• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: The Wayward What the future holds (Ep 4.5)

Syaoran

Retired Staff
Uncharted Space

Two space ships sat idle with only a few kilometers between them, one was the Anbruch an independent vessel captained by Tanja Dunst, the other was an ASE made supply ship, fitted with all sorts of equipment to manufacture things on the go. These two ships were paired together for a complicated mission, but normally they would not get this close, only when there was a need to deliver something from one ship to the other.

That delivery had just been made though, and it was not supplies, rather it was a few missing members from Tanja's crew that had ridden the ASE ship during launch. There was no time to relax however as a meeting was immediately called to discuss the situation.

Anbruch - Wardroom

Inside the crew was seated at a table with the captain standing at the head of the table. She had a serious expression and her voice was strong, to make sure her message got across.

"Thank you all for getting ready so quickly. I'm sure most of you can guess why I called you here, after having an incident so early in this mission there are some serious matters to discuss." The captain placed her hands on the table and leaned forward as she spoke. "I'll get right to it though. To start, Hana is going to be out of commission for a while, she's stable and will recover, but it will take time."

She then tapped a button on the table and on the screen behind her, a picture of the strange objects from before showed up. "We then have these things that almost ruined our attempt at installing the first beacon...Stefan."

At those words, the ASE scientist spoke up. "Yes, after carefully examining one that we salvaged I was able to understand some things about it. First what they are...they are a synthetic metalloid life form. To the naked eye, they look like just a hunk of metal, however, they have a type of nanomachine in them that rearranges the structure as needed. There is little I understand about them, but I can tell you their intelligence is very rudimentary, but you could consider them an inorganic life form...like some sort of space ant."

Tanja gave a soft nod "We have adjusted the sensors to recognize their material composition and not just mark it as miscellaneous debris. So we should be able to detect them in the future, assuming they are all made out of the same material. Also so we can stop referring to them as 'it' I propose we address them as 'Cloud Bugs' until we have a proper name for them."

She cleared her throat and stood up straight before offering a smile to her crew. "Now in spite of all this, your mission was a success, the first beacon was installed, and the cloud bugs have not damaged it. The signal is coming through strong. So good work everyone."

While originally Nan came sauntering in to the meeting with his usual swag and saunter, Mother hovering slightly behind him, he quickly sobered at the obvious mood of his Captain. Most unlike him, he sat quietly waiting and listening to what Tanja had to say. He perked a bit at the mention of the Inorganic lifeforms wondering and finding that there were some that were "salvaged". Perhaps he could help this, Stefan, with them.

"Yeah so, sorry I wasn't here everybody when you first left. I was picking up some parts and modifying some of my tech. It sounds like you guys faced a rough time out there and I am sorry to hear about this Hana," Nan said with obvious caring. "Not to pass over that but could I help take a look at these Cloud bugs? I can't help but to wonder what stirred them and why."

Anbruch - Sometime before the meeting

When they first returned from their mission of setting up the initial beacon, Ana had tried to get answers about those things that were attacking them. Of course, at that time, no one had any answers and Tanja reassured the young mechanic that once they figured out what had attacked them, everyone would know. As well as any updates on Hana.

Left with no other options, Ana went to remove her space suit and get back into her usual overalls before taking TB back to the engine room and her workshop. There, she fixed him up as best as she could and got him to diagnosing the engines, as usual. When the call came for the meeting to take place, she headed to the Wardroom.

Wardroom

Ana entered after everyone else had gathered. When she saw both Nan and Quinn, she rushed to them and gave each a hug before turning her attention to Tanja and sobering up. Sentient beings? That intrigued her almost as much as Nan, but at the same time she was a bit frightened. When she had the chance, she spoke up, "So...if those things are equivalent to 'bugs'...what's to say there aren't anything that could be more...intelligent?"

ASE Supply Ship -> Anbruch; Wardroom
Quinn had chosen to forego putting away his gear before heading into the wardroom from the supply ship. He had maybe all of three minutes to put down his gear before being mobbed by Ana, hugging her back and giving her some long-awaited comfort and affection. Then he turned his attention to Stephan and the information being presented about whatever had attacked the crew while he and Nan were MIA. He took it all in, and accessed whatever information the ship itself had on the creatures and the encounter they had missed, wanting to know everything he could get his hands on. After a moment he took a deep breath, running through the current crew roster, noting the new faces, and then nodding "If there is something more intelligent out there It's more likely to find us, than us to find it." He pointed out, "Either way Nan is likely the best equipped for helping to figure out more about these Cloud Bugs." At least in Quinn's opinion and idly he wondered how some of their previous companions were doing.

