• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Well hellooooo~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepito

Inactive Member
Hey. New guy. Sup. (Apologies in advance if this post is a bit much packed with stupid, allnighter on Xmas = auto-lose.)

So first of all, allow me to pay my respects - you're all crazy. Freakin nutjobs. And nerds too. Crazy nutty nerdy nerds.

But you can take that as a compliment! Seriously, I bow to thy nerditude. Such nerd(izzle)ism I have nary seen in all my travels of yonder intarwebnets. Izzle.

*ahem* Err yeah, the jist of what I'm trying to get across here is I might be a little lost. The sci-fi setting (in RP and just in general) is a little foreign to me, and a lot of these posts have me scratching my head more than a little bit. Elves and dragons and lolipop castles were so much simpler :oops: (But I'm beginning to see why the fantasy setting is such a draw for the more... noobishly inclined who tend to shitcock matters up a smidge.)

But! That doesn't mean I'm not gonna give it a go. The stuff I have managed to decipher looks pretty exciting, and it definitely seems like something I wanna take part in - besides which I just get a really fuzzy feeling from the community. =^_^=

That is, if you'll have me. Not that I feel like I need to ask permission, I'm just a little wary of making a commitment (which I don't often do) and then slowing up the RP cause I don't gots the techno-knowhow....... how now.............. brown cow........................... bow chika-wow...... (*facedesk* Wah, focus!)

So, yeah, like, are there many new players in my situation? Right now (and for a good portion of the night) I've been slaving over character sheets and info pages trying to flesh out the character concept I've got bouncing around in my head, but it's not really slotting together with the utmost of smoothity (and, well, I'm easily distracted, if you hadn't noticed :>).

That is, I've been able to nail his personality and appearence, and most of his history (few points I'm unsure on, but I'll take that to the questions board), but I'm having a little trouble with his occupation. To fit with his personality, I really want him to have a (relatively) non-combat role, but I also want him to be stationed on a Star Army ship. The closest I can reckon is to make him a doctor - and that actually fits with his demeanor really well - but my knowledge of medicine is about as limited as my knowledge of sci-fi *grins*. I could read up on it a bit to be prepared, only I'm not entirely sure what exactly I'd need to know to play the role effectively (and I don't wanna be reaching for a manual every time someone gets a splinter from their pistol's highly customised wooden stock or stubs their toe climbing into a battle mech ;)). Also, I'd have some questions more specific to the game universe - which type of medical tools are used, differences in anatomy and bodily functions of the various races, etc - which I'm sure could be answered but I haven't found the info readily available anywhere just yet.

Hoi... but I'm slowly starting to realise that I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill here. I mean really, the original purpose of the thread was just to say 'hey', so I kinda dicknippled that up pretty good. :?

Oh well - hey, nice to meet you all. :)

*yawn* Blergh, sleep deprivation catching up on me. Any help would be appreciated, or even just a friendly hidley-ho to reinforce that fuzziness *bats eyelashes*.

Oh, and sorry if this was more suited to the questions board, it was meant to be more of a general musing/combined introduction than inquiring about anything in specific, but move if it you gotta.

Ahem. I shut up now.

(Oh! And 5 brownie points to anyone who can place my avatar :D)

Welcome to Star Army!

I'm Fred, the leader of this community. Wes here is my faithful sidekick and does admin work for me because I can't be troubled to do it. Sen (Sleepwalker) is my queen and we're working on building the descendence of our dynasty. I keep Doshii Jun around for comic relief. Yangfan is our GM of shadows, so, pretend you don't notice him.

The rest are all under my mental domination and I sacrifice one member monthly to maintain my god-like powers and the site's hosting fees. Thank you for joining our stash of expendable forum members. ^_^

Welcome, I'm Wes, a perverted entity whose vortex of imagination and ideas you have just been sucked into.

Pcell, from Blame! You, good sir, give definition to the word win.

Ahem. Welcome to the Star Army; I'm me, and I do this and that. I'm sure you'll have a great time RPing here once you get past the usual info-overload everyone gets :)

I'm Zakalwe, who comes with several separate identities of note:

British.
Uber-Poster.
Most Failed GM (3 plots and counting).
Head of NovaCorp and Emrys Industries.

I wish for a Whiter shade of Pale!

oooo belated but Welcome Pepito! ^^ the information overloads a sci-fi junkie like me so don't feel bad!

