• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Life Events Thank you

Andrew

SARPiverse Culture Dreamer
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
FM of Tsenlan
🌸 FM of Yamatai
Submissions Reviewer
🎖️ Game Master
I just wanted to say, "Thank you." to the Star Army Community.

As most of you know, my life changed forever three years ago when I was diagnosed with AML Leukemia. Two relapses and a stem cell transplant later, cancer may be gone but the aftermath of GVHD (Graft vs. Host Disease) and other complications from the intensity of chemotherapy still remains. About a month before I returned to SARP from medical leave, I had a mini-stroke, for several days I was faced with an uncertain reality that I might not be able to write anymore. It meant further complications on top of an already compromised immune system and more uncertainty. When I first returned, I questioned how long I'd be able to be here, not just because of the conditions of my health but because of other things as well.

Living with it, as they put it causes a lot of emotional issues; depression, anxiety, even some paranoia. I can't go out and hang out with friends, well none of us can right now - but I have to be twice as careful as everyone else because COVID would literally end me with my immune system the way it is. Anyway....I don't want to make this TL;DR. What I wanted to say is that SARP helps, having a purpose, tasks I can do, things I can build, imagine and participate in give me relief from what is a far from normal life. I've met a lot of good people on this site, sure we might stand apart on some opinions or issues, fight over silly things like damage systems and process. Somedays I'm a monster, the pain gets to me; the world gets to me. You are good company on the worst of days.

Anyway ...this place is worth it. You all make it that way. So ...Thank you.

Star Army and you are not too much different, having survived adversity and challenges, and growing stronger because of it through those shared bonds. Enduring and flourishing, harnessing the creativity of the human spirit for the betterment of all. In these tough times, it is truly a light in the darkness. 🌟

You're my best friend Andrew and I love that SARP gives us something to do together as buddies. I've said this lots of times but you're a great guy who's smart and creative and enjoy spending time working on the site with you. You're also a badass for being faced with seemingly impossible medical situations and hanging on and pushing through.

Honestly, the fact that this community I run can bring comfort to people and help build friendships is very humbling and satisfying and it's one of the reasons I'm so invested in keeping it going even after 20 years. We're in a nice space with Star Army right now. We could always use more people but the people we have now are mostly a pretty good, low-drama group and it's been a pleasure to see everyone doing their thing. There's always work to do and ways to support each other better but Star Army is continually working on improving those things and you've been a big part of that too. So thank you right back.

I want to join this conversation in thanking you @Andrew, you have done quite a bit for me :D you were one of the people that gave me a warm welcome back after my long medical leave. I enjoy working with you on various projects, stories, and ideas! So I am glad you are with us, that you have found your place with SARP and enjoy your time here. Up to many great adventures!

Had my one-year and six-month post-transplant appointment today. It is amazing how primitive our medicine is in some areas; a bone marrow biopsy (this was my 8th one since diagnosis) is still performed as an outpatient procedure, with very basic tools and almost no pain prevention (It is almost impossible to help someone cope with the tool they puncture your pelvis with. Even the morphine they give really only numbs the surface). Anyway, now for three weeks of waiting for results. Crossing fingers, toes, and anything else I can. They need some serious SARP level tech in medicine, cause some procedures are just barbaric!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back