• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Unstable Space - What is it?

tomaszavenger

Inactive Member
I have looked on the wiki and found no references to it except on the star map and its mention by name in a few places.

Some specific questions:

- What happens if you try travel inside it?
- What unusual effects does it have.
- What is the current roleplay theory behind its existance?

Some of the things I've heard and read on here (If you dig deep into some obscure plots.) is that if you travel through unstable space, aetheric devices tend to either overload or not work at all. CFS systems may also suffer (Yamataian shields.). It plays on an unstable area of space time where energy states can be ridiculously high, low or non-existent. FTL more then likely is unstable or doesn't work. Time itself may flow differently there, forward, backward or be frozen in patches.

This is my take on it. I could be wrong though. But I just think the area would make Einstein rip that shock of white hair out of his head.

Soresu's right. Currently the YSS Miharu is in an area of unstable place. They have had to make modifications to the ship.

Yep, aether is present in the rift, just unstable and weaker, so we've been using fusion and/or batteries wherever possible. It's up to the GM how it specifically behaves, but it's always weird somehow.

I know that this is a couple of weeks late, but I gather that essentially unstable space is an area where there is an unusually high amount of radiation/EM interference, and technically could be attributed to a high density of dark energy?

As far as I know "dark matter" has never been mentioned as being involved.

Oh, no no no... I know that dark matter (or, as I said, dark energy) hasn't been mentioned, but the effects of Dark Energy may be similar. In what I've read, the constant fluctuation of Dark Energy may induce resulting pulses of electromagnetic waves which may short out equipment... But heck, even if the scientists are wrong, its all theoretical. It could be theorized into something different for roleplay purposes.

Dark Energy and Dark Matter are placeholder terms for the discrepancy between the amount of energy that we calculate should be in space and the amount of energy we measure in space.

This energy has no special properties that make it any different from normal energy and for all we know may just be a small math error in some equation somewhere.

So don't use dark energy or dark matter for anything because it isn't actually a real thing.

I was so confused when I saw this on the map, and this thread has managed to both explain away the issue and call even ore things into question, all at the same time. Still a very helpful discussion was made!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back