• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Art The ZARC-T39 'ZARCNAM'

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ZARC-T39 'ZARCNAM'
A currently in-progress update to one of Star Army's older and more popular mercenary/independent weapons. The model/artwork itself is done, being based along the original linework. A few modifications make it standout from the original, however, such as an integrated underbarrel plasma flamethrower/gun and magazine feeds/slides being changed from its original AK-inspiration to an AR-15. It's a filthy union of Soviet and American weapons within the sci-fi setting... so it sure as hell gets style points.

There's hard-stocks, the ability to knock it off, a 10-shot magazine (for more carbine/rifle firing than SMG), a plasma enhancing compensator to enhance its lower barrel, a plasma storing grip-mount (allowing the gun's operator to reload it and keep the plasma cell in as a side-mounted grip), and so very much more. It's been a real joy to recreate and rebrand the legendary weapon to a higher resolution, and even then it's still not done and ready for submission to the site where it'll be at home.

You can find out more about the original weapon here - wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=… - and you can see the long-running site where it was born at stararmy.com/index.php.
at03.deviantart.net_BDibBF7e3TZ9wviRik7k4j4NEsM__300x200_filtef300794e3dfb99321ec6d70af307941f.png
View The ZARC-T39 'ZARCNAM' on DeviantArt

If it's based on something Arieg drew, it should put that in the credits. Legix, please add OOC credits to the respective wiki pages and to the article on DeviantArt.

A currently in-progress update to one of Star Army's older and more popular mercenary/independent weapons. The model/artwork itself is done, being based along the original linework. A few modifications make it standout from the original, however, such as an integrated underbarrel plasma flamethrower/gun and magazine feeds/slides being changed from its original AK-inspiration to an AR-15.

Am I the only one capable of reading and understanding this?

1. In-Progress. Perhaps not meant to be shown on SARP itself even if Legix wanted to display his work so far on DeviantArt. (or wanted to have it up to be able to link it to a private few for feedback)
2. Clearly points out it's a modification of something that was there previously.

You can find out more about the original weapon here - wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=… - and you can see the long-running site where it was born at stararmy.com/index.php.
And a rather clear indication of pointing out the original work. And nowhere in there do I see any obvious "I did this". Therefore, I would have no idea of who to credit, as there's no longer a 'History' link to click to be able to see who started/edited the article in the past.

It's good to know Arieg and Doshii worked on it before. But aside from that, as Legix's article was obviously not ready for prime time (see here), I think we're jumping the gun here.

Am I the only one capable of reading and understanding this?

1. In-Progress. Perhaps not meant to be shown on SARP itself even if Legix wanted to display his work so far on DeviantArt. (or wanted to have it up to be able to link it to a private few for feedback)
2. Clearly points out it's a modification of something that was there previously.

And a rather clear indication of pointing out the original work. And nowhere in there do I see any obvious "I did this". Therefore, I would have no idea of who to credit, as there's no longer a 'History' link to click to be able to see who started/edited the article in the past.

It's good to know Arieg and Doshii worked on it before. But aside from that, as Legix's article was obviously not ready for prime time (see here), I think we're jumping the gun here.
No, you're completely spot on. I've shown this weapon multiple times both in chat and on Discord, crediting Arieg as the original artist. Why? Because I give him credit even when I don't speak to him. I have posted multiple versions of the ZARCNAM in chat and to the Discord multiple times while working on this gun but he hasn't ever said a thing. Not only that, but I have credited him in multiple situations when discussing it and the original.

I didn't credit him on DeviantArt because I don't know his account name. It's as simple as that. The next best thing I could do was link the original gun. So I did.

It's very sickening that I've been working on it for so long now and just because I upload it to DeviantArt AS A WIP weapon that Arieg raises a stink.

@Arieg - And an FYI: It's not tweaked. My higher resolution lineart was drawn aside from yours specifically because I didn't want to trace it or just basically "tweak" your art. The stock is probably the only thing and guess what? It can be knocked off, based on art I've posted up multiple times in the chat and Discords.

ai.imgur.com_f1WnSsK.png

Legix, Smasher of Old-08/12/2017
http://i.imgur.com/98nQQsC.png The current state of a "generic stocked" ZARC.

