• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: 188604 The soil is different here

R

Readlliea

Tacticus's left front leg struggled to straighten out quickly, the damaged limb finally straightened in a minute or so. Giving a shake of his head, golden optics were directed to the desert like surroundings around him. Sand. So much sand. Slowly lowing himself down onto the ground; he looked to be laying down on his stomach. Reaching his only metal hand into the dirt, he scooped up a handful of the substance, and looked it over. It certainly wasn't fertile soil. Letting the substance slip through his metal fingers and blew gently away with a small breeze. The sun was high in the sky, it's heat beating down onto the planet. The civilians gave a few odd looks to him; they weren't used to technology.

"Certainly...not suitable for a farm.." Tacticus muttered to himself as he glanced about.

Rising up once more, his damaged leg shook slightly. Seventeen years. Seventeen years of laying in that container and rotting away. If the Taurtron had animal ears to go with his taur body, he would've had em lowered; but of course, he lacked those. This was the first day of Tacticus being fully operational since being woken up yesterday. The sad part in the robot's mind though, was what his purpose was now. This wasn't a farming community and for some reason, his second owner didn't seem to really want him. Now he was kind of without a owner as well as lacking a purpose. So what could he do about it?

Yinsar Kine, whistling quietly and tunelessly to himself, strolled through town. He kept his eyes lowered and away from any of the locals nearby, preferring to keep to himself. As he walked, he fiddled with a small, strangely shaped device, constantly adjusting dials, pressing buttons, and flipping a switch back and forth. The device created muted scratching and clicking noises as it was manipulated by Yinsar's deft fingers.

He grumbled to himself somewhat at the incessant gusts of hot sand battering a his tattered brown "cloak," a ragged piece of cloth he found earlier by the street. Yin struggled to keep the small device sheltered near his chest, hoping that none of the sand would get inside of it and displease the machine. With a sigh, he squints and peers about the area, taking in the surroundings.

With some amount of surprise and pleasure, he caught sight of some sort of robot shambling by. Yinsar blinked a few times, collecting his thoughts, and then stuck the small device into one of his pockets underneath the cloak, making his way towards the machine. He approached it slowly and carefully. It was not impossible for the wandering droid to be a malfunctioning combat unit.

"H-hey. You there... Do you need help?"

Jack walked up next to Tacticus, "I know it's not the best soil for farming, but with some fertilizer, makeshift irrigation system, and the proper plants it can work."

"If that's what you want to do of course.", He said as he looked over Tacticus's damaged parts.

"I'll have to do some repairs on you first though."

Surprised at the voice, Tacticus glanced from side to side. Truthfully he didn't expect to be talked to by someone else. His bushy tail twitched and lowered slightly as he stood there. Jack's voice was slightly reassuring; as they were the first one to met him. Though golden optics glanced to Yinsar.

"H..hi." Tacticus greeted, a small wave leaving his one hand. "I..I'm alright.."

Sort of alright in all honesty, falling apart and all. Though Tacticus glanced back at Jack.

"The ground is too loose." Tacticus commented. "Sand isn't suitable for growing many things like vegetables, there's nothing to hold the plant stable as well as help provide nutrients."

Jack did as Tacticus had done, and picked up a small hand full of sand.

"Well there's always hydroponics, we would just need to add a couple more items to that list.", He gave as he just poured the soil from his hand back to the ground.

Yinsar blinked at the sudden appearance from Jack, and went silent. His eyes evaluated the automaton's body condition, noting the broken limb and other various issues. He frowned a bit, and stared at Jack. "Uh... Err... Do you... know how to repair it?"

He sighed and scratched the back of his neck, turning to face the robot.

"You seem to be in a rather... less-than-optimal state. Are you satisfied with Jack here? Or would you perhaps like additional assistance?"

He clung to his scrubby cloak as a sudden gust of wind blew past.

"True..." Tacticus started, though he went quiet as the 'other' voice spoke up again.

