• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP The YSS Kōun's New Chief Science Officer Comes Aboard

Yuuki

Wiki-chan! Ganbatte yo!
🌟 Site Supporter
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
RP Date
YE44.2
RP Location
YSS Kōun
The freshly minted fully-sapient anthroform drone, even more freshly minted Shōi of the Star Army of Yamatai, and still yet more freshly minted Chief Science Officer of the Plumeria 2E Gunship YSS Kōun, one Takeda Sayako, began her thus far short existence as a particularly quirky custom personality module for a humble FARS SAoY. Now, she was stepping out of a Ke-T10 "Fukuro" shuttle, itself freshly minted as the Star Army of Yamatai's newest standard as well, to assume her duties. This was the second Plumeria shuttle bay she'd ever been in. The first was the YSS Eucharis, from whose ship's stores she'd been issued to her first owner as that humble FARS SAoY. Indeed, her name, Sayako, was from an attempt by her owner, who was unfamiliar with the Star Army's (to her) new name, to pronounce "SAoY" phonetically.

Sayako came to the office-side entrance of the Captain's Suite, triple checked her uniform and hair, and signaled to the computer to alert her new commanding officer that she was reporting for duty. She stood, stacked at attention, as she awaited being admitted.

Last edited:
Captains Log

Alastair sat in his plush purple chair looking over the crew reports. For the most part the crew was a mix of every race in the known universe. Though it did have a favor towards the female side of the spectrum. He had split the crew into two groups. Those who joined due to being assigned to the ship. The second group was the ones he had saved during a mission back on the YSS Kaiyō II. The reason for this was due to the fact the normal crew would not be overly affectionate. At least for the time being depending on how things played out. Though one must not mistake being too close with being unorderly. He had no doubt the crew he saved had an undying loyalty to him and only him. While he had hoped they would run a different path, it was good knowing he had those not confined by the rules of Star Army within his ranks. He knew times would come that following orders may not be in the best interest of the bigger picture.

He placed the pad onto the table when the ship announced his science officer was reporting for duty. He put his hands together and rubbed slowly, a grin forming across his face. This crew had been specially selected to play a critical rule on the ship. He needed someone who could be firm and logical around him. This was to be a counter to his kind orderly and kind nature that had served him well. The crew would need a guiding hand who was not the captain. Despite how open he would be, he knew this role came with it a certain responsibility. The crew may withhold or even hide certain behavior and information from him. It would be only natural to impress the captain at all times. The floor was to be spotless and ship in an always ready combat state.

The MEGAMI chimed once more. "Yes I heard you Hoshi." He said in a firm and slightly annoyed voice. He thought it would be cute to name his MEGAMI after his ex commander. Granted this was short lived as it started to annoy him just like the real commander had before. He stood and called for her to be let in. "Come in Takeda Sayako-Shoi. I have been looking forward to meeting my science officer."

In dress Type 35's, rather than working uniform, with the brand-new officer's hat tucked formally in the crook of her left elbow, brand-new ship's ring on her finger, brand-new Mass Production Pistol holstered instead of the NSP, and also-brand-new officer's sword at her other hip, Sayako was fully Class-A formal. It was thanks to a quick stop at the ship's store to procure the garnishes that topped her immaculate uniform, and clever routing to take her by her quarters to drop off her duffel she could look her best for reporting to her first commanding officer (as a sentient being). Optimal routing is something any Neko or Minkan with a digital brain and access to the floor plan of the ship could do, but what makes her special is she thought to do it in the first place. Everything must be perfect for...? Sayako blinked as the doors interrupted her thought. It would have been the first time it was about everything being perfect for someone other than her former owner. The doors interrupted, but there he was, completing the thought for her.

"Belmont-Shōsa, Shōi Takeda Sayako reporting for duty, sir!" Sayako clacked her heels together after taking one step forward inside, and saluted with her free hand, waiting just inside the threshold at attention.

