• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission Updating the Neko BAR for DRv3

Yuuki

Wiki-chan! Ganbatte yo!
🌟 Site Supporter
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=stararmy:weapons:nekovalkyrja_burst_automatic_rifle
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Yamatai (except Elysia)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
Reason: My character bought one from Surplus
Rationale:
  1. The BAR only had descriptive terms for damage, and not even DRv1
  2. The weapon is described as "Powerful" compared to the currently-in-service GP-12 Pulse Rifle (that it was supposed to replace).
    An attempt to fill the void the GP-12 Phased Pulse Rifle left behind. The weapon, however, is expensive to produce, and when the GP-12 was brought back into service, the BAR was relegated to rear-echelon ships. A powerful if slightly outdated weapon, it uses the frame of the Type 28A Nekovalkyrja Service Pistol.
  3. As a rifle, it should be more powerful than the pistol it is derived from, the Type 28 NSP.
    Tier 2 Damage Rating (Version 3) (Tier 3 for heavy mode)
  4. The description of the weapon describes its effectiveness against light armor (an armored car, assuming Tier 4 defense) at the burst and heavy settings.
    Damage Description: Depends on setting. Burst doesn't have armor-killing punch, but covers more ground without going to heavy. Heavy takes out an entire armored car. Automatic takes out an armored car door.
    1. Burst can be inferred to be personnel-tier as it "doesn't have armor killing punch."
    2. Burst Mode is a separate power level, not a sub-automatic rate of fire, as evidenced by there being Normal/Single, Normal/Automatic, Burst/Single, and Burst/Automatic fire modes
    3. Successive shots (automatic mode i.e. normal or burst) can cause Light to Moderate DRv3 Damage "takes out an armored car door."
    4. Heavy is lethal to a light armored vehicle "takes out an entire armored car."
      1. It is therefore at least Tier 4 and
      2. It is less than Tier 7
      3. It is probably not Tier 6, as Tier 6 weapons tend to be power-armor only, even small handheld ones such as the Sizi Type 38 Plasma Revolver firing "Heavy" rounds.
    5. Therefore the proper damage values are
      1. Stun Mode: Tier 1 (Light Anti-Personnel, Stun) equivalent to the NSP's "Heavy Stun"
      2. Normal (Single/Automatic): Tier 2 (Medium Anti-Personnel) Equivalent to GP-12
      3. Burst (Single/Automatic): Tier 3 (Heavy Anti-Personnel) "powerful" by comparison to GP-12 but lacks "armor killing punch"
      4. Heavy: Tier 4 (Light Anti-Armor) or Tier 5 (Medium Anti-Armor) "takes out an entire armored car"
      5. It is possible that Normal is 3 (more powerful than GP-12 or NSP), and Burst is Tier 4 (not quite armor-killing?)
Please assign either Tier 4 or 5 to Heavy, should normal/burst be tier 3/4?

Last edited:
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'll let one of yamatai's FMs make the call but T-3 for a weapon that size should be appropriate considering for its size and not being aether it should not breach into T-4 for its burst where it would compete with entry PA scale weaponry as it "doesn't have armor-killing punch " making it T-3. With the heavy mode, T-4 would be for and can be grandfathered in without me or other reviewers needing to shoot it down that it otherwise would not be allowed for a weapon of that size and scale.

Note that the Sizi 38 was approved recently at Tier 4 firing "standard" rounds and is a pistol.

Setting it to 2/3/4

Then once @Wes or @Andrew or @Toshiro give the 👍 we can move on. As its an update and not a new submission it should only need them giving it the OK and it is approved.

To comment on the sizi , however, the Sizi-38 is still subject to the new (kind of old now) rules for pistol damage implemented by wes over a year ago and in turn would not be hitting over T-2 in that system (All handguns and pistol scale weapons should be regulated to T-1 in damage and T-2 in regards to exceptionally powerful handguns) that many old and powerful handguns where nerfed under. I, however, am not going to go onto other people's articles and die on that hill as public enemy #1~

A new pistol would not pass under those damages but an old article like this (which is not a pistol~) can be grandfathered due to it being before DRv3 and it is being updated.

Also the Sizi is not a solid-ammunition weapon, it's a plasma pistol that looks like an old revolver

Edit: NVM I see where he clarified it wasn't just for Solid Ammunition on down the thread

My inclination here from an FM point of view would be:

• Stun: Tier 1 (Light Anti-Personnel, Stun)
  • Normal (Single/Auto): Tier 2 (Medium Anti-Personnel)
  • Burst (Single/Auto): Tier 3 (Heavy Anti-Personnel)
  • Heavy: Tier 4 (Light Anti-Armor)

But I think I'd like to defer to @Wes in this particular case.

That was my very first thought, and Char and you seem to agree on it.

I'm confident in my decision there, the DR value seems good @Yuuki . Since this is just updating DR values. Approved.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back