• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP The Brothers Istavan Pt. 2

Jack Pine

RP Date
YE40 3 months ago from S6 departure
RP Location
The jeep rumbled as the U5's tires bit sand. The settlement drew closer in the distance. Rorik sat in the enclosed back with the rest of the troops, looking to each for a thumbs up on gear checks.

"Hopefully this is a cakewalk. What do you think trooper? Think it will just be a couple guys and a jeep Thatch?", Rorik asked as he turned to his younger brother across from him on the opposite bench.

Combat...the times where he had to actually do the fighting aspect of him being a soldier came in. It was just something that had him uneasy. He wasn't fond of this part of the job.

"huh?" Thatch questioned as he was snapped out of his thoughts, looking to his brother. "Oh...it should be easy...simple."

A weak smile was on his face and he gave a small thumbs up for his gear being good.

"These guys usually don't have anything other then rusty antiques for weapons. No match for our armor, hell our rifles can penetrate tank armor.", He said with chuckle, "Just don't forget to wear your helmet. We'll be done in five minutes, and back with enough time for R&R."

"Right right. Helmet...tank piercing armor..." Thatch replied, a bit rambly but quickly shutting himself up.

R&R...that sounded nice. In all honesty, he'd rather be wandering around the base than out here. Course, he picked up his helmet from his lap and just put it on quickly. Trying to find some way to calm down.

Rorik patted him on the shoulder as the sound of two jets flew overhead, followed shortly by the distant sound of bombs going off. There was a lack of gunfire following which further reassured Rorik. "Take a deep breath. We'll be done in like ten minutes."

"Ten minutes...right....easy.." Thatch replied, forgoting to take that deep breathe for a moment but he eventually did.

Course, when the ship finally did land. Thatch was tempted to just try and stay behind, of course he couldn't do that. He was a soldier. A soldier had to go out into combat; even if they didn't want to.

The jeep pulled to a halt, and troopers began to hop out the back of the vehicle as the ramp fell with a thud. Rorik and Thatch would be last, "Alright everyone, spread out and keep aware of your team mates."

Leaving the jeep, Thatch allowed his gaze to wander a bit. However, he gave a nod as he understood what his orders were. With his weapon in hand, he started off.

"Any idea on just what we're looking out for? Besides the lower weapon class and such..." Thatch questioned.

Rorik would be close, but just ahead of the younger man, "So far that's all we know is here, so stay cautious."

Several shacks had been blasted out, now only black craters lined with scraps of metal that dotted the small settlement. It would be clear there was no one living here anymore, as the bandits had likely driven them out.

A few of said bandits would come out from out from building corners, and lean out of Windows as they sprayed the arriving troops with bullets from crude salvaged guns.

Even though this place was abandoned, it made Thatch even more uneasy. Old memories of their home and the damage caused was just...something that he couldn't never erase from his mind. The sound of the older gunfire caught his attention, as did the sound of the crude bullet's bouncing off of the power armor. Looking toward them, he was...hesitatnt. Was he suppose to fire back on them?

"So...what are we doing here? Just..clearing out the bandits or something?" Thatch asked, raising a arm to try and protect the visor part of his helmet.

"Search and eliminate. If they don't surrender put em down. They will not hesitate to fight back if cornered, and a bladed weapon is more dangerous then their bullets. Don't get close unless you have to.", Rorik replied as he raised his rifle and fired, sending exploding rods of death down range.

The last of thorse words made Thatch freeze up. Just kill em? If they didn't surrender? The exploding rods going off made him jerk slightly. Though he didn't dare say anything. Considering how Rorik had changed, he figured that they wouldn't get what was just..a bit off about this. Though Thatch knew it was best to keep quiet. So he focused his attention on trying to keep an eye out.

Eventually leaning against a building that might have some of these people within it. With his rifle raised, he kicked the door open.

"Surrender peacefully and everything will be fine." Thatch called into the house.

""Fuck you USO dog!", a voice called back before the rattle of guns answered as well in emphasis. Sparks would fly as his shields flashed, protecting him before a armored hand yanked Thatch back and another tosses a small black canister in.

"Wait for the others before breaching.", Rorik calmly said pulling him aside as a detonation went off in the building.