Alastair stood to his feet and gave her a salute in return. He looked her over from head to toe. He could tell by the look of everything that it was brand new and in perfect condition. This sent chills down his spine being in front of this level of perfection. This had exceeded his expectations greatly. He knew this was going to be good but this was one another level. To enhance the entrance even more, god rays were coming through the doorway around her. "Please come in, take a seat. Let us cover some of the formal details of your assignment."

He motioned with his hand for her to take a seat. He once more looked her over, like a wolf eyeing a helpless sheep. Granted this perfect specimen was anything but helpless, in fact this might just be the most dangerous being on the entire ship. His smile curled knowing this was only getting started. He slowly took a seat and picked up the pad he had been reviewing. After flicking across the screen a few times, he paused and slide the tablet over to Sayako. "So, first let us cover an important topic. How shall I address you when we are not in a formal setting. For example you are welcome to call me Alastair if you so desire."

Sayako sat at attention, the officer's cap still in the perfect 90-degree crook of her elbow, and the sword across her knees. Rigid, unmoving, unblinking. Subsapient Consorts were designed to fit in among humans, to make it difficult to detect their actual nature in casual interactions, and thus progammed to simulate breathing, blinking, eyes flicking to focus on other things, even fidgeting: in short, all the telltale signs of a living being. Apparently, Sayako had disregarded that programming since attaining personhood. It's as if Sayako were a mannequin or doll until she deliberately moved, inhaling only before speaking to pass air over her synthetic larynx, only blinking in response to some external stimulus like the doors suddenly opening in front of her face.

"Captain, I am not sure than I can imagine a setting informal enough to address you by your given name. You may address me as your prerogative of rank allows."

As the words rolled off her lips, it was as if a thousand instruments orchestra was playing. Her firm and logical response of there never being in an informal moment with him was pure ecstasy. He had his concerns that one of these consorts might just be another body on his ship. A breathing person he'd have to keep a watchful eye on. Though with Sayako he did not get that sense at all. She was human in the sense but her motions were highly calculated. She did not breath unless required, blink unless fitting. This was without a doubt the most happy he had been in ages.

"I am glad to hear you understand the importance of your mission while onboard. Then we shall keep it formal unless a time comes for this to change. I shall do the same in kind and address you as Takeda or Takeda-Shoi. I hope this is to your liking." He paused for a moment before he continued. "So I read the report given to me by command. I also like to ask directly persons who serve on my ship a little about themselves. Do you have anything you'd like for me to know?"

"I was originally Star Army Property, a FARS-SAOY issued to a medic with the old fifth expeditionary fleet. My custom personality module and memory matrix was later uploaded into the body you see here, and due to the expanded processing capabilities available, shortly thereafter I surpassed the Merkur Threshold and was declared sapient and emancipated. After that, I joined the Star Army." Sayako paused, bowing her head slightly in apology, "I am sorry, Captain. My existence so far has been quite short. That is, in a very literal sense, my entire life story."

Alastair listened closely to her story. He could not help but have his one eye twitch as she called herself Star Army property. He had a love hate relationship between following the laws and ways of Star Army yet still being able to have a moral sense. While slavery was outlawed, he only felt that Yamatai had only found new ways of keeping people locked up in cages of their own design. From the outside it might look like paradise however once your in the bubble, it was a one way street.

"There is no need to apologize. We all have a beginning, some longer or shorter than others. The good news is that you are in safe hands. I shall ensure you walk a proper path so you can serve me and Star Army very well." A smile cross his face once more. He could not help but be excited he had something pure he could mold into something amazing.

Sayako tilted her head slightly as she watched his facial expression change momentarily, finally blinking herself for the first time since she sat down- every change in his body temperature registered clearly in her thermographic sense. She'd been merely one of the disc-shaped assistant drones at first of course, albeit one with a particularly interesting personality module, but just a FARS nonetheless. It didn't have that sort of weight to Sayako: to her it simply was. She opened her mouth, taking a small breath in to prepare herself to reply, then waited another moment.

