• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

What technology is restricted?

Zakalwe

Inactive Member
Under the laws of Star Army these technologies are restricted:
HSCS
TDD
RDD
GWB
Transposition Cannons
Scalar Weapons
ST/SS Tech.
Technology involved in the creation of Zesuaium.
Interdictor Devices

Does this mean that no-one can by the blueprints or just that no-one can use it without paying the relevant organisations?

Also is a ban against any organistation developing it through their own independant research?

I couldn't think of anywhere else to post this so I decided to put it here.

Nekos are meant to sort of self destruct when their DNA is scanned, but my questions is, how do they know that it's being scanned? Some energy wave interacting with the molecules of the DNA? This would mean that high level EMR or even infared which can damage DNA might be misread as a scanning attempt by the Nekos immune system, meaning they self destruct. I just don't understand how a Neko can work out that it's being scanned at that level.

This self destructive nature could mean that a directed high-energy EMR laser could set off the self distruct by interfeering with the DNA. Or a scanning deviced that is designed not to actualy scan but to convince the DNA that it's being scanned could be developed by an enemy organisation (and no NovaCorp is not developing those).

Yes, nekos have been deliberately scanned to death before.

Not any scan will do it. It has to be fairly intense, and at a molecular level. The neko's awareness also plays a role in it, too.

About the super metals: Zesuaim, Xintium and those lot, can anyone make ships out of it, or is soley for the use of Star Army. I no that Zesuaim can only be made through transmorphfication (or a word that makes more sense), but do the other ones only come into existence the same way?

While on the subject is transthingmagig technology restricted? I know that it is way to advanced for NovaCorp to have, but I'm just wondering from a technical standpoint.

Zesuaium-making is a restricted technology (but possession isn't). It's the only restricted armor. Most of the other armors are Nerimian in origin. These materials, of course, have to me made before they can be used. Novacorp could buy some. Xintium's incredibly expensive, though.

Are cloaking devices restricted? And if so which types?

Are their any types of cloaking that are actualy at NovaCorp rough point of technology, or for which NovaCorp could buy the plans? Thanks in advance.

I don't think they're illegal, although the Star Army tends to enforce local restrictions since cloaking devices are usually used for malicious purposes (especially by pirates). It's impossible to find any cloaking device that can provide 100% invisibility (especially with sensors being functional).

If you'd want to use them, that's okay, I guess. One key point, though: Cloaking devices aren't something that can just be attached like a flashlight would. Generally cloaking systems are part of a ship's design from the outset.

That's good, I'm working on a Shroud fighter or something of that nature which uses a cloak, and possibly a form of personal armour as well.

I was just wondering what are the different forms of cloaking?

Very nice, could be potentially good for armour or planet based bases. The phase cloaking and distortion also sound very intresting, are they out of NovaCorp technological capabilities do you think?

We are primarily, just keeping are horizens open. As far as ships go we are releasing civilian ships, the ALCS range which Rob posted a while back is an example of this. However NovaCorp also sells weapon and equipment to people, such as the Reaver that was used by Robs old character, the Xaser rifle that has recently been produced, the Gyroc that will soon be created, and highly potent posion spray capsules that have been created but arn't on the common market (we're concerned that someone could wipe out a city with a single pellet). An old product list can be found on the NovaCorp page, but it hasn't been updated in some time and doesn't have the recent developments.

I hope soon to finalise a lot of ideas I have, including a cheap civilian shuttle and several space going transport ships, and then I will post a list of what NovaCorp sells with price range attached, and with links to pages that have more details about the products. However I have no ability in page design and need Rob to do all of the work on the sight. I'm just the guy that comes up with ideas and then writes about them.

The cloaking technology could be put to use in a range of small but powerfull ships I'm envisioning, which will be used by NovaCorp and anyone who wishes to buy the plans. However this is some time off, since I have a massive amount to do already.

and highly potent posion spray capsules that have been created but arn't on the common market (we're concerned that someone could wipe out a city with a single pellet).

I don't know if that's unrealistic, but it is, in any case, ridiculously overpowered.

Which it is not on the common market, I found out the information about the most dangerous toxins and thought it might be a good idea to turn them into a form of weapon. However I the realised they where horendously powerfull and thus decided that selling them was insane as somone would kill hundred of thousands of civilains with a single capsule conataining concentrated Radiothorium or Beryllium, and planets could be rendered uninhabitable by small amounts of TCDD. As for realism here are the revlevant facts, taken from a reliable source:

Most toxic substance: radioactive element Thorium 228 also known as radiothroium
Just 2.4 x 10 ^ -16 g per m3 (1.1 x 10^-17 oz/yd3) of air is lethal to a normal human

Most toxic non-radioactive substance: Beryllium
Is lethal to humans at a concentration of 2 x 10^-6 mer m3 (9x10^-8 oz/yd3)

Most toxic man made substance: TCDD (the full name is meaningless)
Enviromental conentrations of TCDD above 50 parts per trillion are haxardous to health

I would be intrested however if any organisations wished to purchase this substance, as it could be a very effective weapon. If it's overpowered just know that NovaCorp is keeping the few capsules it has made in a safe for the moment, and is unlikely to have a reason to use them. Also as long as no organisation wants to be given the substance to use (in exchange for money or technology) their is no danger of it being used.

I have said before that I don't want NovaCorp to be to sinister, the most deadly things I'm developing are unlikely to be used, and it should be noted that NovCorp is planning on setting up several charitable concerns such as orphanages, hospitals and other caring centres on the planets that need it.

If there are still problems don't hesitate to let me know.

I've seen this thread a few times now and finally decided to reboot it. The reason being that I know there's a few forms of technology that is restricted, frowned on, or outright banned in any form. It'd be worthwhile to expand on the list/update it with the current restrictions and ultimately form a new wiki for it. If there isn't one already, but I don't recall seeing one. It might also be time to have a site-wide discussion to open-up the ones that were/have been restricted and see how the site as a whole might be leaning for certain things. It seems like FTL travel got wrapped up in a neat bow, so maybe we can resolve these technologies.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back