Thatch staggered to regain his balance though he managed it. Still, he looked toward Rorik and the building as a boom went off. Causing dust and smoke to pour out the door that he had just kicked down. A blink left him as he just watched, not sure on what to think with this.

Still, he ended up following along. Not really throwing anything into the buildings nor going to the doors anymore. If Rorik ended up running out of their canisters, Thatch would just give them ones he had on him. Not having the heart to throw any in. Instead he just watched, looking around to see if he could find anyone who was in need of help or was more..innocent.

Rorik would peak in to see all bandits dead, before moving on to the next building. He waited until Thatch and another trooper joined him, he and Thatch taking one side of the door, while the trooper took the other.

Rorik knocked on the door this time, "Lay down your weapons and you will be treated humanely, continue to resist and you will be seen as enemies. You have one chance, think it through, don't be fools."

A series of clicks could be heard, but no bullets.

"Think he jammed, or wasn't counting?", the trooper asked when he and Rorik looked at each other.

"Considering everything...who knows..." Thatch replied, his voice not holding much enthuaism or emotion really.

It sound dull and dry. He merely stood there, giving a glance to the door and waiting. In all honesty, they might just end up getting blown up.

"Besides, hard to really surrender when you've been watching your buddies get blow up..." Thatch added dryly.

Rorik shrugged, "This is war thatch. We don't always get the luxury of being nice, or compassionate."

He slowly cracked the door open and leaned in slowly, "everything unjam okay in there? Surrender is still an option you know."

He ducked back out as a empty rifle was thrown at the door, throwing it open with a smack.

"Was that a no?", the trooper asked.

Watching Rorik duck away and the empty rifle tossed out, he raised a brow. Part of him curious. It was certainly a mixed message. One could interupt this action in multiple ways. Without really giving a response, he moved past the other tropper and Rorik, entering the doorway slightly as he peaked in.

"You can come in peacefully, you won't suffer any inhumane treatment if word of that has been spread around between you all. I understand, having your comrades well...dead before your eyes is plenty enough fuel for you to not surrender. Hell, they could've been more than that to you. But think about it, would they all want you all to end up like them? You surely have friends and family who will miss you. And even if the horrible case is that you don't have those, I'm sure none of them would want you to die here." Thatch said as he stood there.

"Says the puppet of bitche's empire. You killed the king and took the city. I'd rather die free then under queen bitch and the new robot overlord!", the man in a ragged coat said before throwing a glass at him.

"So you do the same to the villages out here?! Killing families and burning homes. I'm not saying the USO is right, but what you're doing is worse. Now surrender and you may get to see that truth.", Rorik called in.

"When did the King do anything to help the people outside their city? Never!!" Thatch yelled. "I was born on this planet and all I've gotten was sorrow. The King never helped his people outside the city, my home was ransacked by people like you, my parents and siblings murdered!!"

Thatch ignored the glass slamming against his armor and took several more steps in.

"I only joined USO's ranks to protect what little family I have left. From people who are doing things like you are! But just because I lost my family and home to bandits and scum that you are acting as, doesn't make me heartless." Thatch added.

"You're only feeding the thing you hate. Where do you think the other victims who survive "your freedom" go? They join up like us. At least we're trying to make things better.", Rorik added.

The man picked up a tankard behind him patting the top behind him before holding the metal mug before him. "I don't seem to have a choice do I?", The bandit said picking up a bottle of drink before stepping forward offering the tankard.

"A drink then, as a sign of peace."

"You do have a choice." Thatch said, watching the man.

Though he figured that there was no point in making the stranger agitated with their presence. Removing their helmet, it felt nice to have it off. He gave a kind smile to the man. Part of him honestly hoped that the stranger would be alright, if surrendering wasn't going to throw them off the edge of their own mind. Though he was hesitatnt to accept the tankard, they hadn't drank from it in front of them. But that didn't mean it was bad. He had nothing in his equipment that could just scan it and guess the contents as well...he needed a sample of the contents of the tankard.

Finally the younger man accepted the tankard. Looking down at it uncertainly. But he gave a nod.

"For peace...hopefully sooner rather than later." Thatch admited as he uncorked it.

