• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Interest Check Tales of the Pit - Errant mutants and general bad company!

Primitive Polygon

🎖️ Game Master
In the shadow of the Claw Nebula to the Kikyo Sector's spinward north, there is a planet known only as The Pit... The air is breathable but the weather dense, and worst of all, there are intense electromagnetic spikes and gravitational eddies, that can twist any encroaching starship to pieces. Nobody sane would make a settlement there, but pirates, criminals and lost souls are sometimes forced down, running from Yamatai or Nepleslian authorities.

The surface is littered with hundreds of such shuttle wrecks, the former vessels of freaks and aberrant creatures from all across the cosmos. It might just be possible to create an escape route from such parts- But that doesn't mean other isolated and desperate survivors are just going to let them walk in and take it!

~~~~~

The general concept of this is short-form plot is to accept almost any kind of player character, with minimal preparation. You could consider it a "day in the lives" of those random Rixxikor or other aliens that the Star Army generally deals with weeding out, but you could also enter with a humanoid character that wouldn't normally fit in with SARP military standards.

Wanna join, but it's already started? Cool, you're just another random buckaroo who crashed down there.

If they actually get off the planet?... Well, we'll see where if goes from there.

The main previsions I'm gonna keep as a GM are randomly rolling for aliens/situations/loot the party encounters, and having particularly nasty locals/wildlife spawn if things are getting a bit dodgy in player interaction terms. As long as somebody doesn't bring power armour or a tank, it's fine... Even then it might be negotiable.

But yeah, maximum character acceptability. I'm all ears if people have other ideas or general input.

Hi Polygon! I really like this concept! It's interesting!

Reasonably so, Lane wouldn't be able to be thrown in the mix. But I have a supporting character from his sheet, Richard Albury, who's a Santō-Hei. Could he join the mission? Or... whatever this is?

Mhmmm sounds fun but who do i bring in, I mean this would be a 4th character ???
Well, there is Damaske a dark purple jaguar that is also my avatar.
My rejected character Venja Somtaaw that i can rework the whole thing if allowed.
Or i can just make a new character.

@demibear : Now you're just making me think of Legix's character Ronin, though a space samurai without a master would work equally well. :D

@Prismalamb : Certainly sounds like Richard has some run-ins with the law in Ruskin's backstory. Being a member of the Star Army might put them at odds with some of the other player characters, but hey, that sounds like the plot for a good episode of star trek, right?... We could probably make it work!

@Damaske : Having Damaske be an alien, mutant, or genetic experiment could certainly work. I don't know much about Somtaaw, but the same could certainly be true; It all kind of depends on the personality and history of the character! Do you think they would have some reason to be on the run from the law? Or end up on a nasty planet like this by accident?

@Primitive Polygon Richard has certainly had his share of government problems lol. But he's a good soldier and really took to his job like a fish in water (I have more secrets about him but that's to be revealed.)

I would be honored if he could join and bring some unnecessary drama to an already dramatic situation!

Just for clarification, though: your character Lilith was on a YSS starship. Is there any alluding to that starship crashing into the planet as well, or is that vessel still in open space, battling the wacky atmosphere?

Bloodyscarlet's character is Lilith. I'm going to add a similarly stranded character called Zuruzala, but I'm letting them get settled in first.

What happens with the YSS Nocturne is kind of up for debate. Their sensors would not be able to detect what happened to Lilith, that's kind of the entire point.

So far what has happened here is the only real cannon, I guess. It could go either way.

Bloodyscarlet's character is Lilith. I'm going to add a similarly stranded character called Zuruzala, but I'm letting them get settled in first.

What happens with the YSS Nocturne is kind of up for debate. Their sensors would not be able to detect what happened to Lilith, that's kind of the entire point.

So far what has happened here is the only real cannon, I guess. It could go either way.
Oh my bad, Polygon! Thanks for clarifying! I'll wait a bit before jumping in to see what kind of setting and context others provide!

I was thinking that the character i picked would have crashed onto the planet already and we have them join in that way or will crash onto the planet like your intro.

It works out fine either way. Probably simpler if they are already there, but deciding whether they are there because they are on the run, or purely by accident, is probably a good idea.

How's this going? Did you get started on it, Polygon?

It started as a JP with one person, and then kinda burnt out unfortunately.

Can't really do much if people aren't interested in posting in the thread.

If you still want to do it, maybe we can drum up some new interest and try again. The concept is super cool. @BloodyScarlet is still active I think. Not sure about Prisma and Damaske.

I am around, it would have to be someone else other than Lilith this time, but if PP is still up to GMing I will happily bring someone in.

Could have a second run at it, but it feels like it would need a bit of a twist at this point- The Sood Zadra plot kinda covers all the same bases, and Bloodyscarlet/Damaske are involved in that already.

Haven't seen Prisma in a while, though.

I know this doesn't really fix anything, but I do have basically an activist, that could be the twist, instead of just "a day in the lives" it could be people that are down and out, the ones who haven't joined their militaries and that, coming to the pit, to kinda be the law of the lawless, dealing with disputes and hunting down people that have overstayed their welcome to the pit.

Eh, the conceit of "the pit" was that it was really hard to escape.

But a new plot could be started along those lines, for sure. Maybe there is a pre-existing planet we could develop upon.

It started as a JP with one person, and then kinda burnt out unfortunately.

Can't really do much if people aren't interested in posting in the thread.
It largely burnt out since I was waiting on your response. But it can always restart long after that.

Sadly it seems Prisma was likely put off with all the "Thad/Mia drama" that occurred on the Resurgence. They were very active and excited about something I was doing for them before that.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back