• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

What do high tech things sound like?

icekatze

hi hi

For various reasons, I'd like to ask what a scalar pulse weapon, like the NSP sounds like. Is there a commonly used sound or onomatopoeia? A silent whisper or a loud bang? "Thump, crack, ka-boom?"

Also, some other high tech things as well.
• Continuum Distortion Drives: Do they make noise while in operation, or just when they start up and shut down?
• Inertial Control: Does hovering make any kind of sound, or can one manipulate the air around them to cancel (or amplify) the sound of rushing air as they move.
• Extensive Underground Cities: Are they deathly still and silent, or do people tend to play random nature noises, or perhaps is there a constant thrum of electricity?

Just thinking about how to describe things using different senses.

• I kind of imagine CDD as being a weird thing you can sort of feel-hear that you can't really describe. Not a noise, but not a feeling. Something that is both and neither.
  • Inertial control I don't imagine as having any particular sound associated other than the sound of the thing moving through whatever it moves through.
  • This is probably dependent on species. Kuvexians and Lorath are underground creatures, so I doubt they do anything special for playing sounds, but they might through architectural means, shape the ambient sounds and that be considered part of their aesthetics. Actually playing nature sounds is something surface-evolved species care about more. Unless that was deliberately added to the psychology of synthetics like Nekos, they probably don't bother.

I think it depends on what your line of thinking is. A lot of the sound effects we associate with high technology things come from science fiction. Most of these are just common sounds that have been mixed into new ones. In reality though, in space things tend to be very quiet. While the ship likely makes the noise inside, a lot of it is likely vibrations, the humm of power sources energizing, and things like that.

• I always think CDD sounds like a woosh, that initial burst followed by a low harmonic vibration. While Turbo Aether sounds like that low rumble Star Trek presents impulse engines with.
  • Inertia control would likely be more of a feeling, a change of pressure a counteraction that goes a little bit further than that which it is going against. That feeling of when your ears pop on an airplane, maybe that rush sound too?
  • Underground Cities are likely full of mechanical echos and noises. I imagine the noises blending together and the cavern having a cathedral-like effect on the noise.

I know this wasn't one of the sounds listed but for Hyperspace Fold, I've written the crew hearing like a crackling thump. Not really sure how that would work part of me thinks massive release of energy and displaced particles and stuff

Relevant to my interests! I think rushing air would get really noisy when you're flying. Baseline Neko can't manipulate the air around them to negate that affect, Eihei could. It'd just be wimdy or if the air displaces enough to make those noises.

I can't wait to hear about CDD from Wes as I've wondered if an engineer character like Trip Tucker from Voyager would live for the sound of the engine thrumming within the sarpiverse, though I think I've heard it's noiseless.

I can't find my RP, but I've RP'd in Hell where it was vivacious and full of life noise-wise. There was a weekend festival happening or something or there was a loud funeral, I can't remember. But they did supplement those natural sounds one would expect just by being outside with those of their own, at least in RP a vet guided me on.

Really cool questions! Got us all talking!

I get the impression that high tech stuff is always relatively quiet. My reasoning comes from the idea that sound is ultimately wasted energy. Even though Modern Formula 1 cars are much faster than the old V8s, they are also much quieter because the older engines are less efficient than the ones used now.

Last edited:
I get the idea that high tech stuff is always relatively quiet. My reasoning comes from the idea that sound is ultimately wasted energy. Even though Modern Formula 1 cars are much faster than the old V8s, they are also much quieter because the older engines are less efficient than the ones used now.
Also, from the inside of vehicles, we've got a lot of really good soundproofing. I'd def assume that in a super futuristic setting having good sound proofing between potentially noisy things (SARP things with the noise level of Jet Engines) and crew would be important for things like limiting crew fatigue and letting people focus on their mission. (and hearing damage)

I imagine experiencing anything that is physics-breaking, like CDD or Hyperspace Fold or whatever has kind of a visceral feeling of "wrongness" associated with other sensory perceptions of the phenomenon. Inertia/antigrav not so much, that is just taking one of the normal "dials" and turning it down to zero. But distortions and folding and going into subspace– that's all palpably strange.

hi hi

Thanks for the replies! I'm realizing that also different species will probably have different hearing ranges and perceive the same sounds differently.

This is probably dependent on species. Kuvexians and Lorath are underground creatures, so I doubt they do anything special for playing sounds, but they might through architectural means, shape the ambient sounds and that be considered part of their aesthetics. Actually playing nature sounds is something surface-evolved species care about more. Unless that was deliberately added to the psychology of synthetics like Nekos, they probably don't bother.
I suppose Nekos and most engineered species have some sort of filter to prevent the kind of feedback that humans often get in low input situations? (Little dots in one's vision in the dark, hearing phantom noises in an anechoic chamber, or randomly getting an itch on one's nose when they're not feeling any physical stimulation. Those kinds of things.)

• Inertia control would likely be more of a feeling, a change of pressure a counteraction that goes a little bit further than that which it is going against. That feeling of when your ears pop on an airplane, maybe that rush sound too?
  • Underground Cities are likely full of mechanical echos and noises. I imagine the noises blending together and the cavern having a cathedral-like effect on the noise.
I didn't even think about pressure changes. Interesting, perhaps care ought to be taken when carrying baseline people/animals.

If there are lots of internal combustion engines in use, you're probably right. I've never been to a big city with a subway, but maybe that's a good analogue for the volume level?

