• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

What changed?

Ametheliana

Head in the Stars
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
What about writing in SARP changed for you on day 1 vs now?

To make things clear, I'll give an example: On day 1 I didn't think I would ever write my characters as drinkers. I saw it done and thought it was silly and a bad use of their time. Now? I have them drink all the time!

What things did you think you'd never do or didn't want to do that you found yourself utilizing later? What things did you think you would definitely be doing that never happened?

Solution
I never thought I would GM.

When I first joined the site 'officially' - because I had dabbled earlier on another username that, to be frank, I couldn't possibly remember if I tried (I tried hard) prior to joining as Gallant, I played a young officer on the Sakura. I had these great big ideas, but was too busy with other RP sites to really bother too hard.

I'd have to say it's my investment with the site.

When I came back, I explored a lot of things with some single posts about Nekovalkyrja - their mentality, the idea of slave-soldiers, or manufactured soldiers. And I pitched to Fred, hey, I'd like to play a Miharu sprite. He was reticent at first if I recall correctly, both about taking on a new player and about a player playing...
When SARP first started a lot of members were young, single guys and we did a ton of sex scenes in the RP.

But in the last decade I think Hanako, one of the characters who was around for the SARP "Pink Era," has only had sex with one character (who she was in a long-term relationship with).

So, my answer is that my characters aren't total horndogs anymore.

Also I'm a lot more considerate about how I treat other players and their characters.

When SARP first started a lot of members were young, single guys and we did a ton of sex scenes in the RP.

But in the last decade I think Hanako, one of the characters who was around for the SARP "Pink Era," has only had sex with one character (who she was in a long-term relationship with).

So, my answer is that my characters aren't total horndogs anymore.

Also I'm a lot more considerate about how I treat other players and their characters.
Make SARP (stank) great again.

I've never thought it was OK, but it is true and just part of life. If you aren't fighting to be better all the time -- and sometimes even if you are -- you're atrophying.

Heh, true enough. We aren't on the same page here, though. The "okay" I was talking about was writing quality, which has definitely improved after years of experience. But also improved from not caring; being a try-hard is so 2007.

I might have gotten slightly lazier since two months ago. Or maybe I'm experimenting slightly more. I don't think the differences are statistically significant by this point.

I think I was expecting to play more with fewer characters, though!

My first character (Jei) was very conservative to himself and was young and stupid. Now I have THREE Nepleslians with beer for brains two with smoke for blood. ~Where did I go wrong.

I think my writing has improved, since all my characters now have vices and other things instead of the STRICT wiki page verbatim.

Wazu and Uso have been around for a while.

The difference between then and now is just how much baggage has accumulated.

Not to mention I think my writing is a lot more informed now that I've worked in an actual business environment instead of writing from a school perspective. My characters (and I) are more easy going when it comes to people.

I never thought I would GM.

When I first joined the site 'officially' - because I had dabbled earlier on another username that, to be frank, I couldn't possibly remember if I tried (I tried hard) prior to joining as Gallant, I played a young officer on the Sakura. I had these great big ideas, but was too busy with other RP sites to really bother too hard.

I'd have to say it's my investment with the site.

When I came back, I explored a lot of things with some single posts about Nekovalkyrja - their mentality, the idea of slave-soldiers, or manufactured soldiers. And I pitched to Fred, hey, I'd like to play a Miharu sprite. He was reticent at first if I recall correctly, both about taking on a new player and about a player playing a sprite (usually an NPC position). It worked out, obviously.

I have always been fond of Yamatai, and of that idea and concept, but my version of it has gradually changed over time as I'm sure everyone else's has. I played characters... and now I'm GMing. I delve deeply into philosophy, try to cater to players a lot more than I used to, and try to understand other peoples' visions of the setting a lot more than I used to. I think that's the biggest difference; I'm content to leave other gms/people in the setting to their own devices, while I write my own.

Solution
RPG-D RPGfix
Back