"Thank you for your guidance, Captain. I have already interfaced with MEGAMI and am currently calibrating the Kōun's sensors as we speak." Of course, Sayako didn't appear to be doing anything but sitting there.

"Already taking lead, I could not ask more of you. I am sure MEGAMI Hoshi can fill you in on all the details." He said as he leaned back into his plush purple chair. He was doing his best to keep his excitement in check knowing the features of Sayako. It would be difficult to hide anything from her keen senses. Normally this would be most concerning to him since he always aims control the room. However, her being able to detect even the slightest of changes could come in very handy for certain situations.

"I have read the reports but I am still curious to learn first hand how sharp your sensors are. Could you give me an example?"

Her eyes flicking over him, head to foot and back, Sayako pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes in thought a bit before answering. At least there was some humanity in her change of expression, though that little bit may have actually contributed further to her general miasma of uncanniness. She held out her left palm in a "stop" gesture, then brought it up to her face to point with her first and middle finger in a "V" shape to a spot beneath either eye, to the sides of her nose. "My thermal sensors are here. Six of them in a rectangular pattern, sloping down and away from my eyes. They function much like the pit organs of a viper. With them I can see the change in body temperature of different areas of your body, as well as the flow of hemosynth through your vessels and through that discern your pulse rate and core temperature, as well as dissolved oxygen levels in your hemosynth. I was, of course, originally issued to a medic, and have elected to retain compatibility with FARS accessories." She nods, pauses, then continues, "In my left palm are radiation, biological, and chemical detectors, with which I can analyze the chemical makeup of your exhaled breath, perspiration, and any other bodily fluids available for gas samples, and detect and analyze free skin, hair, and other cells shaken from your body."

Sayako smiled, for the first time in the meeting, ever so slightly, "With my visual sensors counting your respiration rate and measuring the dilation of your pupils," another pause, "I would have to say you are enthusiastically pleased with the prospect of my having joined your crew."

Alastair once more rubbed his hands together as she spoke. While he knew her specifications, hearing it directly from her made it ten times better. The ability to read the room on her level would be an amazing thing to have. He pushed himself away from the desk and walked around towards her. He approached and reach his left hand towards her. He grabbed her hand into his. "Simply amazing all the features they managed to get into this one body. You are very right that I am enthusiastic to have you as part of my crew." He paused and looked down to see see he was holding her hand. As if a knee jerk reaction he released and placed both his hands behind his back. "I see us working closely together on missions. Though, do mind the jealous Neko on board. They may see us being close as something more than being professional. They are hard working though sometimes let those emotions get the better of them."

Sayako did not particularly respond in any way to her sensor-hand being held in such a manner, for inspection or otherwise, except for the slightest tilt of her head. The hint of a smile was gone before Alastair had even stood from his chair, replaced once more with her doll-like masque that would be unnervingly effective at the poker table. "No, the sensors are FARS accessories I have had integrated into my body as a customization. The base model does not include many of these features. And with regards to that other topic." She brought her hand to her mouth as if miming clearing her throat, and narrowed her eyes once more.

"CAPTAIN!" Sayako stood suddenly, pointing accusingly at her commanding officer and looking down the volumetric spectacles she'd just as suddenly started projecting onto her nose at him. Her other hand was sternly on one hip. "It is not within regulation for so may personnel to be aboard a Plumeria gunship on a long-term basis who are not Star Army of Yamatai personnel!" Sayako withdrew her pointing finger and used it to push the virtual glasses back up the bridge of her nose, smiling wryly. "According to S.A. Regulation 39-45.34, section seven, paragraph two, civilian personnel, other than dependents of officers or crew, who are not SSS Tanken Riezon, contractors of the Star Army, Ketsurui Samurai, or diplomatic envoys may not be permanently housed aboard an active Star Army vessel!"

