• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

What Are Your Questions about Yamatai?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Hello! Welcome to Star Army! I'm Wes, manager for Star Army's original and main faction, the Yamatai Star Empire.

Do you have questions about Yamatai or its people? There's no need to wonder. Post them in this thread and I'll do my best to give you definitive answers straight from the source. Answers will also be worked into the wiki for the benefit of future players.

Ira said:
Yamataian Family units. What is the norm? Do they have modern nuclear family units?
Great question. Yamataians* who come from a human background tend to have a family arrangement where they have two parents (mom and dad or two moms, or occasionally two dads) and children.

Single people in Yamatai tend to life in small apartments.

Nekos and ex-neko tend to live in non-traditional groups that resemble a dorm or barracks and they, being of the warrior mindset, tend to build their houses as fortified castles similar to Hakka walled villages.

Almost everybody's grandparents are dead from the Great Plague, but if they have some, the grandparents usually live on their own because in a society where young bodies are readily available to transfer into, almost nobody chooses to get old.

* As in the people of Yamatai and not necessarily the empire as a whole. Yamatai include many cultures including Phods, Kodians, and other species who have their own distinct cultures.

i have been wondering since i first joined, I know that there are new bodies, for those who want them, but is there any life expectation for the memories. As in degradation of the memories. or corruption over time of the process?

I guess the real question is how long can a neko, or yami go on?

Corruption of data is usually a non-issue, so in theory Yamataians and Nekovalkyrja are immortal. However the oldest nekos are only 35 years old (Yui and Yuumi) so it remains to be seen how this works out.

that was kind of what I was told when I first joined, but I wanted to find out for sure. I like the idea.

How does Yamatai avoid overpopulation issues with death being basically solved and the creation of new people through both biological and synthetic means happening on a (presumably) large scale?

Zonr_0 said:
How does Yamatai avoid overpopulation issues with death being basically solved and the creation of new people through both biological and synthetic means happening on a (presumably) large scale?

Wes will, of course, chime in. But Yamatai is a big empire. None of its worlds have even half of modern Earth's population. We've got plenty of room to grow.

Also, birth control comes built in, especially with the newer civilian bodies, as far as I recall from the descriptions.

Edit: I also recall well fed, well educated people tend to have less children, so the mass manufacturing may also be more of a help than a hindrance.

That is my take, Yamatai has lots of worlds for people to move to, and I figure in most cases, folks will probably have between 1-3 children.

Question: Can Yamataian citizens get access to fully licensed and legal body transfers if they haven't been living in the Empire's borders and haven't switched citizenship?

Also, do Nepleslians and Geshrin who moved from elsewhere to Yamatai prior to the Empire forming keep their citizenship of their old world? (Dual Citizenship? )

Bodies are provided to Yamataian citizens only; Yamatai does not allow dual citizenship (except for member planets like Elysia). If the person is still a citizen, they can get an upgrade back home in the YSE.

How do Nekovalkyrja "Socialize"? It's part of their training, apparently, but it seems difficult to find any information on it. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

If it isn't something that's elaborated on, is it something that a member of the site can try to expand?

Are there multiple methods of socialization?

Is this socialization geared toward preparing Nekovalkyrja for war, rather than society?

How many Nekovalkyrja currently exist, and roughly how many generations have passed ─ going by the common 25-year increment, it sounds like one and a half if they've been around for all of YE, but they grow so quickly it looks so confusing.

Beyond Imperial nobility, what sort of social classes are there?

What is the average level of technology for Yamataian colonies? That is, is their infrastructure about as advanced as Yamatai itself, or are they just isolated "BFE" towns in the middle of nowhere with advanced comms and flight?

Beyond Yamatai, what systems have important shipyards (both civilian and military/government)?

Sorry, figured I'd ask as many questions as came to my mind at once, instead of posting one or two at a time.

Obviously, I've been interested in socialization, but it's hardly my only area of interest.

