• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission "Taihō" Scalable Mass Driver

Yuuki

Wiki-chan! Ganbatte yo!
🌟 Site Supporter
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
One weapons system, 27 different implementations. Basically the same thing at different sizes.

This solves two issues:

1. A lot of gaps at various damage tiers
  2. Wiki bloat- the various articles would be very similar and redundant, so this is a proof of concept

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Looks good! 3-Day approval timer.

Overall, I really liked this idea, but there were a few things that stuck out to me. The sidearm, rifle, MMG and HMG seem to me to be a tier high for what they are, and the frame weapons I feel like need a bit more discussion to flesh out what they exactly are to figure out what tiers they should be.

In general for this project, I feel like it will be very useful prototype for future firearms technology pages, so it might be useful to go back and look at existing stuff to make sure that these make sense since I think that future examples will follow the pattern you used for the different weapon examples.

It might help to include basic definitions for what you mean by "Service rifle" and "Support weapon" (or Support Rifle) or other terms like that, and I feel like some confusion could be alleviated by including a firing rate column in the quick info table under the pricing header, just to give people a slightly better idea of how each weapon acts.

I love this whole idea though, and I'd love to see it polished so that we can follow this example in the future so that it's easier to make a family of weapons.

There is a firing rate column, explanation is in the note in the column header. (Same with the form factor of a weapon)
And the LMG, etc. are not personnel-tier weapons: they'd need to be emplaced with a crew manning them, and are used by a power armor or frame as a handheld weapon, depending on tier. There are literally dozens of Tier 2 pistols and Tier 3 Rifles, and there is a Tier 1 light pistol below the sidearm. (I should maybe make a Tier 2 Light Rifle though)

Support weapon is common military parlance for "Machine Gun Carried by a Soldier and not on a Vehicle" and Support Rifle is also jargon for "Sniper Rifle."

Last edited:
I missed the firing rate, which is my bad. Maybe it would be a bit easier to see if it had its own column, but it's there. I do think that you should include the knowledge that you assume the reader has for definitions like that though, as an unfamiliar reader might assume "Oh LMG means the kind of belt-fed machine gun that I run around with and deploy on a bipod" and assume that it's meant to be used by a single soldier.

Additionally, I think that the tiers for certain entries do bear revisiting. While I understand the desire to cover every single tier, some of these don't really make sense with the pre-existing weaponry in SARP that fills the same role and that it might be nessecary to shift certain entries to hit those tiers with a different type of weapon. In addition to comparatively arbitrarily high tiers for certain entries, it creates a bit of a head scratcher in certain situations; I've never heard of a 20mm GPMG or a 15mm LMG, and 75mm seems quite high for frame-based rifle depending on desired magazine capacity.

Just a thought, but it may be better to divorce these from a specific caliber for each tier and instead assign caliber by weapon which could help eliminate the aforementioned issues, since you can just go "I want the assault rifle to be X tier and fire a bullet that is Ymm by Zmm"

Last edited:
some of these don't really make sense with the pre-existing weaponry in SARP that fills the same role
If there was I wouldn't have done it. We don't use stuff made by Origin or the NDC for Yugumo ships and PA if we can help it. Also we already have precedent for this with the Plasma Projection System.
as an unfamiliar reader might assume "Oh LMG means the kind of belt-fed machine gun that I run around with and deploy on a bipod" and assume that it's meant to be used by a single soldier.
There's a column on the table for that too ;)

I've never heard of a 20mm GPMG or a 15mm LMG, and 75mm seems quite high for frame-based rifle depending on desired magazine capacity.

Using current calibers for SARP damage tiers is silly. A 50bmg is probably only tier 2. They’re also EM guns not chemical shells.

Last edited:
If there was I wouldn't have done it. We don't use stuff made by Origin or the NDC for Yugumo ships and PA if we can help it.
What I was talking about there was more that certain examples have arbitrarily higher tiers than pre-existing examples of a weapon filling the same role (For example, electromagnetically launched power-armor squad support weapon). However, I do get that this is trying to do pretty high caliber rounds for a lot of the different examples.

Looking carefully at the data table, I can see some hint at what 'balances' (in terms of the tradeoffs made in weapon design to accomplish design goals) these higher caliber weapons, that being with the very low firing rates for weapons as they get larger. However, it's kind of hidden in there and it's easy to overlook that aspect of these weapons. It seems like it would be easy for a player to accidentally treat these weapons identically to any other family of weapons.

A lot of this article really depends on a player reading this very carefully, and I think that a few additions making more explicit that which is kind of squirrelled away would help it a lot. I want to state again that I really like this article and the idea behind it, I just think that there are a few ways to elevate it. (For example, adding a caliber for tier 3 in the section with all of the other example calibers)

It’s a LOT of information.

Making it all fit was a challenge.

What I was talking about there was more that certain examples have arbitrarily higher tiers than pre-existing examples of a weapon filling the same role (For example, electromagnetically launched power-armor squad support weapon). However, I do get that this is trying to do pretty high caliber rounds for a lot of the different examples.
The Power Armor Squad Support Weapon is only tier 4-5-6 at various sizes though? And then there's the HMG, which is Tier 7, maybe should be considered crew-served for power armor too, but there are Tier 7 PA weapons.

In that particular example, I was looking at something like the Origin Squad Support Gauss Rifle due to the name of the Taiho "Armor Support Rifle". It's easy to accidentally gloss over some of the data you've packed in there, which is why it's so easy to misread these weapons or get the wrong idea about them like I did.

Yeah. Squad Support: Light Machine Gun. Support Rifle: Large Caliber Sniper Rifle.

These are really just Yugumo's "Marketing Names" for the stuff, based on general military stuff.

Remember Kai thinks in Military jargon too.

@Alex Hart @Wes I changed some of the language used to describe the various weapons systems, making sure nothing was ambiguous and names for things lined up more with stuff elsewhere. Tweaked range on an item. Introduced a tier 2 semi auto rifle. Also I changed the sizes of the ammo a lot. I downsized most things and made sure there were larger breaks between tier groups. Also added descriptions of the form factors below. And I made the Tier 7 HMG crew-served for power armor. I'm thinking the energy requirement is greater than a PA can contribute while reserving enough for operations.

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back