I know electric cars often have something in them to generate extra noise so that pedestrians will be aware of them, at least at lower speeds. Not sure how much noise the average flying car makes, but I'd imagine they could be pretty quiet. Perhaps the most important part will be how close one is to a crowd of other people.

I know this wasn't one of the sounds listed but for Hyperspace Fold, I've written the crew hearing like a crackling thump. Not really sure how that would work part of me thinks massive release of energy and displaced particles and stuff
How to imagine or describe something using all different senses is something that I've been wondering as I trying to study up on things. I'll happily accept any clues. :)

Relevant to my interests! I think rushing air would get really noisy when you're flying. Baseline Neko can't manipulate the air around them to negate that affect, Eihei could. It'd just be wimdy or if the air displaces enough to make those noises.

I can't wait to hear about CDD from Wes as I've wondered if an engineer character like Trip Tucker from Voyager would live for the sound of the engine thrumming within the sarpiverse, though I think I've heard it's noiseless.
One time I was biking along and I heard this strange buzzing humming noise that was really quite loud and I stopped multiple times to try to figure out what was making the noise. Eventually I found out that a leaf had gotten wedged just right that it was vibrating and whistling like a reed instrument as the air moved over it. That's... not exactly a high tech anecdote, but I'm guessing that having movable ears helps when it's extra wimdy. :)

If machines are silent while operating, are there blinking sci fi lights to let people know they're working? I suppose people with digital memory could probably set it up to just instinctively know when the equipment they're using is working correctly or not...

I imagine experiencing anything that is physics-breaking, like CDD or Hyperspace Fold or whatever has kind of a visceral feeling of "wrongness" associated with other sensory perceptions of the phenomenon. Inertia/antigrav not so much, that is just taking one of the normal "dials" and turning it down to zero. But distortions and folding and going into subspace– that's all palpably strange.
People do have different tolerances for things like roller coasters, so I suppose there might be differences in perception of other non-intuitive phenomenon. And I know I'm getting off topic in my own topic, but I suppose bodies that are designed to float with anti-gravity don't get as much excitement out of roller coasters. What kind of rides do people build in the amusement parks in Yamatai. (Or maybe they don't build them?)

Anyway, thanks everyone!

Well,Jiyuu II is basically one big Nekovalkyrja amusement park - Storm Chasers, because the extreme weather makes the surface all but uninhabitable. But if you want to go hurricane diving from the edge of space in recreational ultralight power armor, it's the place to be.

One time I was biking along and I heard this strange buzzing humming noise that was really quite loud and I stopped multiple times to try to figure out what was making the noise. Eventually I found out that a leaf had gotten wedged just right that it was vibrating and whistling like a reed instrument as the air moved over it. That's... not exactly a high tech anecdote, but I'm guessing that having movable ears helps when it's extra wimdy. :)
I think I've had an experience like this before! But general leaf-less bicycling is the major reason I think it'd be loud at times at acceleration ^^

I agree about the machine aspect- I was somehow surprised when the Fuji-class art needed running lights. But of course it makes sense!

hi hi

As much as I have a rough time with ordinary mundane roller coasters, the concept of diving into a hurricane does sound awesome. I guess there are people who go surfing as a hurricane approaches already. I bet someone could make a sport out of it with a wing suit and a ball.

I agree about the machine aspect- I was somehow surprised when the Fuji-class art needed running lights. But of course it makes sense!
I guess sometimes even when gadgets are high tech, there's some value in keeping things simple. Also, I'm sure that with their tech level, they could just have ships crewed entirely by uploaded minds, but if it clashes with people's sensibilities, then it's not going to go anywhere.

Even if the NSP on stun doesn't naturally make a sound, it does at least have a flash of light to let people know it's working.

Star Wars blasters are just banging on springs
Perhaps the only sound an NSP makes is the sound of whatever it's hitting exploding? Then it would be variable depending on the target, and the foley artists would have to do things like splat various vegetables and fruits, or break wooden boards.

I've seen CDD described as large fully enclosed metal spheres that contain a gyroscoping arrangement of machinery inside.

So, you'd have the multiple layers of metal rings rotating inside, probably some energy reaction between those rings, and then the exterior cover muffling most of the sound. I figure what we'd end up hearing (if the rest of the cacophony in engineering is silent) us a muted vibration.

Personally, this reminds me a lot of the drive cores in Mass Effect, so, this is what stands as my mental surrogate:

"Wha-" Suzume blinked wide at Tom's order, but his imperative snap that what he said was an order had her shove her hesitation aside.

"Move!" She said on her loudspeakers for added emphasis, as Yuzuki and Nao trailed after Rin. By the time the three technicians were out of the main passageway, Suzume had reached over her shoulder to ready her plasma rifle for use.

I can't believe I'm about to- She killed the thought by pulling the trigger. The hot ball of blue-white plasma leapt out of the rifle and squarely struck the Combined Field System, stripping it of its outer cover and smashing apart the gyroscopic-like field emitters inside.

Last edited:
Everything in the ship began to shimmer in bright teal and a loud "BOOJ" sound fill the air as the ship space-folded out of the Nataria star system. After a brief journey the ship was in the outskirts of the Halna star system, a somewhat disreputable independent system located within Yamataian space.
Here's an example of spacefolding making the classic "Booj" sound that always shows up in movie trailers. See: The Booj — Twenty Thousand Hertz - The stories behind the world's most recognizable and interesting sounds.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back