• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP [Tripathi's Tyrants] All fun and games, til you step on a cat's tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrand

Inactive Member
RP Date
Late Summer, YE 41
RP Location
Camp Newman and locales, Nepleslia Prime
Nepleslia Prime
Camp Newman
0900 Hours, local time

There are worse places to be shipped to in Nepleslia, if you were going to be shipped anywhere in Nepleslia, than Camp Newman. Oh certainly there were better places: places where the temperature wasn't always a constantly "too hot"; where local insects didn't try to eat you alive; where you didn't feel like you were swimming in the everpresent humidity. So yes, there were certainly better places than Camp Newman. But it was on the ocean, and near enough to a nearby small town - Bellenau, by name- that just a thirty minute's walk could get you there.

For the new recruits of 2nd Squad, 3rd Platoon, B Company of the 555th Battalion, it was a damn slight better than boot camp. At least, it was better for the Nepleslian contingent; the exchange cats might have different thoughts, but some things are universal no matter the color of your uniform. Like having to sleep, for the enlisted troops, in a coed bunk with minimal air conditioning through a hot and muggy night.

Or being roused at 0500 sharp by Sergeant Samet, who nice as she was, still got the squad up and ready for morning muster and PT. Thirty minutes of that, the whole of 3rd platoon led personally by the old man, before an hour for breakfast.

That left 0730 to 0830 to be used for routine maintenance of the platoon's kit, with Gunny Kang making sure that all the T's were crossed and I's were dotted. It was a rule among the Tyrants, maybe all marines: Everyone Fights. Everyone Works. No-one quits. Already, the Lieutenant and Gunny had been handing out extra hats, delegating duties not directly related to fighting. The Heavy Weapon's team had it pretty bad: one, Corporal Bridges, was tapped as the cook; another, Corporal Hyde, now wore dual hats as chief armorer and chaplain.

If the new people weren't adapted yet, they were learning the lesson. Not that they didn't have any free time to themselves, though: the thirty minutes between the end of "RM" and assembly were 30 minutes of 'free time'. It wasn't much, but today was a big day. Camp Newman buzzed with activity, from the loud cadences of marines and Rikugun, to the sound of heavy vehicles moving. No time to go into town, or do much; Sergeant Samet definitely had a trained eye on just about anyone who even looked like they were thinking of moving away from the assembly field- The L-T had wanted the platoon assembled at 0900, so Gunny had told her to have her squad, the 'newbies' of the platoon, here 15 minutes early; Samet had decided to make sure that they were there 30 minutes early.

Hence, with their free time vanished into a black hole of NCOs, 2nd Squad looked at itself, split into two separate groups: one wearing the green of Nepleslia, the other the RIKUPAT of Yamatai.

Allen was at the assembly on time, as ordered, even if he wasn't exactly standing at parade rest. The green recruit had one hand in the front pocket of his cargo pants while the other arm hung slack at his side, swaying as he idly changed his stance to look over the foreign legion that somehow became attached to his squad. His expression betrayed nothing about his appraisal of the exchange-program soldiers even as he stopped to talk to the nearest, one with remarkably un-catlike fox ears.

"You having fun yet?" He asked in a semi-conspiratorial deadpan.

The girl he addressed, one that had been born and bred for this sort of thing was feeling the effects of not having gone on deployment immediately after training. She was getting lazy, and as such, being forced to wake up this early left her hair a mess, something that she was desperately trying to fix by combing through it with her fingers as she squatted on the ground, utilizing a shadow of herself as a makeshift mirror. The results of her efforts were about as effective as one might imagine.

Glancing up towards him as he spoke, she cocked her head to the side and gave a roll of her eyes. "Ehh..." Came her groan. "Not yet... but I think I might, once I get used to... not waking up feeling like I've been thrown out of an airlock..." With a shake of her head, as if she were giving up on the state of her hair, she stood and asked "Do you think even the NCO's wake up this early?"

With the crunch of boots over the rather more undeveloped parts of the floor, a third figure approached. She matched Allen for height and wore a teasing smirk on her face, the lenses of her eyes giving a little twirl as she looked over the pair of them.

"Now what's this? Conspiring with the enemy already are we?" She teased attempting to playfully jab an elbow at her fellow marine's side, to make the ribbing as literal as it was physical. Her gaze shifted to the foxy catgirl, brows furrowing under her own untidy mop of brown hair.

"Everyone knows NCO's don't sleep, they just wait" There was a pause as she pointed accusingly at the girl, "And how come you're having a hard time with all this? Aren't you literally made for this kind of thing?"

Deja vu rode him, had been doing so for months. It hadn't been his first time through training, but the experience hadn't been made any easier because he knew what to expect. His bones were older now. So was the rest of him.

