• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Tutorial for the IRC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What types of things I would like to see on a tutorial for IRC:

1) No bullying (if you've made a player feel uncomfortable in any way, stop talking)
2) No heavy-handedness (if you're the only one talking, stop talking)
3) No chastising others (if it's even close to bullying, stop talking)

I've seen all three of these things happen too often.

I certainly wouldn't like to see these rules given in a tutorial. It'd foster an environment where people could dominate the chat simply by being easy to offend and pretentious. Criticism (and the acceptance thereof) is vital to keep the quality of the chat's content high, and to keep it from drowning in egotism. Without it, there's also no way to put a stop to covert bullying of the sort that uses civility as a smokescreen, and bad behavior that's more harmful to the person engaging in it than to anyone else would be tacitly reinforced.

'Making people uncomfortable' is not the definition of bullying. For one thing, a bully has to be in a position of strength. When 'the dog bites back', that's not bullying, even if they're the only one doing any biting, and even if their goal is to hurt someone. This would be an example of retribution, motivated by revenge, which is a largely unrelated issue. The goal of bullying is to abuse or dominate others. It is aggressive; not defensive, assertive, or constructive.

(To avoid being confusing here, just because something isn't bullying doesn't mean it's good behavior. 'Bullying' can't be used to describe every kind of behavior that makes someone uncomfortable. If it is, that abuses everyone who ever makes someone uncomfortable, by implying that they have terrible motives. This means that using the word 'bullying' this way is an act that meets its own definition of 'bullying'!)

Most actions that 'make people uncomfortable' have other objectives. Sometimes the goal is to protect something, sometimes it's to change things. People are often uncomfortable when they don't get what they want, or when things change, or when reality isn't how they thought or imagined it was, but that doesn't mean it's in their or everyone else's best interests to make sure they don't feel discomfited.

Likewise, some people dislike all strife and conflict, but the world would be a miserable place if everything not peaceful was suppressed for them. Conflicts need to be resolved, and if they can't be resolved openly, they'll be resolved quietly. The best manipulators and deceivers come out on top in such an environment, and people who go unchallenged don't improve themselves much.

I can't complain about an encouragement not to go on and on about something when no one's responding, though that seems like something most people will pick up on their own. As far as I'm concerned, the goal of a tutorial should be orientation, not indoctrination. Let people know what the purpose of the chat is, and what it's goals are. There are rules, written somewhere else, but so long as everyone acts in good faith, it's more important for everyone in the chat to know their objectives, and how to accomplish them, than to have a list of things not to do.

I don't recommend 'make everyone feel good' be on this list of objectives, because I think it's much better for people to feel good because they've done high quality work, and are part of a successful project, than for it to be because no one ever makes them uncomfortable, or chastises them, even when they're working under some kind of false belief.

Last edited:
Star Army does not officially support any IRC channels anymore (for about a year now) so our IRC tutorial is no longer necessary. I should probably just remove it from the wiki.

Edit: Removed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: raz
Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back