How do Nekovalkyrja "Socialize"? It's part of their training, apparently, but it seems difficult to find any information on it. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.
Nekovalkyrja are mingled with older Nekovalkyrja and trainers and taught, by example, the cultural norms of Yamataian society from how to eat politely to concepts like responsibility and ethics. Basically, through talk and activities they learn the Neko-Yamataian culture and how to be a good person and an effective team member. Naturally, loyalty is an important part of this.

is it something that a member of the site can try to expand
Cultural submissions are welcome. For Yamataian stuff, talk to me first so we can work together. I like being in the loop.

Is this socialization geared toward preparing Nekovalkyrja for war, rather than society?
In some aspects it prepares them for war, but that's mainly the realm of their military training; the socialization process is more about preparing them for life in general (including life starting in the Star Army).

More answers to come...

Friv said:
How many Nekovalkyrja currently exist, and roughly how many generations have passed ─ going by the common 25-year increment, it sounds like one and a half if they've been around for all of YE, but they grow so quickly it looks so confusing.
The idea of a generation is human concept that doesn't apply neatly to Nekovalkyrja because they can produce at a young age, and (as you noted) they are a very young race in general, with Nekovalkyrja not even being heavily mass-produced until somewhere around YE 20, meaning most Nekovalkyrja are younger than 15. If I had to break down Nekovalkyrja into generations, it would be by model numbers or by the wars they were produced for.

• Original prototype weapons (Yui, Yuumi)
  • Early NH-2 models for sale (Eve, Meni, Mani, etc)
  • Initial mass production - NH-7 (Elysian wars Chaos Hive War, etc)
  • Second Draconian War (Jaaq'tah) - trillions of NH-12 and NH-17 produced
  • First Mishhuvurthyar War - trillions more NH-17
  • Second Mishhuvurthyar War - NH-29
  • Present generation - NH-33
Beyond Imperial nobility, what sort of social classes are there
Yamatai does not have a codified class system, but you could break down the people into (in no particular order):
  • Soldiers, who tend to live on bases and starships.
  • Citizen working class that makes money, usually having their own land and housing. Farmers, manufacturers, shop owners.
  • Citizen leisure class that lives on or near the "floor" standard of living that the government provides. Students, artists, programmers, some retirees. Living in small apartments mostly. Low income but not struggling. Found primarily on planet Yamatai.
  • Non-citizen Residents: Reds that immigrated to Yamatai after the Nepleslian Civil War and live in the YSE. Mostly blue collar workers who work to provide for themselves. Personal servants are often in this class.
What is the average level of technology for Yamataian colonies? That is, is their infrastructure about as advanced as Yamatai itself, or are they just isolated "BFE" towns in the middle of nowhere with advanced comms and flight?
Yamataian colonies tend to be in the form of a high tech town with huge swathes of untouched wilderness around them. Colony towns are not as advanced as the core Yamatai worlds, particularly on the frontier, as a lot of tech tends to be hand-me-downs an non-Yamataian-built.
Beyond Yamatai, what systems have important shipyards (both civilian and military/government)?
Nataria is the military star system that hosts the massive Star Army depot which includes shipyards. There's also a large depot at Virginia and two mobile mini-depots based in Spirit City and Chikara Star Fortress, which are fleet space stations. All Star Army fleets have Star Fortresses that have shipyards, and they're scattered strategically through YSE space. Major civilian shipyards are located in the Yamatai system (Geshrinari Shipyards, Ketsurui Fleet Yards), the Kohanian cloud (NovaCorp), Tami System (Origin Industries), Ake System (Origin Industries), and Hanako's Star System (Ketsurui Fleet Yards) and UX-17 (Origin Industries - Sunrise station).

Do minor fringe colonies exist. Like small colonies of 100 or so individuals with limited or no external support?

Ira said:
Do minor fringe colonies exist. Like small colonies of 100 or so individuals with limited or no external support?
There's many small colonies out there, but few of them of that size are totally self-sufficient.

Nekovalkyrja are assigned names from a random pool (Japanese, Nordic, and/or inspiring sounding named like Victory), or are named by the people making them (sometimes named after starships and/or fruits, etc).

I know that NH-33Ys don't have SACN access until after puberty and signing up; but what about SYNC access through their minds?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back