A lot of the linework was drawn up from the original art made by Arieg (I believe =3=) in coordination with design aspects from my own gun and another I use for general references.

Ridiculous Discord name aside, this is my point. I've been working on the gun for well over two weeks. I have posted work in progress shots on and off through that in multiple locations. And the very first time I showed the WIP publically 2 weeks ago, I credited him.

So please: stop trying to make it like I'm some thief.

Edit: You know, not only that, but here's some more linework cuts when I was making it.

http://i.imgur.com/wMGHO9Y.png
http://i.imgur.com/tYrzYD7.png
http://i.imgur.com/pLp8ecI.png
http://i.imgur.com/vNdDUlv.png

These are only the ones I have uploaded. Like really, I'd appreciate it if you take note of me DELIBERATELY working to change and modify it to differentiate it from Arieg's old artwork. Precisely because it turned into a new variant/model.

Last edited:
All I'm asking for is that, when people use sources for things, the sources are credited by name in the OOC notes. This applies to everyone.

I was not contacted directly about any of this, your on ignore on here and with the movement speed of discord channels most of that gets buried..... end of the day you didn't do you due diligence when starting this project and you still do not have my permission to employ it. I suggest you gut the rear end and start drawing something from scratch. Also use something that doesn't look like an AR-15 bolt for this weapon.

I was not contacted directly about any of this, your on ignore on here and with the movement speed of discord channels most of that gets buried..... end of the day you didn't do you due diligence when starting this project and you still do not have my permission to employ it. I suggest you gut the rear end and start drawing something from scratch. Also use something that doesn't look like an AR-15 bolt for this weapon.

@Legix doesn't need your permission to employ it, @Arieg.

All I'm asking for is that, when people use sources for things, the sources are credited by name in the OOC notes. This applies to everyone.
Well, as I've said, I didn't credit him on DA because I didn't know his information. That's why I linked him. I've not even started the wiki article FOR the ZARCNAM. Frost made the wiki and I haven't touched it because he hadn't even told me it was up.

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:corp:zen:zarcnam39

I'd like to request that the original ZARC be given notes that it was based off the AK's design, because that's tantamount to how this works. I used Arieg's art as a reference, but built the linework up and worked hard to seperate it from the original design PRECISELY because I didn't want to make "just a new ZARC". I've stated it before, but to reiterate: the one on DeviantArt ISN'T the base gun. It's the ZARCNAM fitted with a stock to imitate the original handling of the ZARC.

acdn.discordapp.com_attachments_264973723231191040_350824323738763264_shortzarc.png

This is the default ZARCNAM. The stock can be completely removed.

fetch.php

This is the original art by Arieg. You'll notice MANY drastic changes and really, the only things that are similar are the receiver and its grip. Which, because of it ICly being an attempt to improve the ZARC, was made DELIBERATELY to be like it.

It's no different than the hundreds of AK variations. No one asks the original designer of weapons when they commission new artwork that has it on them. I didn't ask Arieg for permission because I didn't need it. I've gone out of my way to credit him when I publically released this and even during private showings of the WIP with @Doshii Jun, among others.

I've always intended and worked to credit the original artists and I always will. The fact this was treated so harshly has made it clear, however, that while Arieg enjoys replacing and making things obsolete on SARP, he doesn't enjoy even something that's clearly an attempt to carry on the weapon he made. I've not even included the options that were made from the ideas of MY gun (the orange plasma rifle I'd previously worked on) and I'm not going to keep pushing to highlight just how different the ZARCNAM really is from the original ZARC. The reason I'm so offended is because this isn't like it was the first time I'd shown off the weapon. But regardless of the two weeks of it being publicly shown, Arieg JUST NOW had issue with it and wants to fish as if I'm not giving credit despite there being clear proof I've done so as his gun was an original reference for creating this.

If he supplies his DeviantArt, I'll add it to the DA page. I edited on his name as a credit for now, but seriously? This is completely ridiculous that I was even forced to address this.

I am not required to get your permission to make a new version of a gun you do not own. Zen Arms is not your faction, it belongs to Soresu (who has known and approved of the art) and Gunhand (the FM of Nepleslia who oversees Zen Arms and NAM). This art is using yours as a reference, but it is not a copy of your art or even a trace. I built the lineart and its far straighter in 90% of the places because of that.

