• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP The YSS Kōun's New Chief Science Officer Comes Aboard

"Commitment without training is a liability, Belmont-Shōsa." She said it without the giddy inflection this time, her tone emotionlessly even. "And serving you is not the same as serving Yamatai, even if you yourself do." Sayako squared her shoulders and turned her nose up again. "I am willing to risk it all in service of Yamatai, Belmont-Shōsa. And I don't have to take time out for sleeping or meals. As long as I am aboard a Yamataian vessel, I don't even need to take time to recharge. It would be difficult to match the level of commitment of someone who has no mortal needs, whatever that commitment is to."

He knew all too well the logic she spoke of. There was no doubt either what she said was without argument. Yet Alastair still allowed it to take place for he knew there was a need for it. Within the rules was grey area and one might become blind too it unless they are exposed too it. There was no playbook for life and this ensured he would keep himself grounded at all times. In this very moment, Sayako also showed how she would execute her role perfectly. While having a crew dedicated to him was important, having one grounded in the rules of Yam was equally important. He knew the crew may do things outside the rules and Sayako could keep this in check.

"Spoken like a fresh recruit out of basic. I'd expect nothing less and I am impressed with your dedication. Though do try and not over do it. While you may not require it, enjoy a good meal. Your battery may not need recharged, but take a break. Lastly, enjoy the comfort of bed, either alone or with another." He walked around and took a seat at his desk. "I see good things coming from you Sayako-Shoi. I am glad I can be your commanding officer and ensure you are given the respect you so deserve."

"A good meal..." Sayako pondered, "I do have all of Motoyoshi-Chūsa's recipes in my memory, and am able to replicate them." She straightened up, "I generally only ingest food to taste it for preparation, but once I have mastered it that is no longer required. However if you assign insist, Captain, I will eat food. It does not seem to be necessary to assign multiple personnel to a single bunk, however."

"Very good, this should assist with you becoming more intertwined with the crew. A meal with the team is a good way of getting to know your fellow crew." He leaned forward putting his elbows onto his desk. "Will have to fix me a meal sometime, I am most curious to learn of Motoyoshi's tastes." He allowed for a long pause to fill the room before he continued. "Moving onto other matters, I seen that your programming has a most naughty side of it. May I ask how you see this playing a role on my ship?"

Inclining her head about 35 degrees to one side, and blinking thrice in quick succession accompanied by pulses of various-colored light around her neck-light, it seems Sayako did not understand. "After exceeding the Merkur Threshold and being declared fully sapient, I have deactivated almost all of the original KAIMON Ascendant Consort protocols and routines. However, I can assure Belmont-Shōsa that my programming was to follow all rules, laws, regulations, guidelines, and orders to the letter while interpreting the spirit. There is nothing in a Consort's factory default programming that could be considered deviation from authority in the slightest, let alone 'naughty.'" Her collar light turned a pale pink, fluttered, and went out, "And Belmont-Shōsa is already familiar with Motoyoshi-Chūi's cuisine from Takeda House Compound Belmont. The menus are her creations and dishes derived from her style by the individual chefs de cuisine."

Alastair let out a big sigh of relief. He had held back as long as he could before going into these details. He was concerned this would be the one thing that would spoil Sayako and her perfect self. Then her words finally set in fully. Wait a minute, deactivated the default, almost all of. His mind went blank as this fact registered. After a moment he reached up and tugged at his neck collar. This was to be expected since she was fully sapient and like all creatures, this was only natural. Though he knew things would not get out of hand knowing she would follow all the rules.

He continued on and did not dig deeper into this topic, he instead went back on the path of food. "Of course, was one of my favorite places to eat in fact. I was just meaning it will be nice to have some of that home cooked meal experience once more. I look forward to giving one of your meals a try." He paused for a moment and the smile returned once more. "In fact, I am off duty after this meeting and you do not start till tomorrow, how about we have a meal. Can invite some of your fellow crew to join us."

"I have your order history in my memory already, Shōsa. The Douryo who work at that location have already uploaded their experiential history with Belmont-Shōsa to my memory matrices. And, other than the shuttle operators and the Emma working at the Ship's Store sales counter, I have not spoken to any of the crew. If I am to prepare a meal, please specify the number of attendees."

"Ah very good, then let us invite Kamiko Akino so you can meet your XO and also Seki Hana Mina who will be a science officer under you." Alastair was glowing at the idea of having a diner date with his trusted crew. It was not often he had reason to have such an event so was excited to jump at the chance to mingle.

"For four then? Yes, Captain. Orders acknowledged. I have sent invites to Akino-Chūi and Seki-Heishō's calendars and sent a requisition to supply. Also, sensor calibration is 72.35% completed, with nominal efficiency gain of 14.6% so far, with more expected." Her collar-light flashed as she communicated wirelessly to accomplish her tasks. "Do you require anything else, Captain?"

The level of execution was just so good. Making dinner plans, calibrating the ships sensors and covering supply order. He was happy he made the decision to fight to get Sayako onto his ship. While she could have been stationed anywhere, he fought hard to ensure his ship would be where she called home.