Wes said:
Welcome, I'm Wes, a perverted entity whose vortex of imagination and ideas you have just been sucked into.
Does it count if I was on autopilot? :3

Itkatsu Kiyoko said:
Pcell, from Blame! You, good sir, give definition to the word win.
Hehe, trust the crazy blood-stained nurse elf/catgirl type to pick up on this. Precisely fifty-two and one seventh win points to you sir! And actually double that cause I couldn't even remember her name till you mentioned it. Which makes... uhh... yeah, that many.

So yah, liek, fuzziness overload. ZOMG. Cheese. <3

Aaaand assuming since everyone conveniently brushed over my questions that this is fairly common? Or it's not and I was just being a silly worrying worrier worry wart?

Actually, I do that a lot. Worry I mean. I don't think I've ever had a wart, much less been one. I don't think I should like to be dipped in liquid nitrogen and burnt to an icy crisp either... (yeah, digressing)

Shmeh. For now I'll just hurry along that character profile, I can always sort out the kinks later, right?

Oh, one more ques-ti-one though. About YIM, should I just go and add everyone (who has a shiny avatar)? Or is it better just to wait and add everyone from your crew for JPs and whatnot? I've added a couple of you already but I quickly realised I'd be there for awhile if I was to go through everyone... (even just the actives)

Fuzziness! ^^:!:

I advise adding people you want to talk too.

Otherwise we just get horribly cluttered displays and strain our minds trying to remember who everyone is.

That maketh the sense.

Also, good job creeping me out with the auto-formatting on "a lot" --> "a great deal". It wouldn't edit! Weeeeeird! :?

Edit - A lot as one word. I even went and forgot I couldn't type it again -_-

That's actually a very good one. Many apreciations Wes. Are there many other grammatical corrections lurky around the HTML of the site?

Yes, there are many. I'll add more soon, as a helping hand to Millia (she's crazy with misspellings like that lol).

If you want your char to have a non-combat role but don't want to play a doctor, you can always roleplay a caretaker. I'm not sure being an errand boy would be much fun, but plenty of players seem to disagree. :) Hmm, how about a cook?

Note: The rest of this post is me rambling. You don't have to read it. :p

I wouldn't worry too much about sci-fi settings being new to you. In my humble opinion, sci-fi didn't really capture the public imagination, and thereby mature as a medium, until Star Wars IV, when George Lucas showed that you can tell a medieval story about knights and evil empires and the supernatural in a futuristic setting. The stories told by the best sci-fi settings are universal, and we try to follow in that tradition here at SARP.

Here are some of the stories I've personally witnessed here at SARP: (Some of them were from a previous board. I'm not if we preserved them all in the archives.)

* A warrior poet is haunted by the deeds and machinations of her arch-nemesis, who is also her sister.

* A sage willing to press on with his research at any cost is brought into conflict with an officer with uncompromising principles.

* Two soldiers make a valiant last-stand when hope no longer lives.

* An Emperor realizing that he has placed his realm in peril because he failed to notice the signs of betrayal from his old mentor.

Even right now, we have:

* The officers of several fleets are matching their wits against the ruthlessness of a numerically superior enemy more interested in causing death and destruction than acquiring territory.

* A rag-tag band of inexperienced sailors are trying to avoid court martial by getting their ship back.

* A group of soldiers is given a few precious days of time off after a fierce battle. Some ponder the price of war while others ponder the price of alcohol.

Most of these stories would just be as relevant and coherent if told in a fantasy medieval setting, in a Victorian steam-punk setting, or under the shadow of World War II. The best stories hold morals and values that are independent of the setting under which it was told. The stories speak volumes about the storyteller though.

Personally, I like mixing in catgirls and starships with my stories, so sci-fi is just fine with me. :)

I think it would be cool to stick some of those stories into a greco-roman setting.

One of them makes a great "Thermopylae" story. :D

Belated hello!

I'm Matt creator of the Jaspis System and thus creator of the Abwehrans and Gefahrans (information pending). Welcome to SARP, you are now....one of us, one of us, gooble gobble, gooble gobble.

Call me FM.

I'm the 'mysterious' person around here, and by 'mysterious' I mean no one knows anything about my real-life persona (or very little) and I plan to keep it that way.

Oh, and I'm Canadian. WoooooOOOOOoooooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back