Last edited:
Alastair took a step back given the sudden reaction coming from Sayako. His eyes widened as she recited perfectly the S.A. regulation. This book was his bible and knew it inside and out. He was one who followed the rules perfectly. At least unless they conflicted with his moral code, in those cases he followed flawlessly the new path he forged. He took a step forward, standing almost a foot taller than her. "It is not often someone would quote a regulation in my presence." He paused and took a step back knowing it was not like she would be intimidated by him. "Under normal circumstances this regulation would apply, however being on a mission of diplomacy one must be flexible to carry persons for humanitarian reasons." He placed his hands behind his back once more. Proud that she would stand toe to toe with him. None so far on the ship dare do such a thing, knowing he would bury them with his refined knowledge on all things rules. "You have peaked my interest, any other infractions you care to share? Hmm?"

Sayako came crisply to attention when the much taller Alastair stepped forward. She didn't look up, keeping her gaze firmly forward, and, when he stepped back, she continued on as if it had never happened– evidence it was an automatic response her emancipation hadn't eliminated. "Tch," Sayako made an indignant noise, face twitching just a bit. Almost immediately after, she smugly turned her nose up, until the lights made her bangs cast a deep, dark shadow over her forehead and eye-sockets, yet her glasses were at just the right angle to render them opaque mirrors of white light. Sayako's grin returned, widening, until not just smug, but sickly so. "Bel~Mont~Shō~Sa~ S.A. Regulation 84-21.3 clearly states the authority of a captain to keep humanitarian passengers aboard cannot exceed one standard Yamatai year without special dispensation from higher command or the Yamatai Department of Immigration, else they must be remanded to the custody of a Star Army Refugee Facility. Fufufu~"

Alastair was becoming more impressed by the minute as Sayako continued to push forward. The two had locked gaze, like two animals gaging one another. He could tell she was gearing for a win here. He even picked up on the way she spoke back to him, putting a certain flare to his title and name. "You are perfectly right. I shall inform those onboard as soon as we reach our destination for them to disembark off the ship. I feel it will do them some good to get fresh air. Plus we can have them mingle with the locals." He walked towards her and gave her a few pats on the head. "Already giving such good advice, job well done." He felt giving her this would go a long way to show it is not always about the win, but the path one takes to reach the finish line.

"TCH!" Sayako made the noise even louder, involuntarily flexing her fingers. "You~ you can't just put them ashore and bring them back aboard and say the period was reset! B~" A necklace of light pulsed around Sayako's neck, what used to be the light bar of a FARS acting as a choker or collar. The pulsing grew more intense as she analyzed every law, rule, and regulation for some reason Alastair indeed couldn't do it. The head-pats make her light sputter out as it interrupts her analysis. "Captain!" She struggled for the words, "It- it's highly... irregular."

A big grin formed across his face as she called him out. He was curious if she would given that the specific rule did not spell out for how long they would need to be off the ship to reset the timer. Granted the following section did cover this so she could quickly counter. Though he did not expect his head pat to be as effective as it was. The disruption showed through her light bar collar interested him greatly. "Aye, it is highly irregular for another to go toe to toe with me and the rules." He stopped giving her head pats. "I can assume that you will keep perfect time and let me know when we are nearing the end of the year correct? I know I won't forget today, the day I met Sayako." A sly smile crossed his face.

"Three standard Yamataian days. Not a microsecond less." Of course, she was too late to bring that weapon to the fight. "I still do not understand why you wouldn't have them enlisted- they can even download the training into their digital mind aboard. I do not think that such an irregular situation is tenable due to the amount of possible emergent scenarios with suboptimal consequences!" For her part, Sayako doesn't seem to respond to the physical contact being broken, or even acknowledge it had happened.

Alastair looked at her, then turned and took a few steps away. He walked over to the plaque hanging on the wall. It was given to him when he took command of the YSS Koun. He ran a finger across the top of it. He then looked at his finger to inspect it for dust. "They are free to enlist if they so choose too. In fact many of them did enlist despite me wishing them not too." He turned and took a step back towards her. "They are here of their own free will and willing to risk it all in service of me. There is no amount of training that can gain that level of commitment." He looked Sayako over once more. "How about you, believe you can reach that same level of commitment?" His express relaxed and he allowed a smile to return once more.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back