Profundity ran a hand through his hair, more aware than usual that streaks of gray were creeping into his otherwise jet black hair. Still, he had a job to do. No reason to keep everyone waiting. He approached the other newbies.

"Made for it," he agreed, joining in on the conversation as he arrived. "...but maybe not used to it?" The New Tur'listan gave the neko a studying look. He'd never seen one of the Nekovalkyrja up close; now that he had, he found himself wanting a .. closer look. For science. The entire notion of the nekos was something that warranted further study, as far as he was concerned. There had been too many gaps in what he'd been allowed to research so far. 'Later,' he chided himself.

The New Tur'listan smiled amiably and looked to the others. "Profundity," he said, introducing himself with a small lift of his head. "Medic," he continued. "If you, ah, need a little pick-me-up later, I'm sure we could figure something out."

Ramona

Ramona walked up with her twin sister slowly as she listened to everyone talk, she scanned over the group and then spoke up "Hey there, well seems that I found my buddy." She giggled a little as she moved closer to the Tur'listan, her right leg making a louder thunk onto the floor than her left "I am part of SAW, so we will be working together a lot I assume." She then turned to the others in the group "It is nice to meet you all, I am Ramona Trobella and this person here, is my twin sister Cynder."

The only real different between the girls on first glance was how they had their hair. Ramona had a neon pink streak down their fringe and had straighten and tie their hair into a pony tail, where Cynder's hair had a neon green streak down their fringe and their hair neck length in a curly state. Then if you actually looked at them it was slightly more obvious with Ramona having a cybernetic eye and from the sound of it, a robotic leg. Whereas Cynder's arm was clearly robotic. The girl who introduced the two new additions to the small group chuckles "we did try to make it a bit easier for people to tell us apart, but if you get confused, just call us mate or something, like Oi Mate come over here."

Cynder

Cynder followed her slightly older sister to the group of people, she thought to herself 'oh great more people to chat with, I just want to go to bed'. She wasn't really in the mood for this and couldn't see how her sister was this happy and enthusiastic with how the weather was here, day after day. She also groaned when she heard her sister call the medic a buddy. She stopped listening really as she looked at the Neko, it wasn't every day you got to see one in the flesh, they were suppose to be good fighters as well. When her sister elbowed her to make a proper introduction to the group, Cynder just nodded "Yea what Ramona said" she then directed her next question to the Neko "Hey kitty cat, want to spar sometime? I have heard abut your kind, but I want to experience it first hand."

Even when they were technically on 'free' time, one of the cardinal rules of theu niverse, like gravity, is that you don't leave marines fully unsupervised. Or any soldiers, really: It was a complete recipe for disaster. Even with a medic, who's age and school experience had seen him bumped up to corporal... It was just not a good idea.

So, naturally, the marines of 2nd squad weren't entirely alone- The tall, statuesque and golden brown form of Sergeant Samet was standing nearby, half in and half out of a building and engaged in conversation with whoever else was inside- but with one eye kept on the marines of her squad who had so far assembled. They still had a good half hour till assembly, and the slight smile on her face showed that she was glad at least most of her squad had gotten the word to be there ahead of time.

Allen would grunt, either in discomfort or mere acknowledgement, as the other nep elbowed him in the ribs. He spared a glance towards Sgt. Samet, and couldn't help but feel sorry for her - he imagined her as being out of her depth trying to control a bunch of marines, like a puppy charged with corralling a bunch of wild horses.
At Profundity's introduction, he gave the lorath a nod. "I might take you up on that." Waiting a beat, he continues. "Are you going to be okay? SAW have to fight too, medic or not."

Profundity

"I am part of SAW, so we will be working together a lot I assume." She then turned to the others in the group "It is nice to meet you all, I am Ramona Trobella and this person here, is my twin sister Cynder."

Profundity nodded back in response, noting the markings on the woman's clothes. Another medic - never a bad thing. After all, even medics get shot up from time to time. Her sister seemed to be a bit more of the rough-and-tumble type. Profundity suspected that attitude was the reason why Ramona had learned to patch people up, but it was just a hunch.

At Allen's question, the lorath looked over and smiled. "Don't worry about me. This isn't my first tour of duty and SAW doesn't make bad soldiers. We can hardly keep you alive if we're too busy dying in the back, yeah?" He left out the part about his last tour being nearly thirty years ago, or the reduced training he'd gone through to qualify this time. They didn't need to be worried about all that.

Sam gave a light huff as her ribbing seemed to only glance off the armor, drat she'll have to try harder next time that's for sure. Slowly her eyes flicked from one person to the other in their little ad hoc gathering. They lingered a little on the twins and their rather obvious replacements almost as if sizing them up. A second later she was all smiles again though, not a care in the world for onlooking NCO's.