Wardroom

"Well, the good news is that they are mortal." Adiel sighed offhandedly from his corner. He did not like this. There were more enemies out there, and with Babylon, he would obliterate them all. His hands itched to take control of his ship once more. As a flightless being- yes, the irony of having large, beautiful wings was not lost to him- the thrill of flight was like a hunger that could not be sated.

Was it odd that he personified his new fighter? No, not at all, he reasoned.

Ana turned towards Adiel, a small frown on her features. "Mortal. Yes. As mortal as we are. And though we may be calling them 'bugs' because, to us, they seem simple...but that doesn't make it right for us to kill them off. They attacked us, yes...but the question is: Why? Why were they there? And why didn't they attack before we set up the beacon? Were they protecting the asteroid or were they reacting to the beacon itself?"

Nan hugged Ana happy to see her and also happy to see everyone. He nodded along as people spoke but did a double take at Ana's last comments, "Damn, sister, look at you dropping some knowledge on us." To everyone else he said, "She has a point though. Why is totes the more apt question. In fairness though, with the current info we have on our buggy friends violence may be all we have against their instincts. Maybe I can develop some Bug B Gone after going with S man to check 'em out."

Wardroom

Ash smiled weakly at Tanja when she congratulated the crew for a job well done, but a scowl slowly creeped up across her mouth.

"Sure did not feel like a job well done," she thought. She had stowed the void suit and was wearing her typical sleeveless shirt, pants and boots.

"A way to detect and then kill these things is fine with me," said Ash to Nan, plopping down into a nearby seat. "But you gotta let me tag along when you dig into its brain. Has to be some crazy tech in there we can salvage."

Wardroom

Brigid listened, but she was disappointed by the results. She had suspected the "Cloud Bugs" weren't organic. Still, she had hoped there would be something that pointed to whatever created them. The reason for them attacking she could speculate on though. "Could be that we damaged one without knowing it when we put down the beacon." She suggested. "I would suggest trying an EMP pulse to disable them if we don't want to kill them. I'll sleep soundly either way."

She looked over the two newcomers carefully. Her lips turned up in a grin. When it came down to it, she preferred men because they were so much easier to get into bed. So she was glad to have more men around. "Hello, boys. I'm the new medic, Brigid. Just come to me if you have any medical problems or need any... detailed examinations. Especially if it's an issue with swelling." Brigid said with a wink of her big blue eyes.

She was annoyed that she had been unable to do anything for Hana. There was really only so much Yamatai would allow the other nations to know about how Nekos tick. She was afraid to try anything different on the girl because of the tamper-proofing on Neko bodies. One step too far and she could have killed her by accident.

Wardroom

Tanja smiled softly as she saw her crew discussing the little information they did have to try and piece together the situation. To her, it was like a parent watching their children grow up and become adults, after all despite her looks she was about the age to consider such things.

Stefan spoke up to answer some of the questions, however. "We do not know why they attacked us, the possibility that we damaged one is there, but also the signals from the beacon affecting them. There is also the chance that they simply noticed us at that time. It is hard to say."

Tanja nodded and then folded her arms. "As for more intelligent life...we are hoping that that will be the case, of course, non-hostile though. That is why we were sent in instead of a military vessel so that it would not be taken as the start of a war."

"We can't let that stop us though. We're going to need to place down beacons as we go, or we will get lost out here. The range is pretty big so we do have some time before we need to place the second one, but we'll have to go out expecting a fight."

Stefan cleared his throat at that. "Also we are not sure 'how' these things work, we've seen signs of life in them, that's how we know they are alive, but right now they mostly appear as a lump of metal' to our science. No wondrous technologies that we can understand yet."

Last edited:
Wardroom

Nan stood up suddenly and in a flourish and pointed at Stefan dramatically but his voice was comically calm for all that, "Challenge accepted! Ana, Mother and me will get right on it." He made the motion of cracking his knuckles but it actually made no sound. The FARS unit known as Mother gave a heavy sigh saying, "It's 'and I' Nan. Ana. Mother and I will get right on it. And don't slouch." She bobbed out of the room heading to gather Nan's tools.

Nan gave the unit a shocked look out of the corner of his eye, the boy never once having been known to slouch. He gave a meek smile and a small shrug, "Maybe I programmed her a little too close to her namesake. Anyway, " he waved that conversation away, "Ana, let's make like a tree and leaf these A-dults to their talkie talkie business." He exited the room looked both ways started to go the right way but then whipped his head back and went the wrong way mumbling, "Ooooo shiny..."

Last edited:
Wardroom

Ana let out a small breath as she said softly, "Alright. So long as it's clear that we don't attack first. I am all for defending ourselves, but maybe if we try to talk with them again...who knows..." She turned and started to head out, following Nan to see what all they could find out about these "bugs" that they were up against so far. She was a bit amused at Mother. Before she disappeared, though, she glanced back at Quinn and gave him a small smile, hoping to meet up with him again at a later time.