Looking over to Yinsar, the robot was a bit...surprised at their question. Even a eyebrow was raised in his surprise, that wasn't a question he was expecting to have. The Taurtron shifted uncertainly on his paws. Jack really hadn't...had a chance to fix him, their first meeting was more of Tacticus trying to get used to moving again. To his understanding, he had been offline for seventeen years and the robot had merely worked on getting his limbs to function normally yesterday. Sure Jack no doubt ran some diagnosis on him but the Taurtron wasn't really used to the man yet. The option of a choice hadn't really been given to him before and without a owner, the robot had little ideas on what to do himself let alone what others should do with him.

"Eh..." Tacticus responded to Yinsar. "I've only been online since....yesterday, so....not much of a chance too test that."

Yinsar smiled at the automaton.

"You have as much time as you wish to decide. My name is Yinsar Kine. Some people call me 'the Mouse.' I'll give you my contact information in case you need assistance with anything. I like to think I'm good with machines, both fixing and designing." Shortly after, he gave his contact info to the strange robot.

He pulled his ragged cloth tighter again.

"Oh, and I don't really know much about farming, but... uh... I'm certain Uso has a use for you. People need food, of course."

"No offense, but your not nearly as advanced as our mecha and i know how to maintain and repair those. It's only a matter of materials, which there are plenty of scrap parts from said mecha that I could use to repair you and they would definitely be sturdier than what your your missing pieces were made of.", Jack gave looking again at the various damages to the the farming bot.

"I'm Tacticus." The robot replied. "Decide?"

Tacticus wasn't sure what to do. Being fixed would be nice though, why did he get the feeling that these two...hm what was the word? Slight competition? Tilting his head, he clearly looked confused.

"Decide what? I've never decided something before." He added.

"Yinsar, I would be happy to have your assistance in his repairs, if you haven't noticed there's a lot of work needs to be done to repair Tact and to sets of hands are better than one.", Jack said as he looked towards the cloaked man who seemed as if he didn't want to either be recognized, or just didn't want anybody's attention.

Yinsar grumbled nothing in particular to himself for a few seconds.

"Of course. I would be happy to repair... to repair... Tacticus? Yes. Would you like augmentations, or just repairs, Tacticus?"

He looked about the area, wary of strangers.

"What's augmentations?" Tacticus asked, tilting his head.

He knew farming and a few simple common sense things. Many words weren't programed in his head. After all, he was made for labor and the company who made him had limited resources. So they took some short cuts when it came to the brains of the Taurtrons.

"Two hands would be nice..." Tacticus muttered, looking at his broken stump of a right arm.

The stump moved up and down, surprising Tacticus of its ability to function still. Though he allowed it to ho back to being limp.

Yinsar shrugged.

"Well, the first thing I'd recommend is to upgrade your memory and cognitive functions. You'd be able to think more clearly, and faster. Naturally, we'd repair your arms and probably some of the peripheral stuff that's damaged while it's being done. " He tilted his head slightly. As he spoke about machinery, his usual hesitant pauses and stutters vanished entirely, replaced by cool, calm confidence.

"Hmmmn. Yes, and once your cognitive functions have been upgraded, you'd be able to better recognize what upgrades you really want. And we could go from there... I suppose."

"I see no problem with that, It's your body though Tact, we'll work on what you're comfortable with.", Jack said as he looked Yinsar over oddly reminded of himself in past.

ON> 188604

Uso brought Tacitus to see the freespacer known as Truffleclub...

... this is not that story... mainly because we lost the JP...

This is what happened afterward...

---

"COME ON OUT! SHOW US WHAT YOU GOT!" Uso shouted. Tacitus had been repaired... but rather than coming to see it herself, Uso had setup a small stage complete with curtains cobbled together from the spare bits laying around in Truffleclub's keep. She had insisted that they make a production of things, and was eager to see what the Taur-robot looked like now that those broken parts had been swapped out for something a bit more working.

"I PROMISE I WON'T JUDGE TOO HARSHLY!"

"Why do I feel like this is a bad idea? Why a stage?" Tacticus questioned, a tuff of his hiar sticking out from where he was hiding.