"Very good, I look forward to the final update on the sensor preformation. I picture there are many other areas on the ship that will benefit from your input. Though do try and pace yourself while working with the crew. They pride themselves on how they perform and having an outsider say its wrong may upset them." He walked over and one more put his hand onto her head. "Not everyone can be as perfect as you have been designed."

The collar of light flashed a pale, bluish, violet at the contact. "Belmont-Shōsa, I have no particular interface on the top of my head, only the same somatosensory inputs that cover the rest of my skin. In fact, they are less sensitive due to the volume of synthetic hair atop my head." Sayako tilted her head once more. "And if they are performing their duties to specification and regulation then I would have no reason to say they were wrong."

Alastair chuckled at her comment about there not being an interface on her head. "Then, do you have a preferred location to receive my kind gesture?" As the words rolled off his tongue, Alastair knew this had come out wrong. At least the idea was good but how the android might take it could be something else entirely. He could not help but blush a little, something that was rare to see. Interesting that it took an android to throw him off his game. Compared to the Neko, he always knew what to do at all times with them. On the other hand this was also refreshing in that he had to keep his wording sharp around his new crewmember.

"Captain, I do not believe that any location is better than any other, which is to say, I do not see how this could be an effectual method of behavior reinforcement. However, as your leadership experience with organic lifeforms may have proven otherwise, I should point out that, since I lack the oxytocin receptors of a biologically-evolved social animal, I had programming to simulate it during interactions with organics and synthetic-organics. I deactivated these subroutines shortly after gaining sentience, as they did not seem to be the best use of my computing resources. Even if I reactivated them, they are not guaranteed to completely and accurately simulate natural human and human-derived species responses, only approximate them." That poker-faced, tilted-head countenance was impenetrable, unreadable. Sayako simply blinked twice, both with her eyes and light-collar, and shifted the degree of head-tilt to the same angle on the other side of her vertical axis, a tell she had finished and was awaiting input.

Alastair paused his head pats and looked at Sayako with a confused look on his face. "Oh my goodness I have much knowledge to share with you if this is the case." He placed his hands behind his back and started to go into detail. "See, while it may seem like a waste of resources it can in fact be a very effective means of communication." He reached over and tapped on his monitor. A moment later Kamiko Akino entered the room and she stood at attention as he approached her. "I still need a moment with Sayako but I wanted to take a second and give my thanks for your dedication and service." He reached over and gave Kamiko a few head pats. While she stood at complete attention, her tail however gave away the joy she was feeling. "You may go, I shall call you when we finish." She gave a solute and quickly removed herself from his room. He had no doubt she'd share the praise with all her other sisters on the ship. Something he'd pay for at a later date.

"So did you see how that played out? While I could have went to great lengths to explain to her, I instead showed using a simple touch. Though make no mistake, I have been meaning to thank her so there was complete truth behind this." He walked back over towards Sayako. "I will not tell you to turn back on those subroutines as it is not may place to do so. However I will suggest to consider taking a look into the benefit of having them on. You may just learn a simple touch can take the place of many words hence saving on having to explain in detail." He smiled and gave her the famous Belmont gaze.

Sayako observed the interaction between Alastair and Kamiko, then sat quietly as he explained it to her. She processed for only another moment before responding. "Wireless communication is even more efficient, Captain. I have noticed synthetic-organics often prefer to use vocalizations and body language despite having wireless communications that are more efficient, less ambiguous, and more secure, just as we have been speaking aloud." She tilted her head the other way once more.

Her facial expression did not change under the Belmont Gaze, but there was a slight pink-lavender flutter in her neck-ring, but only for a split-second.

"You are indeed a fast learner. However, while wireless is great, it must be used at the right times." He said taking a few steps in front of her. "Not everyone can use wireless so is no different than speaking a foreign language in front of someone. Though some can be used, it would be rude to have a full on conversation and not include the other party." He reached over once more and gave her a head pat. "There is much you can learn from a manual but somethings require to be experienced. Otherwise they only remain a simulation. So take your time being around the crew and observe how they act. Though do try and not pick up the bad habit of sneaking into my quarters." He paused and reached up to rub his chin. "I love my crew like none other but sometimes they reach a little far. Though it is not that I can blame them, I did save them from slavery so it can not be helped." He once more placed his hands behind his back. During his chat he noticed the different colors of the collar, a most interesting feature he was excited to learn more about. "Do you have anything else? Otherwise you are dismissed to do as you please."

While she didn't shy away from the repeated head-pats, Sayako didn't exactly acknowledge they were happening, either. She seemed as indifferent as a strange cat at a comfortable distance paying most of its attention to something else. Practically inanimate. The collar light went blue, then blinked out into invisibility once more. "It is inefficient for personnel to lack this capability given the broad accessibility of available solutions." Sayako stood, and bowed once more. "I have nothing further, Belmont-Shōsa, except to assure you that I would not develop such a habit under any circumstances. I will take my leave, then."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back