• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Terminology of Star Army Positions

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
So I was looking at writing more details about Hanako's planned future job as commander of Star Army personnel and I realized that the position has historically, on the wiki at least, only been referred to as the head (lowercase h) of Star Army personnel. So I looked up the IRL equivalents from reference in US Army and US Navy and it's the Deputy Chief of Staff G-1 Personnel of The United States Army and the Chief of Naval Personnel (who leads a bureau) So I was first thinking that Chief of Star Army Personnel would be the title. I found one old RP post where I refer to Minori as chief of personnel. Interestingly SAINT's RP predecessor, PNUgen, has a Chief of Intel.

The other prominent Star Army Organization (Division) heads such as Director of Star Army Intelligence and Director of Logistics use the title Director, not Chief. So for the sake of consistency it should probably be Director of Star Army Personnel. In the RP, Hanako has been referred to (by me) as Acting Deputy Director of Star Army Personnel Command. In theory titles for leaders should match their organizations...e.g. an administrator leads an administration, a commander has a command, a director has a directorate but this isn't that clear cut in real life. The Star Army doesn't call its stuff directorates.

With he above in mind it might be a good time, before I make pages for these leadership positions, to stop and decide what terms we like better. Mainly I see this as a choice between Chief and Director but other terms could be used or just Commander.

Last edited:
Its a fair point you state in here Wes, really it is. It actually makes more sense to have a structure based on what is actually present and represent that to a greater organogram to reflect the Star Army better. Now I have a bit of a background in HR, so my suggestion in terminlogy is based on that and basic on the dutch army as well.

Star Army Personnel
  • Director of Personnel
    • Director of Policy
    • Director of Military Education
    • Director of Facility
  • Deputy Director Personnel
    • Director of Command Personnel
      • Deputy of Command Personnel
      • Deputy of SAINT Personnel
      • Deputy of Military Police Personnel
    • Director of Operations Personnel
      • Deputy of Operations Personnel
      • Deputy of Logsitic Personnel
    • Director of Rikugun Personnel
    • Director of Engineering Personnel
      • Deputy of SARA Personnel
      • Deputy of KFY Personnel
Now you can use any sub divisions below it, but this is something I would vision for personnel. I left out the Star Army as it is weird to name the organization in the title.

I actually like "director" as a title. I believe it shows how the Star Army's existence bleeds past being a purely military entity, into something that encompasses the Empire. Personnel is in charge of how much of the Empire's population, right? That's how huge the SAoY is.

Mainly I see this as a choice between Chief and Director but other terms could be used or just Commander.
Director is the current default (SAINT, Logistics, SARA) and organizational "role," but I don't necessarily think it should be a hard rule. We've also got the Provost Marshal for the MPs, for example, even though they're still slotted as the director of SAMP in the infobox. Flavorful variation is always fun and adds character to the setting beyond what full uniformity brings. So if you really want it to be "Chief" because it sounds better to you in RP for the position, make it that.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back