Why a stage? He'd seen these things before and usually things on a stage were well..important. he wasn't important. Fiddling with his fingers a few moments, he gave a nervous sigh. His arm and leg had been repaired with the mot ease. His fur/skin though was a bit harder to patch up as well it wasn't metal or a piece of machinary. Oddly enough they had found a article of clothing that was in better shape than his old shirt. So that was currently on as well, though he glanced down at the new hand; well arm.

"fine fine...just, promise not to do that." Tacticus replied with a sigh.

A nervous step was the first thing to do an the rest followed with more ease than he had in a long while. His skin/fur was rather clean looking now, still the same red and white with harvest gold, the shirt though well it looked more like a coat than a shirt. It had a old look to it, nothing like the styles that were in current circulation but had more of a military look. A mostly red article of clothing with white in the front. In truth, it looked like a very old military uniform piece.

"H...happy?" he stammered.

"Very!" Uso replied, taking a moment to drink in Tacticus' new look.

"You clean up nicely... and I see you got a thing for the old finery. Did you find that coat somewhere or did you have Truffleclub fabricate it?

... You know, we could use a bit of that old military look for dress uniforms if you have any intrest in putting that particular talent to use.... Come over here and give me a spin. I wanna get a better look at the repair job!"

"Kind of both." Tacticus replied. "It was in good shape when we found it but, we both kind of worked together to make it look a little nicer. Though...maybe I should've went with a different color?"

He certainly was very red, though he still liked how the coat looked. Even if that meant there was even more red on his person. His head tilted a little bit at her request.

"Like...this?" Tacticus asked, taking a few slow steps to turn around an spin.

However he wasn't used to moving around still and the fact his front leg was undamaged now there was no way to dampen his speed. At first he didn't notice himself going a little faster that is, till a paw hung off the stage. A startled cry left him as he ended up going over the edge and landing on his back.

Uso god a decent laugh out of that,

"Yeah... close... close to that. Do we need to tinker with your movement controls? Maybe more visual sensors?"

She'd walk over to him, reaching for his arm... then pausing, "Uh... how do I help a taur get up exactly?"

Tacticus shook his head to get his world to stop spinning. It was hard to get oof his back though he managed to roll onto his side.

"I'm just not used to being able to move so quickly again. Barely got used to limping around." Tacticus said as he attempted to host himself up. "I don't know either, four legs are a pain with that."

Height difference was too. But he accepted her hand and managed to get up. Course he opted for sitting down now, his large tail twitched on the ground.

"So...what now?" Ha asked.

"Well, we need to figure out what you want to do with yourself. Just talking with us about getting repairs seems to have been a lot for you and... uh... well do you sleep? Or eat? Or recharge? ... Maybe just take a break for a bit and we can get started again tomorrow.... we also need to get you a place to stay! How do you feel about towers?" Uso asked.

"II recharge while turned off. So its kind of sleep." Tacticus replied. "Well...Jack wanted to do em and others too but with what he said at that meeting..I didn't know what to do. Even with his apology."

It was true, none of it helped.

"Never been in a tower before." Tacticus replied.

"COOL," Uso said, nodding, "Truffles, we're going to go find him a room in Nath tower...."

Some Time Later

188604 didn't really have public transport... though it did have plenty of gumdrop APCs, small wing-shaped boxes that could float or roll along. There was barely enough space in the back of one for Tacitus and Uso, but it was able to quickly make the trip from Truffleclub's brass kingdom to the glass and metal Nath tower.

Uso was first top hop out the back of the transport,

"COME ON! LETS FIND YOU A ROOM!"

Squeezing himself into the gumdrop APC was hard. It was part of the reason he struggled out of the box like mode of transport. Stretching his robotic legs, he swished a crease out of his tail before following after Uso.

"So what's in this Bath Tower?" Tacticus asked.

The glass was certainly different from the grass kingdom they left.

"Nath... though they have baths... come on.." Uso said, walking in through the front and heading right towards the back lifts. There was a statue of a horned woman that was setup in the lobby... at least for now, it looked like they were in the middle of making changes, "They have a hotel part-way up this place... I guess all the rooms ar ethe same... but you're welcome to any one of them!"