As thatch would look into the tankard he would see a very old style grenade within it. The bandit less then a foot away smile just before it detonated. Thatch's shields would absorb the fragments, but not from the heat as the blast turned the tankard inside out as it threw him back. The bandit however was not in any way lucky, the blast killing him violently.

An idiot, that was all he was. When the gernade went off there was only one direction for him to be thrown. Backwards and of course there was only a chance that it would be slamming into Rorik or if Rorik reacted fast enough to avoid damage, then Thatch would just be thrust out of the house. Either way, he'd land painfully onto the ground. His vision would burr as he struggled to stay awake.

Rorik was shielded from the blast by his armor and Thatch, moving to catch him as he flew back. Rorik dropped his rifle as he caught the young man, toppling over with him. The trooper checked to see the bandit dead as Rorik rolled over to slide Thatch off him. The blast had scorched his chest plate and suit. His face was burned and cut in place, and it obvious by leaking sealant gel that it had burned through his suit in a couple places.

"Medic! I need a medical evac immediately on my location! We got a man down!......Please, no, not him.", Rorik shouted into his radio before pleading quietly, holding Thatch.

Thatch could feel the heat of his burns still digging into him, he shook from pain as he laid there. Though his vision did let him see his brother but their words were hard to hear. As his ears were ringing from the extreme sound of the gernade going off.

"Guess...i'm a lowsy solider..." Thatch muttered, trying to stay awake.

Though he ended up going unconcious before the evac got there. However, he would survive the blast. Just be banged up for a good while.

The rest of the troops would finish the operation after the medical shuttle landed, and Rorik rode back with Thatch as his armor was removed and his wounds were treated.

Rorik was fearful until the doctor told him Thatch would be fine, but need to recover. It would take a week in recovery for Thatch to heal, but he may have a scar, or two.

Thatch honestly had a hard time waking up. Not due to complications or anything of that nature, he just felt tired. Drained in all honesty. Course that didn't mean much when the painkillers weren't really helping him. His face had been bandaged though his eyes were left uncovered. Those were working just fine.

Rorik waited by Thatch's bed back at base, "Hey, how you feeling?", he asked.

He had changed down to just his undersuit, a pair of cargo pants, and a pair of boots. Sitting in a bed side chair, he had waited patiently.

"Tired...in pain, guess natural for getting myselff blown up.." Thatch replied, attempting to sit up partially.

Though a pained grunt left him as he managed to sit up all the way.

"Your alive, and that's what matters. You had me scared when it happened.", Rorik said before being quiet for a long moment, "The doctor said you'll recover fully in a week with rest, but..you'll have a couple scars."

"Scars aren't really that much of a fuss, mental and physical ones.." Thatch said as he sat there. "At least...I guess I've just been getting used to em.."

"I never wanted this life for you. Never wanted to put you through all of this. But you've seen the kind of people we're fighting.", The man said wincing at the mention of emotional, and mental scars.

"Right..." Thatch commented, not looking up at them. "I guess...I just...i guess i'm a lousy solider..."

"No, you just need more experience. It was my fault, I should have known he would do that.", Rorik admitted.

He gave his younger brother a pat on the shoulder. "Do you need anything?", he asked.

Thatch glanced up but only for a moment. Shaking his head lightly.

"No I..I don't think so.." Thatch answered. "thanks though."

"Im taking the week off.", Rorik added after a moment.

"I'm not going to leave you behind to go running around in the field.", he explained a bit.

"You might as well, I mean...I'm gonna be held up in here for a week. Not much to do." Thatch said. "And besides, the troops need ya."

"No they don't. The war has been at a quiet stand still for half a year now. I'm not needed for side ops like what we did today.", He explained, "So unless Psychopomp decides to rear its head, I deserve a little of that peace I've fought for. And in what better way then to spend it with who I fought to give it to."

Thatch gave a weak smile, though he leaned back and slid down to be laying on his back once again.

"Not sure on what we'll do...I'll probably be cooped up in here for the whole week.." Thatch commented.

Considering how Rorik hadn't even reacted to him when he arrived once before, was it making it hard to beleive them? Sure they pulled a one eighty and turned around. Caring about him. Though...some part of it just didn't feel fully right. But it was what he wanted.

"We'll find something. Hey, maybe we can just be lazy for once and just watch movies.", Rorik said cracking a grin, "Not something we've had the luxury to do before."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back