• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

What should a beginners guide include?

Soban

Convention Veteran
Pretty straightforward exactly what it says on the tin. What do you think should be included in a beginners guide?

I think the following things are things I think that we definitely would want to have in it.
  • A general overview of the 'feel' of Star Army, not history or specific tech, but what we want to accomplish and what we want people to feel like they are doing here. This would probably be a paragraph or so.
  • History of the setting (Probably several paragraphs)
  • An overview of the current major players, probably about a paragraph each
    • Yamatai
    • Nepleslia
    • Nateshen
    • Duskarians
  • Current enemies and threats ( about a paragraph each)
  • common species and where they are most common (about a paragraph each)
  • common tech in the setting (What techs should be included?)
  • Best places and methods for jumping in.

I'm going to tag @Locked_0ut because he's active and new to ask him what he would like to have known/know.

What do you think of that list? is there something missing we should add, is there something that probably shouldn't be on it? I want your thoughts.

A link to at least the past 4 years calendar pages (which usually have little things that happened on them, at least for yamatai since I stopped doing it for nep a while ago), links to the active plots/characters wanted pages.

That alongside the 4 factions mentioned in the OP as well as some major setting players (the kuvies, mishu, and maybe the lorath, poku, nesh, and spacers). Who while not really active in some of those instances are considerably large players in the setting

At some point further down maybe a more advanced section for people who want to create in the setting such as links to our (tho im not really in favor of them any more) rules, guidelines, submission rules, the DRv3 page, weapon limitations, templates, etc.

I think the "must knows for a new yamataian soldier" page could be linked. I also think every major faction should consider making one of these.

Silly aside from must know page, it says urinals are unheard of and I was like "we have no bathrooms?!?!" because I've seen like one urinal in my whole life and thought it meant a general toilet >.<

RPG-D RPGfix
Back