• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

1. Authorize the wearing of decorative flowers in soldiers' hair when wearing the duty uniform (worlds most beautiful fictional military!):
That's a cute idea. Keep in mind flowers don't just stay in hair, they have to be attached somehow or braided in. The ruling below from the uniform policy should be changed up imo if flowers are authorized:
"Hair-holding devices (clips, barrettes, rubber bands, headbands etc) are authorized only if they are plain, solid colored or transparent, and inconspicuous."
  1. Authorize the replacement of the tights with socks on "Class B" duty uniforms with pleated skirts (regal blue or cadet blue?)
Cute! Cadet blue or black imo. Should height of socks be standard? Edit: nvm saw demibear's question!
  1. Phase out the Duty Uniform Type 32 - it's not really used much and seems kind of unnecessary now that the field uniform exists
Yes
  1. Phase out the Tenure Award - https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:awards:tenure
  2. Phase out the Distinguished Career Award - https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:awards:distinguished_career
  3. Phase out the Experience Award - https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:awards:experience ?
Yes to all. Would they still be worn by past receivers?
  1. Phase out the War Award in favor of new war-specific service ribbons (Kuvexian War, Second Mishhuvurthyar War, etc.)
Yes
  1. Introduce a running skirt for the Type 40 Exercise uniform
I get that it would be cute, but I have never seen a woman running in a skirt nor have I ever done so, despite loving to run. I can imagine all sorts of problems with having a running skirt. Bike shorts, albeit less sexy, are more useful as an addition.
  1. Introduce a boonie hat for the Field Uniform
Yes, the wiki should have instructions on using the loops for branches and foliage
  1. Remove the requirement to constantly wear a pistol with the duty uniform (since almost no artists draw them anyway) - belt still worn
I was thinking about this the other day as far as artists! But it really takes the military feel out of the RP. I feel like this will be a four vs five finger change, but I really do think it means that there is a less professional military feel about not wearing pistols as standard requirement.

When I hear "running skirt", I am thinking of those "skirts" female tennis players wear. I think it is cute too. Though, from a logistics point of view, it seems unneeded.

I have a concept for a female bodysuit which I would like feedback on. The panel and grey parts on the arms have what is essentially a form of advanced e-ink 'dye' in them to display patches, rank, and panel color as needed. While patches could still be sewn on, it'd be optional. There are also electronics in a layer inside the uniform intended to serve the traditional role of a Star Army Communicator.

It's based on the old Type 22 version but has a modern patch and rank format. The arms' nature makes them easy to change though.

MNU.png

MNU.png

Last edited:
I've been thinking of introducing a security branch for the Star Army again - they used to be red panels before technicians and security combined somehow. Techs used to be yellow. Currently yellow is for cooks. I'm considering making cooks part of logistics (orange) and making techs back to yellow and red would be security/tactical. Alternatively there's a pink panel for caretakers and the cooks could get that.

Possible, but I'm wondering if keeping technical sentries would be a good thing from an OOC perspective. Security alone doesn't have much to RP with outside of standing around/resisting enemy boarding/watching prisoners and visitors, especially now that infantry is its own thing. Technicians have less to do in combat aside from keeping the ship together and creative tinkering. Marrying them together looks odd from an IC perspective, but from an OOC one it seems like it keeps the characters more busy with roles that have little bleedover. The fact the technicians are the ones allowed in restricted areas anyway makes them well-suited to policing them.

Not saying no, just pointing out that having a character that's purely security could lead to bored players. Technical Sentries in red are also about as iconic as command whites in the setting.

MP's security force does include guarding, yeah.

I do think cooks should be folded into caretakers, I don't know if that was the idea you had Wes but it makes sense if caretakers are being re-introduced and etc. I also think a caretaker a la Deanna Troi that is a trained psychologist wouldn't be half bad to have, too!

Infantry would be the ones more for security. MPs are more battlefield control, ruining infantry fun, sleeping around with the post CO's daughter/son, and handling the prisoners of war.

Like that bodysuit, though (imo) the right of the legs goes way too high. Up to the knees looks better (again imo).

I'm sure we can get the job role thing figured out but I don't really want to get too much into this discussion of job roles in the uniform thread, though.

Here's a revised version of the new jacket I've been working on. The color panels on the arms were changed to not interfere with the rank colors.
Star Army Fleet Jacket Type 41.png

MP's security force does include guarding, yeah.

I do think cooks should be folded into caretakers, I don't know if that was the idea you had Wes but it makes sense if caretakers are being re-introduced and etc. I also think a caretaker a la Deanna Troi that is a trained psychologist wouldn't be half bad to have, too!

Based on my experience, a dedicated counselor to handle the psychological problems of a ship's crew would be more useful than a ship full of samurai.

I think it looks good for us but it needs to look good to artists. Giving them a uniform with components that look easy to draw means they’ll follow through with the reference without having to correct and re-reference it. Extra lines or a collar that ends at one of those lines rather than ending at a color change looks awkward to draw. A few parts of it strike me as places where artists will take liberties. I don’t think it should be oversimplified but I think what it does should make sense at even a cursory glance.

On a Hoshi-note, I can’t figure how the occupation color portion of the chest would look / be shaped on personnel with differently sized busts.

The uniform concept looks pretty great. It honestly seems less complex for artists than the Type 35 with its endless piping and unusual jacket closure, so I’m not sure I see where Ame is coming from there. I particularly like the little tech bits that have been added; very sci-fi.

I mean, it wasn’t so bad and I say that because the parts I thought needed changing are actually the parts I think are cool now that I doodled it. I was actually planning on doing a revision but I only think the cuffs could use more to create a silhouette... but I doubled back on my opinion from three hours ago so I’m hesitant to commit to another wrong opinion lol

5656B38A-40CC-4DB4-B82C-6342E17AA1B7.png

I'm glad to see these revisions being made. Noting them and the advice being given for updating the bodysuit concept as well.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back