Then why the hell do you even think you have a voice on this? I was doing this because I originally wanted to make new ZARC art, but you're completely impossible to talk to. You sure as shit didn't care until it was posted on DeviantArt, despite the fact plenty of people knew about it (including @Doshii Jun) for weeks. You're literally doing this, as I figured you would, because you despise the idea that your old art would get overshadowed by a new model of the gun and the new art. This is nothing but you trying to be petty.

You can't just replace artwork for other ships and weapons, using the original gun for a reference, and then turn around and act like I can't. I made the gun different from yours and you're going to have to live with the fact I did so. You don't care about Zen, nor the setting. You're clearly threatened because your art will get overshadowed. There are plenty of people who have been wanting this because of my attempts to revive and push life into Zen. Something you refused to do unless it was as your own sub-corporation, which could let you take it over. So yeah: sorry, but no dice. I'm not going to scrap anything. I'd rather you gut the Pact and go back to promoting creativity instead of trying to stifle it because my gun is better.

Legix, the reason why this is a problem is not because of Zen or anything else. This is Arieg's artwork that was edited without permission, and that's a whole different ball game. Regardless of how difficult it is to contact Arieg, it's still your duty to do so and have a dialog with him to secure permission, because it's his artwork you are taking and using without permission otherwise. If you were simply creating new art of your own to replace Arieg's old art, there would be nothing wrong with that. However, with the overlay that he just posted, it's clear that you took his artwork, and started playing around with it.

There's no way to say this gently, but people have gotten banned over this sort of thing in the past.

Let me use the big one, just to really show the big differences since you want to only analyze the outlines. Firstly: You try to do this to make it look worse.

ai.imgur.com_5k05qB8.png

In reality, THIS is how you should do it. By gathering the DIFFERENCES.

ai.imgur.com_SN2f9Vm.png

Now, this is giving you the MOST possible credit by giving it the old gun's modifications to make it functionally similar to the original ZARC. The ZARCNAM's only similarity is the receiver, which is EXTREMELY COMMON IN FIREARMS. I have redesigned the barrel, grip patterns, the mag release, the slide, the top of the receiver, and (again) have made the stock removed in the default one. This gun, as the red showcases, easily more than unique. More than half (likely 65-70%) is different. The only things similar are what guns ALWAYS share if they use the same receiver. Magazine designs and grip designs. This is still not including the modifications that make the grip like this gun, including a different button-like trigger and a handguard design:

ai.imgur.com_dhxNqB9.png

Not to mention the other types of mods and the plasma battery grip you can see in these.

ai.imgur.com_Hrj04Ky.png

ai.imgur.com_N8VSt2v.png

It's not an edit. It referenced the original art just like a new version of a gun would. I didn't start with his gun and just trace it or make it mine. I used it to reference my own lineart. I used it to build up new line-art and continued to make it different. This isn't criminal. This is absurd.

Legix, the reason why this is a problem is not because of Zen or anything else. This is Arieg's artwork that was edited without permission, and that's a whole different ball game. Regardless of how difficult it is to contact Arieg, it's still your duty to do so and have a dialog with him to secure permission, because it's his artwork you are taking and using without permission otherwise. If you were simply creating new art of your own to replace Arieg's old art, there would be nothing wrong with that. However, with the overlay that he just posted, it's clear that you took his artwork, and started playing around with it.

There's no way to say this gently, but people have gotten banned over this sort of thing in the past.
Again: I didn't just take and tweak his artwork. This is a pathetic attempt on his part and everyone knows it. There's screenshots a plenty to showcase how I built the ZARCNAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be so sure. The image you posted, the one with the red that only highlights the differences between the two pieces of art, has only small amounts of red. From what I can see, the bulk of it looks to be the same. The fire control, the stock, the contours of the grip are absolutely identical. Even certain parts of the sights which are highlighted in red look very similar.

If I were to get completely close and examine it? The actual lines of the receiver and the grip don't line up.

You can't fit my gun EXACTLY to his lines, even with just the receiver. And that's because I didn't trace or just "tweak" his design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back