• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Where is the Gravity Manipulation Organ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edto Xar'Sivaree

Lizard Freak!
Inactive Member
I have a feeling this has never been brought up, but I have... a need of sorts to know where it is.

What I was thinking was that its an organ that sends out signals or special Nanomachines that allow the Neko to fly around. Alternate gravity around her.

Wes commented that it may be a series of organs connected to the bones. Personally to me that doesn't really make sense?

Solution
After a thorough search the wiki, it appears there is no such thing as a "gravity manipulation organ."

The inertia-controlling/anti-gravity ability seems to be distributed throughout the body (it wouldn't make sense otherwise, particularly for things like Sora-mai).

I've updated the Nekovalkyrja (Type 33) page to add that.
It believe it's a property nested in pretty much all nekovalkyrja cells.

Each cell generates or is the recipient of electric energy. That means that the body generates its own magnetic emissions, its own magnetic field.

Under the clause of handwavium technobabble, I kind of ascribe gravity manipulation to have the same root. I also think it meshes nicely with nothing specfic needing to be wounded for a neko to lose her antigravity control, and that being battered or in a state of exhaustion is also hinders flight. Besides, I kind of like the idea of this being spread over rather than one specific thing because it does provide a plausible blanket protection to acceleration; I know we're talking about imaginary sci-fi stuff, but if select parts of the neko body did the gravity handling I'd be inclined to think other parts wouldn't fare quite as well under high stress.

Fred, you are really making it hard for Zoia to have an inkling of a chance in this tournament ;^;

As an Edit to my post though, I have a counter point @Fred

I have heard it mentioned several times that the Neko have a Gravity manipulation Organ. Even Wes in chat indirectly confirmed there is an organ when I initially asked there where it was.

• Today at 10:25 AM
  • Edto Xar'Sivaree: Alrighty thenToday at 10:21 AM

• Wes: You should start a setting discussion thread. I'd like to hear Nashoba and Fred's ideas on that.Today at 10:18 AM
  • Edto Xar'Sivaree: If its a whole bunch of organs, then that seems all over the placeToday at 10:16 AM

• Edto Xar'Sivaree: I kinda need to know ;^;Today at 10:15 AM

• Wes: ¯\(°_o)/¯Today at 10:15 AM
  • Edto Xar'Sivaree: I think it would make more sense if it were an organ that released a signal to the NanobotsToday at 10:11 AM

• Edto Xar'Sivaree: Not just gives them the ability to move?Today at 10:08 AM

• Edto Xar'Sivaree: So the organ itself lifts them?Today at 10:08 AM

• Legix: @Wes - See the new state of New Bernese?Today at 10:07 AM
  • Wes: Like, a little bit on various skeleton parts etcToday at 9:56 AM
  • Wes: I would assume it's something spread out so it doesn't feel like being hung from a coathangar when you use it.Today at 9:56 AM
  • Wes: Geee....I never though about where it is...Today at 9:56 AM
  • Edto Xar'Sivaree: She is taking a minor in biologyToday at 8:54 AM

• Edto Xar'Sivaree: Oh you know, Biology?Today at 8:53 AM

• Edto Xar'Sivaree: You see, Zoia is buddy buddy with a Neko TeacherToday at 8:53 AM

• Edto Xar'Sivaree: I have a plan for thatToday at 8:53 AM

• Rhysis: The trick there is, she has to find out its location IC. You knowing doesn't do squat for her. :DToday at 8:52 AM
  • Edto Xar'Sivaree: So that she can tear it out of the next neko she fights and eat it to gain its powerToday at 8:47 AM

• Navian: DOH. HOH. O.Today at 8:44 AM
  • Navian: Maybe it's at their center of gravity?Today at 8:44 AM
  • Edto Xar'Sivaree: Zoia needs to know where this unfair advantage is!Today at 8:38 AM

• Edto Xar'Sivaree: God damnit XDToday at 8:37 AM

• Rhysis: Pfft. That's easy. It's in the same spot where Nightmare Mishhu have it. You are welcome!Today at 8:32 AM
  • Edto Xar'Sivaree: Where it it?Today at 8:13 AM

• Edto Xar'Sivaree: So now the question Zoia has is...Today at 8:13 AM

• Navian: Nekos have the 'military version', Minkans have the 'civilian version'.Today at 8:12 AM
  • Navian: Yamataians have a 'gravity manipulation organ', yes.Today at 8:07 AM
  • Edto Xar'Sivaree: So the thing that controls gravity is an Organ right? In the Neko?

Of course, this can be changed at any time currently as it's not confirmed.

Last edited:
I have heard it mentioned several times that the Neko have a Gravity manipulation Organ. Even Wes in chat indirectly confirmed there is an organ when I initially asked there where it was.

Maybe for the older nekos (pre-NH-17). It wasn't really ever addressed later on. Mostly by omission; I think we were fine with handwavium.

I do think my previous answer holds up to scrutinery given thier composition, but my authority on it in only on the initial conception push for this current generation of neko. Nashoba is actually the one that went and implemented the NH-33s into an actual thing, so he's really the final authority on this.

If we must absolutely make it an organ that must be able to defy gravity, there's only one appropriate place that can be for our anime-inspired catgirls in best anime tradition. The boobs. ;-)
After all, that's where the rocket fuel was stored in during the neko heydays (NH-7). Nyahaha.