When Nan turned the wrong way, she grabbed his shoulder and dragged him back, "Deal with shiny later...we have a mission."

Quinn waved to Ana on her way out and he politely waited until she was out of earshot before he spoke up. "I don't mind an EMP if it's required, but just don't do it if I'm not shielded. I spent enough time trying to find my way around by touch, I'd rather not be that blind again." He got up and stretched, wincing a little as his shoulders ached in protest.

"I'll brush up on the new toys you have on board." He added, picking up his bag, and then the guitar and violin cases. He was fairly certain that they'd require more combative force and since Brigid seemed to have stepped up to the plate of Medic for the ship Quinn was going to have adapt moving forward. Learning a new skill wasn't beyond his means, especially if that meant he was more useful to the crew.

"For now I'm going to go put these away." Quinn paused on his way out, glancing over at the quite suggestive woman. "And if you'll look you'll find all of my medical files already in the system. I was, after all, the first medic on the ship." He winked for her benefit and then headed out, going down to the B-rooms to pick one out and get his gear settled there. He shot off a message to Ana so she could find him when things calmed down some. He was pretty sure they had a snuggly reunion to get out of the way.

Wardroom

"Oh, and just a thought," Adiel suddenly piped up. "If at all possible, we should attempt to recover some of the scrap from the, er, bugs. They would fetch a high price to the right buyer."

Whether Adiel meant a legal buyer or not was anyone's guess.

Ash looked at Adiel with a devious smile.

"Now you are starting to think like a salvager, Adiel. Nothing should ever be left to waste. The remains of the cloud bugs could be useful for study or for raw materials, or even some profit."

Wardroom

Brigid watched Quinn leave, then turned her gaze to Adiel. So far he and Ash seemed to be the most interesting crew members. Ana could be fun to tease, though, she thought. She would have to do something to pass the time around here. Her current hope was that some of the crew would reciprocate the flirting.

The redhead grinned at Adiel. "You want to come to my cabin after this? I'm sure we can find something to do until we reach the next beacon site." She said seductively. "Anyone else who wants to come is welcome of course," Brigid added, turning to wink at Ashtoreth.

Wardroom

"Our professions may be different, but our goals are the same: profit." Adiel replied to Ash with a wry little smile.

Wardroom

The redhead grinned at Adiel. "You want to come to my cabin after this? I'm sure we can find something to do until we reach the next beacon site." She said seductively. "Anyone else who wants to come is welcome of course," Brigid added, turning to wink at Ashtoreth.

Adiel looked to Brigid, his face neutral, for a few moments.

"I agree," he said, his lips spreading into a smile. "We could be much more productive elsewhere."

He walked towards the door and stopped next to Brigid. He looked back at Ash and barely contained his laughter.

"Don't be shy! Two's a tango, but three is always a crowd." He snickered to the Iroma. He wasn't really serious, but the opportunity to yank Ash's chain was too good to pass up.

Wardroom

Tanja smiled at the energy her crew gave off, they were already starting to get along and it did not look like there would be much in the way of problems in the future. There was one thing she had to speak up on though, so she cleared her throat. "We will be doing research on the CloudBugs, but we won't be selling any of it on the markets, it could result in some dangerous things down teh line and I don't want blood on my hands for that."

"The ASE would not be happy either." Gabi spoke up, it was a rare occasion that it did so without being prompted. "They might even blow us up." The synthetic life form eyed Stefan as it said that last part.

Stefan chuckled at that and responded rather light hearted. "If they blow us up I'd be in trouble too so please don't do it."

Tanja held back a chuckle of her own at Stefan's words. "I don't think they'll blow us up. For now, everyone enjoy yourselves."

As Nan walked the corridors with Ana he casually put his arm around her shoulders. "Sis, we missed you. It's so good to see you. Things have been ok? Oh, you have got to see these pics."

Nan tapped his PHC and flung the images up before him in a holographic panorama. (See Back in Business). "It was so much fun. We listened to music, we toured this really cool ship and almost started an international incident! And now I get to delve into an unknown intelligence! This is great!"

At about that time Mother came bobbing out with Nan's tool kit. "Say, um...do you know where these things are cause I don't."

Ana smiled as she felt her brother's arm around her. She looked at the pictures when he brought them up and blinked, "How did you get this to happen? I mean...it's neat and all...but surely it wasn't all at the same time." She sighed softly to answer his questions as well. "As for how things have been...well okay I guess. I missed you and Quinn. And when we set the first beacon...it was rather fun. Stefan has promised that I will get to help program the others...as we go along." She looks over at Nan, "If that's okay with you. I know you program all the time..."

She trailed off for a bit before motioning to one of the cargo holds, "They should be in here...I think. Stefan was to set up a lab of sorts."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back