"Oh sorry, words got mixed up." Tacticus commented, a slight laugh left him st his mistake. "You sure a room here can fit me?"

He did have a odd body style for most places with his height.

"... no idea."

Uso would enter the lift and press a buttom for one of the floors about halfway up the tower. "Come on, lets find one... I mean, they are all the same so lets just take the one right next to the lift." Uso said, simply opening one of the doors and walking through. The room was typical hotel fair... a single large bed, a large TV, A sofa, table, and a bathroom area with shower and tub.... along with a view of Osman city and the nearby beach.

"So..." Uso said, "Is this enough space? Or do we need to knock out one of these walls?"

Tacticus followed along, his tail giving a twitch now and then. Course he humored her as they entered the room. For a brief moment it felt like the storage container. But as he glanced around, he took note of the room's more square appearance than rectangular. Even with the items in it, there was more space in it as well.

"Seems okay..doesn't feel like that container thankfully." He replied.

"Feel like the walls are closing in?" Uso asked, "... We can figure something else out... again, we can always break a wall down.... or a ceiling... or floor.... I mean we can really break anything we want here. We own this place."

"Its not that, it'll take some getting used to. The shape and size are fine." Tacticus replied. "Besides I spent seventeen years in a box. I'll just use this place to recharge at."

"Its not just a place to recharge at... I like to think its home... or close to it... walk around a bit. Get used to the area... if you find another room you'd like just let me know... You can always move.

When you're done, come track me down again. We'll... uh... I guess you don't eat lunch? Well there is always something going on. We can do that."

"Home?" Tacticus muttered. "Never had a reason to try and eat lunch...I'll try to find ya later."

With Uso gone, the place felt a bit empty. Sure that was due to him being the only thing in it. Still, he didn't know what to feel for it. The other rooms he checked had the same feel; except for the ones that had a crampt feel or just reminded him of the storage container in every possible way. The first room felt like the only okay option. Still...a home? He felt kind of like that when he was on that farm, with how that went...was feeling at home somewhere else a good idea? Didn't seem like it.

A couple of hours passed, finally Tacticus got tired of looking. It just wasn't that well tolerable after the first twenty rooms. It took longer for him to find Uso but he managed to do so at last.

"Hey." He greeted.

"HI!" Uso said, waving at Tacitus from her spot overlooking the ships on at the Spaceport.

Of course, spaceport was a generous name for what was setup on 188604. Really their spaceport was just a giant area that had been completely paved over to make a landing spot for ships.

"How'd you like your new room?" Uso asked.

"It's fine, I'm not really sure what to do in there. I looked at other rooms but i didn't like any of the other ones. So I guess my room will work." Tacticus replied "So what now? I know I ask that a lot but, it's the easiest way to ask about where to go next."

"That doesn't sound thrilling... how about you check out some rooms on the Queen's slave? You might feel a bit more at home with more people around? They are a bit smaller but its got some more proximity to stuff... Nath tower isn't exactly full up yet." Uso replied.

Tacticus felt uncertain, was this best? Or was it just a way to do please someone else? He honestly couldn't tell, though he found himself giving a small nod.

"Thrilling isn't really me, it's just well...I've just never done this before." Tacticus replied.

That and he was honestly a more simple person. He just didn't want the space to feel like that storage container. He spent a long time in that thing.

"Sure. Let's check out the Queen's Slave." Tacticus replied.

"You'll know it when you feel it... probably," Uso said, waving for Tacticus to follow her as she headed up the ramp into the Queen's slave. The ship itself was certainly not well kept. The main room was large and cirular, with a display table in the center. Chairs were built into the walls, and one of them had a half-dissasembled power armor belted in place. There were also gun parts strewn about from a pistol that had been rapidly dissasembled... then just left.

The rooms were similarly not well put together. Some had beds, some had people's stuff. For the most part they were smaller than the rooms in nath tower, but they were odly shaped and there always seemed to be someone around.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back