• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Where Do I Find Guns For My Character?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
THE GUN SHOP

All light personnel weapons in the SARP that have pictures can be found at the page linked above (with prices, too!). Most of them have links to larger pages about the weapons, too. Hopefully even more to come (for example, the railguns that have been posted recently).

Last edited:
What about obtaining guns or other weapons for characters who are in "less-than-lawful" linss of wor and would prefer to avoid official channels?

Would that involve RPing out black market transactions, including finding a dealer, etc. as well as the transactions themselves?

I think it would depend on where you are buying it. Buying it off the black market (if there is one) on Yamatai would probably be a lot harder and require rp, as opposed to Halna, where the whole market is black.

You might hook up with a salvager. There's a lot of military equipment that's been found in debris fields from huge battles.

Yes, a salvager or a pirate is in a prime position to get weapons for next to nothing.

Keep in mind that pirates are opportunists, and will likely salvage when given the chance, or if they keep getting beaten in battles.

What exactly would a pirate who gets beaten in battle have to salvage? I can understand a pirate who keeps beating the opposition in battle, but the loser of a battle is generally the one whose ship becomes salvage, not the winner, unless its a huge fleet battle in which both sides take losses, and pirates aren't likely to have enough ships to lose two of those.

A pirate who loses in battle will run away before they can be destroyed, usually. The interdiction Field may give them trouble, though...still, Pirate ships should have higher STL speeds.

I was just thinking about how to buy something, which would be a simple task because I could have it delivered onto my ship. However, my situation seems a bit astray, therefore I needed some answers.

My circumstances for my character are:
- NH-X done stole our plotship! Don't ask.
- Me + Rest of crew are Stranded on some rock in Kohana Cloud.
- The weapon I'm looking for is somewhat exotic/unusual.

I'm going after a weapon called a Jitte, it resembles a baton with a prong coming off one side which is used to disarm attackers. They're around 45-55 CM long and are made with a lightweight, strong metal with a rubberised or leather grip. Wiki it if you want more information.

Anyway, I'd say one costs around 30-60 KS. But how do I get my grubby little mits one?

I supposee they could... but now I'm curious: what skill areq would forging (not to be confused with forgery, which would probaly be in th Rogue area) fall under? I'm planning to have my character (who would've been posted more than a day ago if I hadn't suddenly remembbered I had an unfinished paper due later today) be skilld in hand-to-hand and melee combat, and somewhat less so at ranged combat (except for throwing knives and such), and it would be nice to be able to forge her own weapons.

Yeah. It depends on the technology level of the weapon you're trying to forge. I can see someone really obsessed with swords becoming proficient in sword-smithing, even in Star Army's futuristic setting. Even an experienced gun-smith would have trouble making a gun from scratch though (and by scratch, I mean some molds, wires, scrap metal, and a forge).

If by "gun" you mean "crude hand cannon", then they won't even need any wire (well, maybe as a tool for scraping or cleaning the inside of the barrel, but not as raw materials). If you mean a xaser rifle or a P90, you're definitely going to need either some nanobots (or something equivalent or better) or proper facilities and materials.

On the other hand, you probably actually could improvise a crude coilgun/Gauss Rifle with some molds, a lot of wire, and some scrap metal (you'd need the projectiles to be ferromagnetic, and the weapon iteslf not), or a crude railgun (though the rails will probably be only good for one or a few shots before needing repair or replacement unless they were cannibalized from your crashed ship), if you had the appropriate skills, and then you'd just need a power (voltage) source. It is also worth noting that given a basic understanding of electricity and magnetism, a dozen or two car batteries, and either two conductive rails and some conductive projectiles or a long tube, a spool of low-gauge wire and some ferromagnetic projectiles, could make a crude railgun or coilgun, respectively - I could probably make one in real life with these parts; as for the power of the weapon, well, I won't be abe to give any numbers until I get my hands on a decent numerical integration tool (since the rails have finite length), but I HIGHLY doubt it would do more than scratch the paint of unshielded power armor)

Edit: I just remembered the open computer lab in the Math building, and I plan to crunch some numbers after class to get some numbers for muzzle velocity vs. current, railgun length, projectile mass and gap/projectile width (note that the projectile mass does not affect the kinetic energy of the projectile, only its speed).

What about melee or simple ranged weapons, like blades and axes (for cutting or for combat), bows (and arrows), darts, throwing knives, sais, shuriken (the regular variety, not the "high-tech" variety - don't ask), darts, poison darts and hallucinogen-coated throwing knives?

Unless I'm mistaken, Star Army ships have some sort of nanoassemblers that can produce basic items on demand. I'm not sure how cheap this process is for public use, but I'm sure we could get some company to produce 'vending machine' type devices to produce all those little miscellaneous things on demand for a few credits.

Suppose you actually like to make your own stuff, or your character is a Seelie or some other "low-tech" race that doesn't have nanoreplicators, or for whatever other reason that is not an option? I'd guess Arts and Vocational, but I'm not sure (especially in the case of a crossbow - which wouldn't be entirely useless, especially for sniping/assassination or launching explosive quarrels).

RPG-D RPGfix
Back