• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

The Limits of Techology

Oh, of course I understand that tech is part of the RP and several aspects of tech tie directly into RPing. We have several fine mechanics and tech-savvy characters in this universe.

I suppose what I mean is that technology has the ability to be abused to a point where it can force certain types of roleplay... if that makes any sense.

Now, technical superiority is fine and dandy being exerted... I suppose I just don't like seeing players get upset over it (Although tech could be used as a justifiable GM "ref" tool so to speak, just not abused.)

In my opinion, player vs. player is the only good roleplay experience, because it's the only one where you'd independently roleplay.

I suppose what I mean is that technology has the ability to be abused to a point where it can force certain types of roleplay

You mean like GMs force certain types of roleplay? I'm getting off topic.

I agree with Zack, tech is usually not felt in RP (and he's been around long enough to know, kids). You'd likely only feel it when going player vs. player.

Wes, are you sure a LASR should be 4? That means it can penetrate Fighter shields - which might be a little exsessive.

Wes, he's bringing this up because when I designed the LASR, I didn't imagine it damaging shields -- it's essentially an armor rifle that works against armor, not energy or distortion shields. Though the transfer of kinetic energy I suppose would damage distortion shields.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back