"Huh, personal stock you say?" She inquired over at Profundity, "You got your own supplier or you skimming off the top? Just asking for a friend" Her tone was light and teasing, as was the throaty chuckled that followed. Somehow her eyes did just manage a serious glint, despite their obvious artificial nature.

In resonse to Sam, the girl rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest as she explained "Just because I'm made for it doesn't mean it doesn't still beat me up. Besides, I uh... I didn't get deployed right away so I'm a little rusty. Don't sweat it though, I'll still be better than your average glue-muncher." Miku reassured the rest as she tried to ignore the gazes being afforded her by the Tur'listan.

As the conversation turned away from her though, she started to size up the rest of the group, her ears flicking, and as soon as she caught sight of those NCO's watching over her, she tried to seem a bit more bright and chipper, actually offering up a somewhat forced smile and standing straighter. After all, she had to make a good impression!

Ramona

Ramona nodded at the group and kept an eyes on everyone, to see who she would have to patch up on the battlefield. She looked at body language and how they were talking as well to see if she could get a small piece of their personality to know who may need to patched up more than others. She was interested in the non-Neps as she has studied them in books but hasn't had much hand on experience, so this would be a great place for her to learn some new things.

Cynder

Cynder just listened and noticed that people where looking at her, probably to judge if they could take her on in a fight. If that was the case then she would make sure to shock them when the two sparred and she would be happy when this time came. She like her sister didn't really talk anymore as they seemed to come in a bit late and would rather just get over with this event and start their actual mission.

"Don't you boots know?" Came a raspy, yet clearly feminine voice as more and more of the platoon's shoulders began filtering in to the assembly field.

"We're the Marines- it doesn't matter if you're a cook or a mechanic, or even a chaplain like me." The voice continued as the platoon's Chaplain and Armorer, Sarah Hyde, moved to talk with the assembled boots. The woman was of relatively average height for a Nepleslian at 5'11", with olive skin and a harsh look on her angular, hawk nosed face, made worse by bushy eyebrows and round grey eyes beneath blonde hair in a high and tight. Her build is strong, emphasized in a strong, barrel shaped torso but modest bust and curvy hips.

"The doc here will see action, you can be sure of it. Same as the cat here." She nodded her head at Sam.

"Might be easier if she stops preening like she is now- we don't need housecats, we need lions and tigers." Came a second voice, male and somewhat high pitched with a familiar, yet unfamiliar accent. The origin of the voice was tall, forcing many of the other tyrants- especially the exchange cats like miku- to look up at the ruddy skinned, hazel eyed ID-SOL who had walked up with the Chaplain. Surprisingly, he was wiry for an ID-SOL, with brown hair in a high top fade, and muscular limbs that looked almost strange on his skinny torso.

"But I figure that the Yammies don't want them to be too much of a spitfire- nice to meetcha." He continued, offering his hand to shake. "You've probably met the padre, but I'm gonna be really taking care of you. Name's Rex Bridges, and I'm our cook. Reckon anything I feed ya will be better than a ration pack."

At the same time, the third person who had been walking with them, a slightly below average, yellow skinned woman who looked to have the pugnacious attitude of a pitbull, with black hair to her shoulders, stood and crossed her arms, not quite wanting to be talked to. That wasn't all, though- back at the building where Samet had been, a tall, dark skinned man in a black uniform- definitely IPG- stepped out of the building and looked over the gathering Tyrants. A short minkan woman in the black paneled dress of a SAINT officer followed him, though unlike the IPG man, she wasn't surrounded by a cloud of thick cigarette smoke. The two seemed to be discussing something, but they were just a bit too far to be heard.

Profundity shook the ID-SOL's hand, reaching up a bit to do so. The gruff part of him was ready to move beyond all the niceties of introductions and the like. He had been a doctor for too long to have completely ruined his bedside manner, however, and he knew that the squad would need to see him as someone they could approach with their problems.

Which meant playing nice.

He smiled a bit at the man. "I imagine it will be, Rex. I'm Profundity, nice to meet you as well. I must admit, my hands do seem to be more steady when I've got a good steak in my belly.." The Lorath grinned, now, clearly having a bit of fun.

Ramona

Ramona looked up at the people to came over, she smiled kindly and gave a little bow with a small chuckle "Hello there, well you will get work out of me and my sister, we are always prepared to see action, my sister mainly but I don't mind it and if needed, a quick stitch here or there normally makes you fighting fit again easily."

Cynder

Cynder looked over with a smirk on her face but then turned to her sister "Hey that is unfair, you like to fight just as much as me, actually no you were right, just point me to the fight and I'll get stuck in harder than anyone."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back