nationality from where they come from. This helps with criminal checking as well. so International Law would apply to them, something I would like to avoid but if it comes to it, yes.

What is the nationality of the corporation's owner, though?

Okay, it has been itching my fingers and I facepalmed myself when Wes pointed out the protection, benefits of the employee. So I thought "Why did I not include this..." as a person that got a degree in HRM I should have. So I did include it to the page:

I'll claim this and consider the 3-day timer starting the day of submission.

So long as nothing comes up that would prevent this from being reviewed by Tuesday, I'll run it through the approval checklist at that time.

Hello! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...

[ ✅ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✅ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✅ ] 3. The article follows our wiki-style guidelines, including No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✅ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✅ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate and are not broken
[ ✅ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✅ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✅ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✅ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✅ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

approved2.gif

RPG-D RPGfix
Back