• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Wiki Wants

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
I go some questions for you guys!

1. What types of pages does the wiki currently need most?

2. Which does it need the least?

3. What pages need updates the most?

4. What pages need illustrations the most?

- - -

Here's my thoughts:

1. We need pages that are enjoyable to read, give players stuff they can do, are imaginative, fun/funny, and/or impressive. Stuff that inspires and makes people want to RP there and to share it. Also keep in mind a sense of history is the top thing people are looking for. I think pages that surprise or present novel (new or unique) stuff is another good answer. Things that keep stuff fresh.

2. The wiki doesn't need: firearms without art, places with insufficient detail (including star systems that are just stats, one-paragraph places) and nothing to do there ("airless rock planet with nothing of interest"). Cookie cutter pages that are extremely similar in content to other pages.

3. Locations by far. We've got over 500 in RP and very few have been updated to the new place template that has people and RP opportunities (and rumors) sections added. Also any pages on the new player's path need updating to be as clear as motivating as possible.

4. I think locations could strongly benefit from art. Also would like to see more art for some of the more rare species in SARP like Phods, Delsaurians, etc. Anything to make Star Army more visually sci-fi.

Also, as a general note: I feel like the wiki works best when it's closely connected to RP. That means adding links to the RP and actually RPing the things added to the wiki.

What are your thoughts?

Here goes :)

1. What types of pages does the wiki currently need the most?
  • We need pages that are easier to understand for new players. Now don't get me wrong, nerding out on tech is great but not everyone is gifted with the vision to understand what is meant by certain things.
  • We need pages that are ready for the grab for GMs and players to add to their plot or character background. Cultural things, locations, or just events that give details as to what happened. This could give people the ability to take the development of their character a step further.
  • We need pages that are focus on culture, if it's Yamatai or NDC, every faction has a certain bar of culture that defines them for who they are. This would significantly help new players.
  • Factions: While the pages are hard on the way in various factions, its just a thing that keeps coming back for me, it needs constant attention that pages are updated and still relevant.
2. Which does it need the least?
  • Less tech, we need to look at the pages that we got and update these first. Does a firearm need an update or has it run its course? Does a starship need a refit after serving so many years?
  • Fewer planets, Wes already stated it but we need to look at the planets, star systems that have a low description and fill those pages out.
3. What pages need updates the most?
  • As stated by Wes, we need planets that require updates. They can be used for so many things, but if a planet has almost no information or is pre-generated then what use does it have?
  • The secondary is the tech that needs updating if it's a refit of a ship or a model of a gun that needs a newer update. It would be great to see it all get more....attention. Making tech is fun, but is it still in use? Does it sell? Or is it shown in RP?
  • The other thing that needs updating and this is mostly a focus of my own is getting Struct updated on every single page in Star Army. But it helps if people would take it along the way when their submission is approved.
4. What pages need illustrations the most?
  • Locations: I would say that most locations that I have seen need an art update, so that is something that needs focus on. How does a city look like, a planet or Star System? Do you have a general idea for grand statues visualization?
Just some thoughts from my side of what I have noticed :)

• We have fun and so should the people who read our articles!
  • We need pages that tell characters of professions how to use the equipment! Guides that explain how something works in roleplay.
  • We need things that enrich the setting; culture, landmarks, places people can hold roleplay! Plot hooks that give GMs tools to work with.
  • Refits, Improvements, Upgrades, and art on old stuff vs. making new stuff.
  • The wiki doesn't need articles that are just created for the sake of creating them - they need to have a purpose in RP!
  • The wiki doesn't need another article that gets approved and the creator never opens it again - things like history need to evolve on products!
  • The wiki doesn't need more stub articles.
  • We need pages that don't read like toaster oven manuals and grocery lists!
  • Locations, Planets, Star Systems, Cities
  • Anything with a history section.
  • I can't think of anything that couldn't benefit from more or new art.

I think 1 and 3 are the same for my response. We (the wiki, the players, etc.) need to expand and diversify the sector more to be a more interesting place so theres always something new and interesting to do without the need for a global super-war to force people to be in those places. Many of our locations need love and updates as well to make them more interesting. And i dont mean just making more habitable worlds to expand factions but adding more variety to systems and planets with all kinds of modifiers and interesting changes and challenges and unique features that make them special.

And not just inside a factions borders but outside as well that are just neat and interesting places to explore and are full of adventure, mystery, and challenges for plotships and players to go to without a purple or green or blue backdrop to limit it to a faction but instead be open to any and everyone and shouldnt be open to claimant by a faction as yamatai is already very big even with the kuvexian gains and Nepleslia wont be expanding at all anytime soon until we have our own locations updated and given proper attention. Places like a SARP version of the bermuda triangle that causes weird phenomina, Distant and far off clusters of hostile locations not near the core of the sector where the factions wont expand and are untamed and dangerous, etc!

For 2 i think we need to work in a way so that articles that could be half their size dont need to be twice or three times more massive walls of text for simple concepts due to forced templates and standards. Im not saying allow people to be lazy but a simple concept or article should not have to look like a master thesis or feel like filling out a report when you should feel like you are partaking in a favored hobby and being creative and driven to create.

For 4 i can't think of much that needs dedicated art as most of what i make i can make a dedicated model for in a couple of hours or in my free time so ive never been left wanting.

How are we doing?

I definitely think there's been a trend towards improvement as we've been updating older articles with art and additional useful content. The update of places in Star Army isn't going as fast as I'd like, though. There's still so many "useless" places in Star Army that have little RP opportunities (systems and planets that are just a block of stats are like this) and haven't been in RP for years. I hope to keep fixing that with the Resurgence.

I have to ask again, though, what wiki pages does Star Army need the most? I'm more interested in hearing what we do need over what we don't.

I have to ask again, though, what wiki pages does Star Army need the most?
Pages that help people find other pages- hubs, indexes, whatever. Stuff that helps people find what they're actually looking for. Semantics.

Pages that help people find other pages- hubs, indexes, whatever. Stuff that helps people find what they're actually looking for. Semantics.
Yeah, recently I've been eying the top 50 words in the English language and thinking "maybe those should all be wiki pages." For example, one of the top words is "time," so maybe that should be the main hub for the timeline, history, years, et cetera. The idea is to make the stuff people search for the most and to label information in an obvious way.

General Improvement of existing pages aka making what we already have shine. Somewhat of a theme, I've decided on this year, at least for myself.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back