• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

The Queen’s English

Zack

Inactive Member
Style Guide Question:

Do we have a ruling about using the queen’s English on the wiki? IE: do we want to ask people to use color instead of colour?

Just my thoughts, but does it really matter too much? Obviously im bringing this up with bias since i use colour and s not z in many words so it’s annoying for me to type in murican *soz guys*

At the same time I think everyone knows what it means despite spelling, *so pls have mercy on us English and aussies*

I honestly do not think it matters much either, despite a letter or two here and there the words are practically mirror images.

I don’t think it matters much either. If we were doing professional work then we would need to standardize. As an RP site, I don’t see the harm in it.

But I didn’t see anything about it in the style guide, and 100% we should have the answer there.

The simply answer is that no it doesn't matter, Queens English, American English, either one works just fine. Yes, it works fine even in professional works (I have, quite frankly, seen a lot of professional works that use the Queens English) so this isn't an issue.

The point is that mixing the Queen’s English and ‘murrcan English isn’t professional.

But we don’t need to hold ourselves to that standard. I’ll find an appropriate place to put that there are no requirements for which English to use in the style guide as soon as I get a chance.

I suppose it's a decent question but it's somewhat unfeasible to ask. Given the site's playerbase is majority Americans the standard would have to be American English. However we have a sizeable population of Europeans, Aussies and Asians that would then need to proof read everything they wrote for the supposed and somewhat useless cause of standardisation. It'd be way more of a hassle than it's worth imho, plus people can read both anyways - it's English at the end of the day.

Finna speak afrikaan Enlish y e e t my adovahumble brethren, yo.

But in all seriousness. I've seen people using varied, to augment their character's accents and dialects as well. But I agree the wiki should clarify somewhat :D

To be honest, I've never seen anyone complain about the use of American or Queen's English, I have seen people complain about the usage of 'ghetto' English or shorthand, although it hasn't been that big of an issue thankfully.

As it stands, we should *not* restrict people from using the Queen's English since we do have European members, but the recommended language should be American English. That's my say on the matter, thus Zack if you do make the change, make it to where American English is recommended, but that the Queen's Language is permitted.

Oof @that, personally I'll be continuing to use my native tongue since honestly I have no idea where things are different between the two - I never studied the American variation since I can communicate fine in my mother variation.

If a mod takes issue I'll leave it to them to correct given there's probably a lot of difference between the simple color and colour. Trash and garbage, cell phone and mobile phone, apartments and flats, vacation and holidays, should and shall, learned and learnt etc. etc. etc.

The issue came up when a certain Canadian insisted on having headers in British English to the detriment of wiki style. Can't find it right now, but yeah. I think the ruling was that headers (especially top rank headers) should be in Standard American English so that key terms can be correctly found. Generally makes sense that article text has been recently converted to SAE, too, because text also appears in search results.

It's just a style thing. Example: users should be able to search for "armor," which is one of our most widely-used terms, and not miss out on a bunch of articles because they didn't also search for "armour."

Ahhh yes, I do agree with you on that Raz in regards to the headers.

There might be able way around this, there are addon's for wiki's where if you put in certain words... say.. 'colour' or 'armour' it'll also include the other side of the spelling: 'color' and 'armor', so perhaps we should look into that at some point so that our European members won't be forced to use a spelling that they are not accustomed to. Although I don't think that needs to be an addon, since on both of my wikis (one media, the other doku) I have it set up that way without an addon but I don't recall *how* I did it anymore :<

RPG-D RPGfix
Back