• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Whatsup folks?

ElishaOtama

Inactive Member
Hi, I'm usually not one for introduction, just wanted to pop up and join after reading these fascinating roleplays. Alas, my eyes are a bit on the poor side and I was wondering whether poor grammar and wording will affect my roleplaying on here?

Last edited:
Welcome to the community! I'm Tom, and I've been a part of SARP since 2005.

Don't worry too much about wording or grammar when first starting out. Many of us at SARP started out with pretty basic writing skills and improved as we went along. Practice makes perfect, you know!

If you need any help finding a plot or making a character, don't hesitate to ask!

We're also here to answer any questions you may have about the setting and stuff. There's a lot out there, so don't be afraid to ask questions if you need an explanation about something!

The only thing sci-fi i'm familiar with as of late...

Doctor Who, Mass Effect, and Star Wars...

I would love something similar to Mass Effects narrative ways. As for settings, the Yamatai and their nekos are quite neat and of an interest! What would you recommend?

hey and welcome, it doesn't really matter as long as they understand what you meant, sometimes they can say that it is bad.

I love mass effect, it is a good story, and I say it is up to you for a character the yamataian and nekos are good, but if something catches your eyes in the creating characters wiki page, go for it.

well my two characters on here are 1) eylisian (the angels) and 2) a minkan (yamataian) they are both good and fun to play as, and you seem cool btw.

Don't worry if you don't know everything. That's what the wiki is for. It takes a little time to get used to but is definitely the best setup one could ever ask for.

Be sure to check out the New Player Guide to get started. Happy writing!

Oh, and welcome to SARP.

Welcome to the community, please enjoy your stay here. I'm sure you'll find the site to your liking as have I. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. I'm fairly new but I've perused the website to take in as much detail about the lore since I only just recently joined.

Alas, my eyes are a bit on the poor side and I was wondering whether poor grammar and wording will affect my roleplaying on here?
hey and welcome, it doesn't really matter as long as they understand what you meant, sometimes they can say that it is bad.

*cringes*

No, grammar, spelling, and syntax are important, and they do matter. Disregard any advice to the contrary, particularly when they're written by someone who doesn't capitalize the first letter of their run-on sentence. Sorry, @BloodyScarlet. ;)

However, most everyone here is nice enough not to lynch mob you if you make the occasional typo - they happen. And even though I myself am an admitted Grammar Nazi, I won't judge you as long as it looks like you're trying to improve. As @Tom stated before me, "practice makes perfect." I'd also chime in a little extra bit of wisdom: don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong. :)

As I'm sure you've seen by now, there is a LOT of information on the wiki, but don't feel obligated to know it all by heart. There are a number of factions that you can join, or you can look at going independent (non-faction-aligned), which is a part of the SARP community that seems to be gaining momentum in recent months. There are also several races you can pick from; as a reference, Nepleslians are your "baseline" humans.

If you haven't already, check out the new player's guide to point you in the right directions. The character creation guide is here. Also, just in case you aren't familiar with the way that forum RP works, we do everything in terms of "plots" here, which equate in essence to game sessions run by a GM. It's possible for them to intermingle, although it's not common (in my experience, someone else may correct me). You can find a list of the active plots as well as their relevant information and links here. Even if a plot is closed, if it looks interesting to you, talk to the GM anyway. You never know, they may be able to work you in, or at least keep you on retainer if a slot opens up. :)

On the topic of characters, feel free to make as many as you like, provided that you can keep up with them all. There are players here who have ten or more PCs, and others (like myself) who only have one with a ridiculous amount of detail. So if you want to have one character in every single faction, or even every single plot, go right ahead, if you think you can manage it. :p

There is also the Open Roleplaying Forum, where you can jump right in without needing to go through the application and approval process for your character. It's considered good manners to ask the original poster of a thread before jumping in, or you can make your own and invite others to join in. The pacing in that area does vary a lot, however, depending on how many and which players are involved, and there are times when nothing happens there at all, so bear that in mind.

Feel free to ask any questions you have here or on the IRC channel (which you can reach via a link at the top of the page here, just below the Star Army logo). Lots of people here are more than willing to help out.

Welcome to SARP, and happy RPing!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back