• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: Section 6 Willow of the Sands

Jack Pine

RP Date
YE 40
RP Location
188604: Osman City: Starport
188604/ Osman City/ Starport

The shuttle set down with a thump as its ramp lowered and it's passengers poured out. The day was hot as natural for a dessert world, the terminal building a short distance across the tarmac. The sandstorm made the building hard to see, but it was clearly there, a shadowed silhouette through the torrent of sand.

Faye, stepped off the shuttle. Wiping sleep from her eyes as she had napped the entire trip. She took in her surroundings, knowing that she would be here for a the long term. After a few minutes of standing almost perfectly still as if she were a statue, took her first steps towards the building. She could feel that this was going to be different from other jobs that she had taken up in the past. She proceeded to the terminal building, stopping right outside the doors to take one final breath before entering.

Inside was a noticeably less populated port then any other Faye had most likely come across before. People were wearing a diverse set of clothing. Some wearing much nicer clothes, having clearly come from off world as well, as others wore much simpler garments.

The terminal was not anything special, the only thing of interest Faye could see from the door way were recruitment posters. The floor under her feet was tracked with sand, and the air about the place was rather sedate, most people talking, or sitting as they waited for their flight.

Faye walked forward, searching with her eyes for the one she was supposed to meet up with. Unfortunately, she could not spot anyone that necessarily stood out. After thinking about for a few minutes she decided that she would buy something to eat, sit down, and wait for her contact to show.

The terminal had a modest food stand style court, the menu consisting of normal food such as noodles, hotdogs, burgers, and other common fast food. A man stood just to the side leaning against the front of the stand, a cup of coffee in one hand, and a long object with a slight curved wrapped in cloth leaning against the stand as well as his hand rested on the top. The man was 6'2 with black hair, a goatee and short cut hair spiked in the front. He wore a a white shirt with a button up deep blue dress shirt worn open over it. Black boots, jeans, and a utility belt finished his outfit. He stuck out from the crowd.

Faye approached a small vendor selling a kind of fried dough. She purchased a serving and proceeded to sit down at a nearby table. She was just about to start eating when she was approached by the man from the counter. He took a open seat at the same table and at first was only quiet. Faye, slightly annoyed, remarked "You just gonna sit there and stare like a creep or are you going to at least say something?".

"I don't know miss Treyanna. Maybe you can answer some questions for me.", Mark said leaning back with a casual grin. Faye's frustration quickly melted away into surprise as she asked "Do i know you from somewhere or something or are you the guy i am supposed to be meeting with?".

"You recently put in a job request for SABER department of Section 6. I am Mark Oaklen, a Director of Section 6. Like my brother, I prefer to greet all our new applicants personally.", Mark explained after taking a sip from his coffee. Faye looked him in the eye, "Bet your starting to regret that decision now arent yah?" She remarked, chuckling a bit at the end.

Mark only grinned, "Not at all. I'm used to such reactions, and it's part of what I'm looking for in new recruits. Wariness of strangers, cool headed even when dealing with uncomfortable situations. But do I have one question for you......why Section 6?"

Faye seemed lost in thought for a moment then asked, "Can i be honest with you?".

"I prefer that you were yes."

Fay took a deep breath. "I am just tired of it, i am tired of working for companies that only care about making a profit no matter who it hurts. I am sick of sitting idly by as just a soldier. I want to make a difference, not just by fighting but also creating. I heard Section 6 has extensive research programs. You see this implant at my right eye? This was not made for me, i created this myself.". She sighs, " I have always had somewhat of a talent with technology and tinkering. I want to put that to use, in a way that would benefit more people than it would harm. I guess to sum it up, Section 6 is the closest to a cause i think i can actually believe in. Im not gonna fight any more wars that arent worth winning". She turns her head slightly, appearing distant now.

"I can understand that. Most governments have proven to be corrupt, and the people pay the price for it. Here S6 cares for the people, even if they don't realize that sometimes. We want to make this dust ball a home, one our children can grow up safe in." Mark says after a nod, "So that brings me to the my last question."

"Are you willing to pull the trigger to make that a reality?"

"I have seen a lot of shit throughout my time doing this mercenary work. iI know that we cannot save everyone. I know that the corruption and suffering will only get worse before its betetr, but as long as there is that goal at the end i will not hesitate to do whatever it takes. I am willing to work for that with every fiber of my being. If you will have me, my skills are yours, buth in combat and in research..". A serious and sure look washes over her face.

"Good, you start now. All your issued gear is at your new house. If you don't mind we'll head to the facility when you're ready.", Mark said with a grin.

"All of my possessions are in this bag, i am used to living pretty light", she points to her dufflebag which is now on the floor. " I have no reason to stay around here, lead they way 'Oh Mighty Leader'", she says with a chuckle.

Mark chuckles, "I doubt I'm a mighty leader. We've all done things we regret. It comes with the territory of being the person who pulls the trigger." He said this with a tinge of pain to his expression, but he was quick to hide it.

Faye's expression hardens. "Listen, we all have our fair share of sins, i sure as hell aint free of em. Sadly it comes in these lines of work. But the sooner we can accept those sins as a part of us. The sooner we can not only start making amends to the ones we have wronged, but the sooner we can start making amends with ourselves. I have plenty of regrets myself, but instead of letting them cause me pain, i let them fuel the drive to right those wrongs one day."

"I am well aware of that Miss Treyana. My hands have been stained with blood, but my peace lies with the death of one man. A man I honestly hope you never meet. But enough of our moping, do you have any questions as we depart?", Mark said as he got up.

"Just one," she said as she stood up, "How much access to lab equipment will i have, a good portion of any free time i manage to get typically goes towards beaches and tinkering, and i don't exactly remember seeing a beach resort brochure when i get the memo to come here."

"Our labs are fully equipped, and we have six science departments. Engineering, weapons, robotics/electeonics, fleet development, advanced R&D, and Medical. SABER is our 7th department, and our military branch. All our gear is developed and created in the labs. We have a fleet of 38 ships. I'll get you in our system for the mainframe, and an access card.", Mark said as he produced a datapad from his pocket and handed it to Faye, "Also we have an Oasis camp, though with the storm. I doubt it will be sunny there any time soon, but if you need a break and don't mind a bit of a drive, it's open to you."

"Well i think we should be off. Its getting late and if thay guy is anything to go by", she points to a man passed out in his seat, "this place is going to start smelling like a tavern and looking like a crime scene soon enough.".

"Agreed, right this way.", Mark offered, gesturing towards the exit. He lead her out side to the parking lot where a U5 six wheeled transport with closed cab and rear bed waited. He hopped into the jeep's driver seat, and waited for her to climb in before starting the engine.

As she hopped in memories of her past flooded through her mind. She took a moment to collect herself before whispering, "Things will be better now". She finished climbing and and they departed.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back