Maybe for the older nekos (pre-NH-17). It wasn't really ever addressed later on. Mostly by omission; I think we were fine with handwavium.

I do think my previous answer holds up to scrutinery given thier composition, but my authority on it in only on the initial conception push for this current generation of neko. Nashoba is actually the one that went and implemented the NH-33s into an actual thing, so he's really the final authority on this.

If we must absolutely make it an organ that must be able to defy gravity, there's only one appropriate place that can be for our anime-inspired catgirls in best anime tradition. The boobs. ;-)
After all, that's where the rocket fuel was stored in during the neko heydays (NH-7). Nyahaha.

Hand Wavium won't exactly work because I sorta need to know where it is... Like, where it is isn't so much the issue more like if its there at all. One of my characters is known for not exactly fighting fair, and I need to know where the organ is so that well... I can level the playing field :p

After a thorough search the wiki, it appears there is no such thing as a "gravity manipulation organ."

The inertia-controlling/anti-gravity ability seems to be distributed throughout the body (it wouldn't make sense otherwise, particularly for things like Sora-mai).

I've updated the Nekovalkyrja (Type 33) page to add that.

Solution
The page about the NH-29 creation process says the 'specialized organs', including the gravity organ and digital brain, are created after the skeleton but before the more usual vital organs. Along with everything else, that implies that in the NH-29 at least, it's specialized, and not a property of all, or even most cells.

I joked that it would probably be at their center of gravity, but that's at least half-serious... otherwise it'd be pretty hard to use to fly and maneuver safely. On the other hand, if it is in a central spot, that makes it harder to accelerate or decelerate quickly, because the rest of the body would have to catch up. The 'inertia control' part wouldn't really work unless it was distributed through the skeleton, and then some.

Distributing the ability more would be an upgrade for using gravity manipulation in combat not only because it would be harder to disable the ability, but also because it would work better by nature if Nekos aren't at risk of ragdolling or punching themselves in the gut by using the organ wrong!

Spaceships seem to have specialized inertial dampening systems that are distributed, centrally powered, but can protect the structures, the occupants, and any cargo without being extended through everything, I like to imagine something like that being in force. It'd keep Nekos from getting sick when they fly after drinking a lot, among other things...

Yeah, inside the bones, or some sort of mesh laid over or twisting around them (if the bone marrow is too busy producing nano-machines and stuff) is what I'd imagine. To be an easy target, the organ system would also need to be a crude design that doesn't distribute load very well, making it effective also makes it hard to pinpoint.

If it's working on the whole body, tearing it up would be incapacitating anyway, since so many muscles, nerves, and other tissues would be getting torn up at the same time. The only way it'd have a single point weakness is if it required more energy than the body can naturally produce, and economies of scale led to there being a central power supply for it, but that doesn't seem to fit the design philosophy... except maybe for Nekos that are supposed to wear power armour that's powered by the wearer instead of by something built into the suit, I don't know if that's still a thing.

• Changed "gravity manipulation organ" to "gravity manipulation system" on the Nekovalkyrja creation process article.

The page about the NH-29 creation process says the 'specialized organs', including the gravity organ and digital brain, are created after the skeleton but before the more usual vital organs. Along with everything else, that implies that in the NH-29 at least, it's specialized, and not a property of all, or even most cells.

I joked that it would probably be at their center of gravity, but that's at least half-serious... otherwise it'd be pretty hard to use to fly and maneuver safely. On the other hand, if it is in a central spot, that makes it harder to accelerate or decelerate quickly, because the rest of the body would have to catch up. The 'inertia control' part wouldn't really work unless it was distributed through the skeleton, and then some.

Distributing the ability more would be an upgrade for using gravity manipulation in combat not only because it would be harder to disable the ability, but also because it would work better by nature if Nekos aren't at risk of ragdolling or punching themselves in the gut by using the organ wrong!

So then, potentially, a skin of sorts attached to the skeleton?

• Changed "gravity manipulation organ" to "gravity manipulation system" on the Nekovalkyrja creation process article.
Why not try to figure it out rather than making that big of an alteration? There are several IC posts that refer to it as an organ. That's a lot of canon to have to change.

Roughly. Skin is a protective layer, and this would be more of a supportive means of distributing energy and exerting force, like the connective tissues and muscles. Skin is technically an organ, if semantic accuracy is at stake! This could be too, if it's all linked together from head to toe.

It might be interesting if someone's arm gets injured badly enough that their gravity organ no longer works on that limb, the same way it might lose other abilities from a torn muscle, severed nerve, or broken bone.

Why not try to figure it out rather than making that big of an alteration? There are several IC posts that refer to it as an organ. That's a lot of canon to have to change.

I mean, I'd always assumed that it was just inherent to every cell in a Neko's body since it'd always been depicted as a very precise ability with few flaws or ways to detect a Neko using it. Don't think mistaken representations should be called retcons or keep us from correcting the wiki, honestly.

That's a lot of canon to have to change.
Actually, no. It's not. Nekovalkyrja makeup has advanced through iterations. I can tell you that I've spent years believing the nekovalkyrja anti-grav was not some centralized organ - I certainly never perceived it that way with 9+ years in SARP. I certainly don't feel I'm greatly affected by the change - if it is one. I see it as the precision of an inaccuracy, which neatly addresses the three latest versions of the neko (NH-27/NH-29/NH-33)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back