• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

[TC] - Ge-E1-1a Tenba-Class

Doshii Jun said:
Isn't this getting a little too close to Star Trek design for comfort's sake?

Confirmed, it looks way too much like a Danube-Class Runabout, or a few other designs of shuttle. I think it needs some changes in design for sure for the sake of avoiding some awkward looks and questions.

I kind of thought the nacelles looked too much like a Galaxy-class myself. But MAN I didn't realize two other people thought the same as me on this.

Don't really see why the appearance or possible inspiration is such an issue.

I'll review this tomorrow. (2/2/2012)

We're SARP. We strive to be original. Yes, we draw inspirations from all over the place, but there's a difference between inspiration and something that borders on infringing on potential copyrights, or at the least feels a bit like plagiarizing.

I'm not saying that's happening here, but many times, it's about perception in these issues. Nash has produced things before that were different enough from Star Trek designs that it wasn't a big deal, but this one just feels too close.

Folks,

The Tenba model is actually a modified version of the
Hikiuma Shuttle. Look at the side views

The body was made longer more than double. I wanted to make it not quite starship size which in SARP is 30 meters, the Tenba is 25. I more than doubled the height, and width.

The Engine nacelles were doubled and rotated ninety degrees so that the plasma drives in them are aligned along the center of gravity and so that they would provide better turning since the further out from the CG the more effective they are.

Bottom line look at the other views, and it is plain to see that the Tenba does not look like the Danube.

Speaking as someone who has never watched Star Trek? It looks like Star Trek. Regardless of the changes you've made, based on nothing more than appearance, it looks like Star Trek. Whether or not that holds up the approval isn't up to someone like me, but regardless of how you justify it, it definitely looks like it's coming very close to copying ST to me.

I know my opinion holds no objective weight, but I figured I'd say something anyway. It also makes me think of Star Trek a lot. Engine nacelles in separate compartments joined by thin pieces specifically like that automatically make me think Star Trek.

Maybe if you fused them more to the main body of the ship/made the attaching parts bigger/made them a different shape people would be alright with it.

Ultimately I don't really see it being a big deal in a way because SARP ship shapes are inevitably bound to overlap with the shapes of ships from other settings. Still, it gives me the Star Trek vibe, especially after I read other people mentioning it and I imagine you don't want people feeling that. I apologize for echoing the others. I just figured I'd say something because I saw no suggestions on how to fix the problem people have.

It looks a lot like a startrek shuttle to me, too, but I think it would be relatively easy to fix that (although I don't know much about 3D modeling, mind you). You could probably just split the back of it into two halves with the nacelles connected by something going in between them and it would work.

Nashoba said:
Folks,

The Tenba model is actually a modified version of the
Hikiuma Shuttle. Look at the side views

The body was made longer more than double. I wanted to make it not quite starship size which in SARP is 30 meters, the Tenba is 25. I more than doubled the height, and width.

The Engine nacelles were doubled and rotated ninety degrees so that the plasma drives in them are aligned along the center of gravity and so that they would provide better turning since the further out from the CG the more effective they are.

Bottom line look at the other views, and it is plain to see that the Tenba does not look like the Danube.

I saw the other views, and I saw the Hikiuma.

The Hikiuma gave me the same vibe when I saw it, but at the time I thought it looked just different enough to pass — it was flatter, the windows up front weren't similar enough and it generally carried a different appearance.

I don't think this one has a dissimilar enough appearance. I'm not a tech mod, and I'm not bringing up any technical concerns. I'm just saying it looks too much like Star Trek if we want to be safe.

We're not on the legal hook — Wes is. It's up to him.

Well, Wes has been aware of the Tenba during its entire development. He likes it, so I don't think he's concerned.

I agree it looks like a Trek-style Runabout or shuttle, but I don't think it's a problem. The design makes sense. But if we do want to change it, I would say move the wings up so they're level with with top of the craft and have the engine pods mounted to the bottom of the wings. That would be enough, right?

FM APPROVED

I agree. That would be enough — the inspiration would be clear, but it would put a bit of an original spin.

Did as you suggested Wes, have only put one of the new images up. It works, its not as structurally sound as having the engine mount on the side, but I can put up with it.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back