• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

What is the intended tier of the Twin Plasma turret?

Alex Hart

FM of NDC
🎖️ Game Master
When looking at Nepleslian ships, I noticed that some list the twin plasma turret as being tier 8/9 but others, and the weapon's page, list it as being tier 11. Given the fire rate of the weapon, I feel that tier 8 makes much more sense for it, but I wanted to see what other people thought about it. Certainly tier 11 30 times per second is far too much for what's ostensibly a point defense weapon.

Its role is anti-starship, which is even listed separate from its damage rating. Anything below 10 is not anti-starship. It should be 11 due to what it was made to be. Ship pages that state it is 8 or 9 should be corrected. It goes worth saying that the update from DR 2 to 3 was done by Wes and has not been edited from what he adjusted it to, 11.

At some point a footnote was edited out that clarified that as being a combined rps. Each barrel is firing at 15 rps, combined it is 30.

It looks like it was auto-converted, so I feel like it needs a second look. Tier 9 at the rate of fire it has more than makes it a threat to ships, and tier 11 is just absurd.

Regardless, it is a direct translation of SDR 3. There is no "it could be 9 or 10, but also 11" on the conversion to DRv3 section. It is simply that it would be 11.

This is an old SARP article. It's a useful piece of equipment. It doesn't need to change because 1 (one) person in the past decade has seen it as OP when it's, frankly, not OP for the setting it is in. It fires a lot and it has a short duration within which it can sustain that and a short range. For comparison, its range is 0.004 AU, rounded up. AU is the distance between us and the sun. It's a small distance and a small window for how long it can fire. I don't believe it needs a change.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back