• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

It's time for the 5-year equipment review for the Duty Uniform, Type 30C, which was introduced 5 years ago in YE 37.

To me, this uniform new seems kind of redundant and I rarely see people using it for their character art. I'm thinking of discontinuing it. Would that offend anyone terribly if we did? We have the new Type 42 Duty Uniform which is essentially the same as the 30C but with a different top.
Where would the rank pin and rank stripes go exactly? Or would they be eliminated?
The ranks on the Type 42 are basically used the same way as on the Type 35.

The 30C is for cold weather. What is replacing it, the Field Jacket?

It's more like it's for chilly indoor offices because in cold weather outdoors, the Type 32 Coat would be used over it. But that's no different in usage than the Type 35 duty uniform.

I really like the Mishuuvurthyar era ankle-length skirts that can be worn with it. If we're removing the 30C, could we allow those skirts to be worn with the Type 42? I commissioned a chibi a while back of a character wearing that skirt. There are a few pieces of Murakami Mitsuko wearing that skirt as well. As far as I'm aware, the 30C is the only uniform that allows that kind of skirt to be worn.

I rarely see people using it for their character art.
The only time I've ever used it was specifically to get newer art of it being worn. Probably okay to get rid of unless there's a specific purpose that differentiates it from the Type 35. The 30C does seem a bit more relaxed than the Type 35 (kind of like DS9 coveralls vs TNG 2 piece), so maybe it has a place as a station duty or ground duty uniform.

You folks do have two members of a species that loses heat very rapidly, and what passes for comfortably cool for us is inhospitably cold for them. I recommend the Type 30C or a powered heated varient be the standard duty uniform for metallic personnel, primarily Senti, which will become a more common sight as time goes on.

(If that's okay)

@SirSkully the Senti space suits are based on the same technologies, though run far hotter. (Generally, comfortable is 25-40°C) Would it be possible to load one tight enough to be worn under the standard uniform.

Could probably just rip the liner and heating elements out to wear that beneath a uniform? but idk how the Saoy would feel about it lol

Would anyone like to see the Type 23 Dress come back in some format? Or should we just be using the Type 42 for all our skirty needs? Should the tights get made optional at some point?

Would anyone like to see the Type 23 Dress come back in some format?
Heck yeah! I was just looking at it the other night when remembering how the SAoY used to have dress whites. The tightsless version that a few characters wore was very steamy.

Due to a pending art commission we need to decide immediately what color the boots of the Type 42 Duty Uniform should be.

As designed, the duty uniform Type 42 was going to have cadet blue tights and pants like the Type 35. However, due to the piping color strip being a light color, I decided that having regal blue pants would look better, and the result is that art of this uniform thus far, which doesn't include a lot of below the waist artworks at this time, use a dark pant color. I was thinking that instead of the traditional black boots. it might make sense, for contrast purposes, to use a light colored boot like the Type 31 working uniform did. See the illustration below for a comparison.

1634080844306.png

What color boot should we go with? The traditional shiny black or the light blue color boots?

Mennani Koramieli Yamataian Technician.pngMennani Koramieli Yamataian Technician light boots.png

What color boot should we go with? The traditional shiny black or the light blue color boots?

That's a hard question. Jet black could look good on regal blue, or it might get lost in the sauce. I think that from a visual design standpoint, light blue boots add balance to a composition with lots of color at the top and not very much at the bottom. From an in-universe standpoint, if I were the one designing the uniform I would probably choose darker boots because they're likely to get dirty. That said, I can still imagine a use for light blue boots in dress/parade situations.

Given that it's a duty uniform, I'm personally more inclined to a dark color due to the aforementioned in-universe reasons.

It looks like it's 3 to 0 so far for the dark boots (1 in Discord from @Reynolds) and I agree with you guys and the logic behind it. I also think having the dark boots looks more "serious" or realistic. Thanks for the fast responses!

Other notes: I plan to keep the dark pants on the uniform, they just look good and the old cadet blue color pants were sometimes mistaken for blue jeans, lol. The Type 31 Working Uniform and the light colored boots are getting phased out since the Type 42 is basically a newer version.

I think if contrast was needed, it would be in the pants. Light colored boots just jump out at you unless they blend in with the rest of the uniform (US Army's old and useless UC pattern with desert tan boots).

RPG-D RPGfix
Back